free and cheap camping spots

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:49
ThreadID: 120150 Views:2629 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I have uploaded into the files a database list of over 1700 cheap and free camping spots that I have been working on for a few months. They are compiled from various sources and my thanks to those who have allowed me to use their information or have sent data through. The main purpose was to allow Ivan and I to save money when travelling around Australia but realise that others may also benefit from the information.

As they have come from various places I can neither verify their accuracy or suitability (and after all impression is subjective isn't it and it's a bit hard for me to do all the way from London UK)for anyone's specific purpose. Neither can I confirm that when you go there the prices or information will still be the same so where possible I have included a contact number for you to verify the data and suitability for your needs of each of the listings. If anyone finds that the details have changed, please email me and I will make every endeavour to update the information and keep it updated on an occasional basis on this site. If you have any other complaints about what you find when you get to a place, tough! I am just trying to help you out but don't bite the hand that fed you.

If you are unable to open the Excel file, then if you email me I will send it to you but it will still be in Excel format.

Hope it helps you get out and about to enjoy this great land.

Also, don't forget about Marc Glasby's great database too available from the westernbelle link in the links folder.

Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:51

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:51
Angie, It is easy to see that you don't have a TV to watch over there. It must have taken you hours to type all those details. For your information, there is a very good book "Camps Australia Wide II" that probably has most if not all of those camp sites listed and it is updated on the Internet regularly so you can up date your own book. We find that book very good when we are travelling. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559756

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:52

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:52
Hi Brian, Yes it could be that some of those sites might even appear on the database. There is nothing new under the sun. As you said, with no TV it was a good little project and gave me a great geography lesson of Australia looking them all up in our Hema Atlas. And if nothing else, with the all the books available, Marc Glasby's downloaded documents and this one, we shouldn't have to worry too much about the increasing reports of being unable to access caravan parks and being where all the people are. There is also a range of smaller State-based books available on free or cheap camping spots. We have the Tassie one that was sent to me by my sister and fully intend to keep an eye open for the others too when we go interstate. But figure it is best left until going closer to the spots to take advantage of the latest update of anything. I had heard a couple of complaints about the Camps Australia wide book accuracy but it will be like anything, eventually it will need to be continually updated or soon go out of date. Just like this database. I figure if it just saves us a few nights of paying others for a plot of ground to park on, then it has been worth the effort. I didn't check with you to see if you want your campsite details in at Tewantin. I know you have had quite a few people dossing down at your place in recent days, is that another freebie that should go on the list? Angie
AnswerID: 559757

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:53

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:53
I would like to get a copy. Send to myerscough@yahoo.com Thanks Rosco
AnswerID: 559758

Reply By: Bushtracker42 - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:54

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:54
Woops – you do have GPS

My excuse is that it was before 6am
on a public holiday.

PS – We met some people who were looking at
stock routes as a source of spots. We are investigating these and the rules at the
moment.

----------------------

Gary Harding

TriSys Engineering/III

AnswerID: 559759

Reply By: Bushtracker42 - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:55

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:55
We have been using camps aust wide (we still only
have version 1), and it’s good, but we know of more spots. I checked some
of these against your list Angie and well done, some are there.

I don’t know if you realise what you have let
yourself in for, but we will send some others in.

We have not got a GPS yet, but expect that it’s
a worthy addition to the columns.

----------------------

Gary Harding

TriSys Engineering/III

AnswerID: 559760

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:56

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:56
Hi Gary, yes all donations to the cause gratefully received. As I said to someone else it is a project that hopefully will save us and others money, but also keep us out of caravan parks even if it has to be for only 20hours sometimes. The GPS points will come in handy if you have any that will connect with the campsites and I can include them. Angie
AnswerID: 559761

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:57

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:57
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:26:08 -0700, 'bushtracker42'
<ttrisyse@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>PS – We met some people who were looking at
>stock routes as a source of spots. We are investigating these and the rules at the
>moment.

Lets know how you get on.... The QLD map on QLD stock routes is a handy
map
cya
Graham
AnswerID: 559762

Our Sponsors