Front diff failure

Submitted: Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:06
ThreadID: 120122 Views:2461 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've just read something on front differential failures which may be of interest to the group. This related to a front diff failure on a Series 100 Cruiser but it seems that it has happened with other models too.
When reversing uphill under extreme conditions, the additional weight placed on the front diff can cause failure of the crown & pinion. Given the extra weight imposed by a BT, this may be one to keep in mind regardless of your choice of truck - your front diff may not be designed to carry as big a load as the rear one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:08

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:08
Interesting. Front Diff Lock on or off? Certainly heard more vulnerable when front locker on. Griff
AnswerID: 559641

Reply By: Wadefarers - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:09

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:09
Kiwi From memory ( and alzeimers can affect this) I seem to recall reading in an old 4X4 magazine that the front diffs on LC's were the same as those used in Four Runners and HiLuxes and therefore were not as strong as Nissan's front diffs. I'm not sure if that carried on from the 80 series but wouldn't be surprised. Maybe Larry (gonebushwa) can confirm? Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 559642

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:10

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 05:10
Hi Jeff, Essentially that is correct......... and I know what you mean about alzeimers .....but at least you get to meet new people every day and never hear the same joke twice The Patrols drivetrain is justifiably renowned as being 'bullet proof' and this has continued into the GUs whilst LCs still have some real issues (and this comes from personal experience). In particular the front diff as has been mentioned, various clutch problems (the ARB LC 100 here has had 3 clutch rebuilds in 100,000 ks), the bearing in the front of the transfer box supporting the output shaft for the front driveshaft is weak and the LSD is useless after 10,000 ks or so.. The front locker increasing vulnerability of the front diff is one that I have heard of with the LCs but I don't know for sure. regards Larry
AnswerID: 559643

Our Sponsors