Webasto Heaters. Exhaust noise

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:57
ThreadID: 120129 Views:2942 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In early August, I had a Webasto heater fitted to our van and had cause to use it a few times when we were camped away from Power at the Gympie Muster. While using it I had 3 neighbouring campers ask what the noise was and one (in the tent next to us) asked if I would turn it off so that he could sleep. When we had the heater fitted I elected not to have a muffler fitted because I had been told that it didn't make much difference. Now that there are a few Bushtrackers with the Webasto Heaters fitted, 1. has anyone else had the problem of people camped nearby asking them to turn them off? 2. Has anyone fitted the Webasto muffler or any other type of muffler, that can give a report as to whether it makes sufficient difference to the exhaust noise to warrant installing one? They are a great heater and make only a low fan noise inside, but I suppose that in the still of night the outside noise could be annoying to other campers. I don't hear it because I am as snug as a bug in my Bushtracker, fast asleep. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wadefarers - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:59

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:59
Brian Had mine on a couple of weeks ago but didn't get a complaint (no muffler fitted). Will be away on the long weekend down Braidwood way and might have to use it there. If so will report further. With the warmer weather coming, experimentation might have to wait. (Sauna could be uncomfortable) Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 559670

Reply By: Motley - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:00

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:00
Brian, We had our heater fitted while the van was being repaired. Got the opportunity to try it out on the way south. Second night at Gilgandra, the guy from the next van came over to ask how long the noise would go on for. We knew the noise was there, but hadn't appreciated that it might disturb others. Spoke to Turist who told me he had a muffler fitted at time of installation. I contacted Webasto and bought a muffler from them (about $60 including clips and delivery). I fitted it on the weekend. Haven't had a chance to try it out in a public caravan park yet, but the noise reduction is very appreciable. It now approximates the noise of the gas hot water service when heating. It is certainly less that the noise before. Pete
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 559671

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:01

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:01
Thanks for the advise, Pete, we fitted the exhaust and you can notice the difference. Lets hope we don't get any more complaints, or we might have to try a second muffler. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 559672

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:02

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:02
I currently have a Webasto heater in the OKA for evaluation (it gets quite cold at night up here when away from the coast).

The optional silencer is extremely effective. It reduces exhaust noise to little more than a whisper.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 559673

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:03

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 03:03
Just an observation ... I was in a campground with Griff on the weekend and switched his Webasto on to check the noise and operation as its the first one I've heard in the flesh. Although he has the muffler fitted I would still not camp at the rear of a webasto fitted van within say 15-20 metres of one of these if it ran all night. Once round to either side of the BT it was fine. Maybe an aftermarket small silenced muffler ( glass filled) might be better still ??? Amazing operation inside the BT especially plumbed into the ensuite .... bit of a must have really ....south of the border !!! Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 559674

Our Sponsors