Turist Is Back

Submitted: Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 00:02
ThreadID: 120139 Views:3654 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are back in Sydney and if we didn’t live where we do (on the water opposite the National Park0 we would be re-stocking the BT and heading north again. Cold and windy here and the last 300 k driving through a land gale, not nice.
A synopsis of the trip.
Departed Sydney, west to Bathurst for a free camp on top of Mount Panorama. Set the new and only lap time for BT and F250 of 14.73 Min, bit slower than Dick Johnson.

From Bathurst to Hill End, old gold mining town with history. Night temp –3º C but +25ºC inside thanks to Webasto.

From Hill End to Mudgee and a tour of the wineries. (by mini bus so we could sample without spitting)

Mudgee to Dubbo for the zoo, if you have not been there plan for it, a great day with animals in an almost natural environment.

Dubbo to Coonabarabran and the Warrumbungle National Park for a few days and a visit to Siding Springs observatory.

Coonabarabran to Bourke via Pilliga and Come By Chance with a good overnight camp by the river at Walgett.

Bourke to Hungerford for a beer at the old Cobb & Co pub and then to a camp in the national park 30k N of Hungerford.

Hungerford to Thargomindah and then to Thyangra Station, 50k SW and a camp on the banks of the Bulloo River. Yellow Belly in the river ane a good campsite.

Thyangra to Nockundra and a camp beside the river 600 mtr from the old pub.

Nockundra to Windorah via Eromanga. Camp beside the Cooper 7k E of Windorah.

Windorah to Longreach for the usual tourist stuff.
Longreach to Kynuna and a camp behind the old Blue Heeler Pub. Food, beer, camp ground and hosts all good and worth a stop.

Kynuna to Lawn Hill National Park via Mt Isa and then the Old Camooweal road with an overnight camp at the start of the Old Camooweal road.

After Lawn Hill (we camped in the Nat. Park) we went to one of the best campsites in the Gulf area, Kingfisher camp.
We took the 4wd track via Lawn Hill Station and Bowthorn Station. Stopped at Bowthorn for tea and scone with Kerry McGuiness the author of two very good books on outback life.

From Kingfisher to Burketown via Doomadgee and an overnight camp at the Escott Lodge. (NOT recommended)

Burketown to Richmond via Gregory Downs, Bourke & Wills Roadhouse and Julia Creek.

Spent some time at a mates cattle property outside Richmond trying to reduce the feral pig problem.

Richmond to Charters Towers and then to a camp on the water at Lake Therasa outside Clermont.

Clermont to a camp at Cania Gorge where we found some other Bushtrackers.!!!

Cania Gorge to the BT factory where we had faulty batteries replaced after they were tested by the battery supplier and found to be below standard. A few minor adjustments by the BT crew and we are away again. Good service as usual.

We then spent some time at various forestry campsites around Gympie, Kenilworth, Kilkivan, Blackbutt etc. I will give details of these sites in the campsites section later. All V good.

From the Kingaroy area we went to a campsite on the Dumaresq River 30k east of Goondiwindi.

From Goondi to a National Park campsite, Lemon Tree Flat, 30k NW of Ashford NSW.

From Ashford to Copeton Waters State Park, 30k SW of Inverell. Good camp but water in dam very low. Well worth a return visit when the drought breaks.

From Copeton Waters to Glenbawn dam and then to Sydney.

Eat your heart out Angie
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 00:04

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 00:04
I don't know about Angie, but there are a few other BT owners that would have liked to have done that trip. We have had a cool change today in Noosa and it is only about 25, but show be up to our usual 30 tomorrow again. Bob you will just have to put a bit more pressure on Judy, and get her to move north for the good weather all year round. Even the cooler day didn't put off the beach beauties getting nearly all off on the beach. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559702

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 00:05

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 00:05
Turist, Welcome back. There is only one word for you teasing Angie like that! . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . . .. . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . Congratulations. Glad it was a safe one and that the BT did its job very well, but where's the b....y pictures??? Angie
AnswerID: 559703

Our Sponsors