new B/T

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:15
ThreadID: 120137 Views:2294 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, Well we took delivery of our B/T yesterday and are please with it and the colour scheme we chose. We were there most of the day going over everything with Paul. We meet fellow B/T owners Pam and Geoff (Seeker) and had a brief chat. Paul said that I was the first lady driver that he has seen drive the B/T away - I even got it home safely too! and it just fits in the front yard. David who is 12, and coming with us next year is so enamoured of it that he slept in it last night and wants to again tonight. One question for anyone, if they have a full annexe, do you use it and how often. We are tossing up whether to buy one or not? Talk to you all again soon. Kerrie, Paul and David.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:17

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:17
Kerri, CONGRATS on the new baby! Mum and Dad have a full annex for the BT. They got it mainly for extended stays or if the weather turns bad. But I think it will probly come in handy when David gets older and wants some space while your away. Dad says I can sleep in the annex anytime, he'll even put the sides on for me! I havn't taken him up on it yet, but mabe one day......
AnswerID: 559692

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:18

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:18
Congrats on the new toy, really gives you an oportunity to get away and pursue an alternate lifestyle. No lawns to mow, move if you do not like the neighbours etc. There are a few for and againsts with annexes. Some of the fors are - extra room particularly in bad weather - indispensible in "fly" country - provides shade on a slanting sun. Some of the againsts are - takes time to erect - - extra bulk and weight to carry - standard annex walls are restrictive and block the view. We have an annex but I suggest you should consider why you need would need one. The standard mesh windows do not come low enough and when lazing back, beer in hand, looking out at the world the high solid walls obstruct the view. Hence I would have mesh walls as much as is practical. . The extra mesh gives more ventilation. At one stage Sandra and I considered revamping our annex to have more mesh but abandonded the idea as the alterations would have cost as much as a new annex. An alternetive is to simply hang shade cloth around the awning. It may not be as insect proof as an annex but is lower cost, quick to erect and is quite effective. We carry shade cloth for short (2 - 3 night) stopovers. We tend to use the annex for longer, 2 weeks or more, stops. Usually however we just use the awning. We would not have bought an annex knowing what we know now. John
AnswerID: 559693

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:19

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:19
We dont have an annexe as we only camp a week (maybe two) at a time. At build time I had the twin windows put in to accommodate it in the future. I have been toying with the idea of a screen room. Last Easter at the coast was a bit annoying with the mozzies at Poona (dawn and dusk) and summer with the flies. As I have a sail track, that takes a 4m x 5m tarp, on top of the aussie traveller box I intend having this tarp out for shade and the aussie traveller comes out under the tarp and forms the screen room for eating in or having dinner at night outside with no mozzies or moths. I've been to aussie traveller and they will do a screen room no problem it would be much lighter than an annexe and fold up smaller .... still gives a reasonable view and would cut the wind somewhat. I imagine it would be easier than an annnexe to erect and take down. As it would be zippered to the aussie traveller you could easily put up one wall as a windbreak. Anthony Explore this Great land ... Do it Easy ... Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 559694

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:20

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:20
We have had our van since June 2001, and used 2 sides of the annex when camped in bush near Wiluna WA to protect us and 3 other couples from rain driving in from that corner. Then last October when in Canberra for a reunion, we had friends stay in the annex for a week with us. Otherwise it just goes along for the ride. Friends of ours who sometimes tend to stay in one place for 3 or 4 weeks use theirs but they had door put in both front and rear, and this makes it much more usable when in a caravan park. For people who have children, it reminds me of a caravan trip we did with our cousins about 20 to 25 tyears ago when our children were young. The cousin asked our son "how did you sleep?" he replied with "OK, but I don't know what mum and dad were doing, the van was rocking last night" The cousin had kept it to himself all these years and only told us this year. A good reason to have an annex and put the kids out there to sleep. Anthony, Kerrie & Paul, You had better get a full annex so that your night activities don't come back to haunt you later. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559695

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:21

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:21
We've had a fabric, windowed annexe for eight years - and have used it only twice in 150,000 km!.

Certainly a roof is necessary, as are fly screen surrounds. But for us at least, not walls.

Anyone who needs some cheap walls for an Aussie Traveller (about 3.6 metres long), used twice, drop me an email!
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 559696

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:22

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 04:22
This message has been deleted by the author.
AnswerID: 559697

Our Sponsors