Hi

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:26
ThreadID: 120132 Views:3542 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, We are about to become new B/T owners this Thursday 25/9/03. We are planning to travel around Australia for approx. 13-14 months, leaving this December and hoping everything goes okay. We have built ourselves a "tinnie", it is based on the design of the inflatable rescue boats that the surf lifesavers use but is built in aluminium. It looks awesome, our problem now is how to load it on the roof or the landcruiser, it weighs 125kg., so if anyone has some major brainwaves please let us know. We have learnt some things from this site already and intend to make use of it in the future. Kerrie and Paul and David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:28

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:28
Congrats on the delivery ..... what an adventure lies ahead !!! Regarding the tinnie loader ... I saw Andy load his tinnie onto the roof of the F250 with the aid of a " boatloader" ... one man operation and I couldnt down a stubbie in the time it took to load it .... Well maybe one if I was thirsty .....[smile] I think Brian has the same type of loader .... there are some pics in the Album section ... if they are still there. They will be able to advise costs ... brands ... ease of use etc Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ... Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 559682

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:29

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:29
As Anthony has said, our Boat Loader which is a Rhino Rack product would be suitable. We purchased ours from Roof Rack Galore on Gympie Road, Kedron (Almost next door to Kedron Caravans). These racks are only suitable for large 4WD vehicles as they are loaded by placing a "H" shape piece of aluminium in the tow hitch receiver, sit the boat on the ground with rear at the rear of the vehicle and then connecting ropes that are pre set to length to each side of the rear of the boat and another 2 ropes then connect on each side about 2/3rds along the length of the boat. You then use a handle to wind the boat firstly to the vertical position using the "H" shaped aluminium to protect the rear of the vehicle as it rubs on it while going into the vertical position. Once it is vertical it then raises the boat still vertical for 2 to 3 feet before allowing it to then lower in a controlled manner to the horizontal on the roof rack. The boat is then moved forward to its final transport position. They say that the rope system is all that is required to hold the boat in place when travelling but Roff Racks Galore recommended 2 straps be put over the boat and secured to the roof rack to make sure. We only have the hand winch but a 12volt winch can be installed. It depends on how often you intend putting the boat up and down as to whether it is worth the money to have that fitted. I tried using a battery drill to do operate it, but the weight of the boat was too much for the drill. We live up at Noosa 40km from Bushtracker if you want to come up and see our boat loader. Brian.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559683

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:30

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:30
Hi Brian,

We knew about Roof Racks Galore and I had already spoken to Rhino roofracks.
We went across to see RRG this afternoon, but they don't have anything to
fit what we want to do. They recommend only a maximum of 100kg for the roof
and the boat it is 125kg. Their boat loader will not do the job according
to them. When I spoke to Rhino they told me their maximum load was only
70kg. So we are now back to square one and don't know what we will do.
Paul is trying to think of some way perhaps that we can put it on the front
of the BT with a frame on the drawbar. We will continue to work on it,
thanks for your advice.
Kerrie

>From: 'NoosaBushtrackers' <bmfox@tpg.com.au>
>Reply-To: 'Bushtracker Owners Group'
><BushtrackerOwnersGroup@groups.msn.com>
>To: 'Bushtracker Owners Group' <BushtrackerOwnersGroup@groups.msn.com>
>Subject: Re: Hi
>Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:12:47 -0700
>

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:31

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:31
Well, congratulations on you new purchase. Hope today went well for you, and by later this afternoon, you should have a stiff drink in hand, or at the very least, a strong coffee. The smile is still plastered on our faces - 3 months after pick up. It is a great day ! Hope to see you on the road Jan
AnswerID: 559685

Our Sponsors