External LPG Outlet - BBQ

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:41
ThreadID: 120161 Views:3191 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, Has anyone installed or seen an external LPG outlet for a BBQ or gas light etc in the side wall of the van? eg a small hatch with an LPG outlet inside. Our van was manufactured with a three way fridge which was changed to a 12 volt 140L Frostbite some years ago. I keep thinking that the blanked off gas line behind the fridge would be ideal for a BBQ. I was looking through some of the other messages and saw a couple of messages about the door light. I changed our bulb to a 10W QH to give a brighter light with half the wattage. I got mine from the Auto Electrical Supplies in Moss St, Slacks Ck. The bulb has the same base as the original 21 watt unit but with a tiny 10 watt bulb on top. Cost me about $20 as I recall. We don't have enough panels so I chase every watt I can. Can't handle the Photostar flashing and threating to turn off the fridge. Regards, Peter and Leigh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:43

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:43
I think it was Andy and I talking some time ago about a fitting for a bbq or an outside stove in my case and the regulations limit the rubber/plastic part of the line to the appliance to 2 metres .... I believe ??? I did talk to a gas fitter some time ago about "T" ing off the main line with a "dry brake" type fitting ( similar bayonet type fitting used for plugging in lpg heaters). He was to check the regulations using it in a van but never got back to me. Regs might require a manual shutoff valve after "t"ing off main line then a dry brake type coupling as well ?? I was placing this between chassis and outer edge of BT so would need protection from damage. As I prefer to have the stove at the annexe edge not against the van for cooking I didnt pursue it because of the restricted hose length so still carry a 4.5 kg bottle for the stove. I'll take the second 9kg of the BT if that runs out. Would be great to run a line under annexe mat and up to stove though ..... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 559815

Reply By: Motley - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:44

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:44
I did look into this some time ago. I wanted to be able to run my Companion Gas Stove off the caravan gas bottles so that I didn't have to carry an extra bottle. The main problem is that the portable gas stoves run on high pressure LPG - at least mine does. There is no regulator, just a hose from the bottle to the stove. The bayonet type gas fittings are only designed for low pressure gas and I'm told by a gas fitter mate that they will "leak like a sieve" if used with a high pressure gas source. In order to run a hose for the gas stove, it has to come off before the regulator. Getting fittings to manufacture such a connection ( a line with a tap that you can screw the hose from the stove on to) seems almost impossible. Maybe it's because the appropriate authorities deem it better for all concerned if people like me can't go building Heath Robinson type fittings full of high pressure gas. Come to think about it, knowing me, I tend to agree with them!
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559816

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:45

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:45
My Coleman 3 burner is a low pressure stove but even still I agree with Pete, the associated work by a gasfitter, parts required and location really dont outweigh the hassle of carrying an extra bottle for stove. One other advantage is that on a few day trips we have taken the stove and 4.5kg bottle in the vehicle to boil the billy, burn some cow etc. Hard to do this if relying on the BT bottle to supply gas .... Sorry Pete ...I think it was you I was discussing gas "t"ing with ..... 6 months and gallons of Vino Rosso later ...... [smile] Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ... Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 559817

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:46

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:46
Motley_Pete I tend to agree with your thoughts on this subject.. yes
all of them:-)))

cya
Graham
AnswerID: 559818

Reply By: Motley - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:47

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:47
Hello Graham, Welcome to the BOGGER Forum. I have been following you comments (always constructive) and the details of your recent trip to the Top End on the Caravanners Forum for some months. Does your presence on the BOGGER Forum indicate that the Evernew might be due for replacement?? Pete (aka Motley) PS Uncanny ability to recognise from one post that I am NOT the guy to let loose with a bunch of brass fittings and a bottle of high pressure gas!!!
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559819

Reply By: Bushtracker42 - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:48

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:48
Ditto.

We had two 4.5kg from the camping days and these are
for taking when we go where the BT isn’t, and also we bought the fittings
to convert to the caravan i..e backup the two bottles there.

We made a spot just inside the access door where they
can be strapped to the wall so they don’t run amuck.

We like the freedom this gives in locating the BBQ
away from the van for all sorts of things. Cook gets to see the view, keeps the
van cleaner, smoke detector won’t go off …

----------------------

Gary Harding

TriSys Engineering/III

AnswerID: 559820

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:49

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:49
Motley_Pete
No mate, the Evernew will be with us a long long while yet, !!!
have been on the list awhile, never know what handy hints one picks up
by being member of many many forums. a lot of the lists I'm on rarely
get a posting from me, I'm only really active in a couple. Just
couldn't help replying to your post, as like you I'm not the tyrpe of
guy to let loose with a bunch of brass fittings and a bottle of high
pressure gas!!! ( that's why I had the Uncanny ability to recognise
this) :-))))

Hope you got something of value out of the Gulf trip postings. I know
I'm always search the web looking for fellow travellers tales of the
trips into areas that we are intersted in....makes for good preperation
and planning ones own trips...
cya
Graham
AnswerID: 559821

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:50

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:50
Checked this out just before delivery. May yet do it wanted to see how often we would want to cook close to van/under awning/in annex. No probs for getting a T off the main line to the stove then to a wall plate bayonett fitting with plug to keep the garbage out. Only useful for standard low pressure applications obviously as we would be tapping off regulated (low pressure) line. BT's fitter declines to install due to problems with joint leaks in the past(??!!) Can't really see where the problem would be. Spoke to another fitter around the corner who said no probs - had done it lots for motor homes and tourist coaches. Griff
AnswerID: 559822

Our Sponsors