Caravans banned from Bungle Bungles

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:14
ThreadID: 120164 Views:20381 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
While looking at the OZ Explorer site I checked out road conditions and found the following. There was some discussion earlier on taking a caravan into the Bungle Bungles. ROAD/TRACK NAME CURRENT CONDITION Great Northern Highway Sandfire to Broome Open Broome to Derby Open Derby to Fitzroy Crossing Open Fitzroy Crossing to Halls Creek Open Halls Creek to Kununurra turnoff Open Kununurra turnoff to Wyndham Open Spring Creek Delta Track to Bungle Bungles NP Passable by 4WD vehicles. 2WD vehicles will be refused access. Caravans are prohibited from the National Park. Internal roads are currently all dry. Looks like you take a tent and leave the Bushtracker somewhere if you want to visit the Bungle Bungles. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:29

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:29
Collyn, I really have to admire that second paragraph ..... thats one one big bucket of credibility ...... [photomesonicGrin] Regards Anthony
AnswerID: 559825

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:30

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:30
Hello again Collyn I,m sorry if I hit a nerve! Very impressive Curriculum Vitrae. I figure from this reply you don,t have that magical mathematical formula for predicting outcome of Stock Market. Cheers
AnswerID: 559826

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:31

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:31
Thanks! - just a slight nerve. It's just that because every now again I mention Ohm, Maxwell or Newton, every one assumes my approach is mainly academic. The reality is really not that at all!

I'm essentially a 'spanners and meters man' who later along the way acquired the theory - applied both for a couple of decades and then switched to writing - partially because things that dont work are just as good a story (often better!) as things that do.

Re the Stock Market. My wife has a formula she has is close to infallible!

Maarit's formula for sucess - proven over many years

S = opposite of C.

Where S = success
C = any investment made by Collyn
(Maarit Rivers)

Huh! - Collyn

AnswerID: 559827

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:32

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:32
Collyn, Maarit's actions tell me that even experts wives are prepared to go against all laws when balancing the relativity equation between heart and logic. Besides logic is not the beall and endall of an equation. Most women know when it is worth investing our time and effort into some man to make him great and that certainly ain't a logical equation! LOL. Angie
AnswerID: 559828

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:33

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:33
Like I've said before Angie ..... A strong man can stand anything .... Even love (time and effort) !!! [smile] Investing time and effort into some man to make him great ..... MMMmmm....sounds like entrapment ... and as usual we fall for it !!!! [sinceadam&eveGrin] Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 559829

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:34

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:34
I would like to reply to the message about caravans being banned from going into the bungles. We were there in May just passed. We took the 50km dirt track in and 2 hours later we arrived. We had to go through water crossings with the level greater than the height of the wheels on our Pajero 4wd. I would strongly recommend you do not take your vans, even if they are off road ones. Just think of the dust in your vans and the extra wear and tear on your suspension etc. Take your tent and enjoy the trip. Heather and Alan KI
AnswerID: 559830

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:35

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:35
Angie
Behind every successful man stands a totally astonished woman!
Maarit
AnswerID: 559831

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:36

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:36
Hey Maarit, You got that right! Angie
AnswerID: 559832

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:37

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:37
Collyn,
Your comment on shock absorbers (lack of) had me hunting for the pics of Brian's (?) overturned BT, as I thought BTs did not have them. Couldn't find the pics so I may be wrong. Do BTs have shock absorbers or are they somehow made redundant by BT's suspension system?
AnswerID: 559833

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:38

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:38
Kiwi, The springs by their very nature i.e. having 7-9 leaves which causes friction between the leaves thereby giving a self dampening effect to the spring set. The suspension travel of the simplicity is very limited upward (around90mm) so hits the bump stops early by comparison to a 4x4 say ....this makes the bump stop a kind of dampener. Simplicity must deem this friction enough dampening for the suspensions load rating. Collyn might be able to shed more light on my theory ..... ???? If you look closely you will see that they use one spring to control two wheels .... self levelling. I think semi-trailers where shockless until late ..... Collyn ? I would like a set of shocks on my BT but they would have to be adjustable in the dampening (Rancho et al) to keep it at the right dampening to stop more shock being transmitted into the chassis.... Apart from the odd case of maybe travelling too fast for the conditions doing damage to the BT internals, broken leaf when serious off road, I've never heard of any real problems with the BT suspension. People arent even carrying spares while they travel. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 559834

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:39

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:39
Try a set of Koni adjustable shockers to Simplicity suspension and I'm
sure you'll have a much better riding van. In my opinion wide Leaf
springs still need shockers and the $600 odd $$$ would be well spent
and reduce van stress. We have Konis set for soft ride fitted
to our coil sprung van worked a treat even on severe corrugations.
The one spring set up in Simplicity tandem suspension makes it a true
load sharing suspension. 90mm to the bump stop is reasonalbe up
movement most vehicles dont have any more than that when loaded. If
the suspension is hitting the bump stop a lot I'd recommend slowing
down.
cya
Graham
AnswerID: 559835

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:40

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:40
Re Simplicity suspension, BTs, semi trailers etc and the need or otherwise for shock absobers.

One could write a number of books on this. Years back I almost did but turned into a series of articles (in Modern Motor) instead.

Start by considering what happens when a wheel travels over a bump on a vehicle with leaf springs and no shock absorbers.

Wheel is thrust upward as it encounters bump compressing the spring. The kinetic energy of that rapidly rising wheel and part of the axle assembly is now held within that compressed spring (just like a bow that has been pulled taught by an archer).

Once the wheel is over the bump it is now hurled down again by the energy held within that compressed spring (i.e as if the archer has released the arrow).

The downward thrusting wheel impacts the road surface with one hell of a thump. This shock load is transmitted back through the vehicle structure where it does the damage that one reads about on sites like this.

The impact of the wheel onto the road compresses the tyre to the extent that the wheel rebound and thrust the wheel back up. The cycle repeats at a lower level of energy - and if you see a car with coild spring suspension and a broken or crook shock absorber the wheel literally bounces up and down like a demented yo yo.

What's needed therefore is a way of dissipating the energy imparted to the springs. This can readily by done by converting it into heat. That's what a shock absorber does and how it works. It's just a heat pump.

With leaf springs there is some resistance as one leaf slides over another but this occurs mainly on the upward cycle, little on rebound. It is fairly effective on multi-leaf springs, but as the stresses on such springs are huge, they must either be very short or have limited travel.

For a soft ride however, the requirement is for the opposite, supple springs with substantial movement. This can only be achieved by using adequate damping via the somewhat miscalled shock absorbers.

Simplicity suspension is a special case. It has very little spring travel, relying instead of the walking beam action to allow a wheel to rise over a bump, with the imparted intertia partially counteracted by the inertia of the other wheel of the pair.

Whilst this action does reduce the workload on a damper, l am far from convinced that it would not work a great deal better with adequate damping - but off-raod it's a lot better than most that's around.

Most semi-trailer suspension is of a similar walking beam nature - but that on the 6 X 6 ACCO for example has massive shock absorbers as well. The move to air suspension on trucks has made shock absorbers absolutely vital, as of course they are also with coil springs (as they have virtually zero effective damping).

Curiously, and with rare exceptions, caravan builders believe that none of the above applies to them.
Collyn Rivers

AnswerID: 559836

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:41

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:41
'collyn' wrote:

>Re Simplicity suspension, BTs, semi trailers etc and the need or otherwise for shock absobers.
snip
Very well explained Collyn

>Simplicity suspension is a special case. It has very little spring travel,
>relying instead of the walking beam action to allow a wheel to rise over a bump,
>with the imparted intertia partially counteracted by the inertia of the other wheel of the pair.

As Simpicity also make a single axel suspension as well I take it the
above only applies to tandem systems.
cya
Graham
AnswerID: 559837

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:42

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:42
I received the following e-mail today from the National Park Ranger in charge of the Bungle Bungles. Hello Brian, Thank you for your email regarding caravan entry into Purnululu National Park. The road into the Bungles is strictly 4WD only and caravans of any nature are not permitted. I am familiar with the bushtracker make of van however the rule is strictly adhered to. You can leave your van at the Turkey Creek roadhouse which has a suitable lockup. Regards Lindsay Brown Senior Ranger PNP.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559838

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:43

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:43
Graham

Yes - only to dual axle systems.
Collyn
AnswerID: 559839

Our Sponsors