Towing Mirrors

Submitted: Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:31
ThreadID: 120174 Views:3040 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
With the plethora of towing mirrors available to the caravanning public, the question arises...WHICH ones to get?? Any advice/ideas out there from all you experienced ones?? We will be towing with a 100 series LC. We don't want to end up with some useless mirrors which vibrate so badly that we can't see the road behind...as is the case with some of the mirrors we have heard about!! Thanks in advance, Jan & Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:33

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:33
I have used Aussie Truck Mirrors for some time now. I find them easy to install and adjust and practically vibration free even on dirt roads. I would pick them again from the current crop if I was buying now.

I suggest a small square of rubber between the door and the buckle, just to eliminate any risk of rubbing.

Also, it's important to adjust so the platform is level. That way, there is minimum contact between top bracket and the window glass as the window is going up and down (like fingernails down a blackboard if it's not adjusted!)
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559882

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:34

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:34
This message was posted on the Caravaners Forum, and by the section "Any questions, ring M-F 8-5 EST 1800 482 1087 and ask for Steven" it looks like an Australian phone number, so they may be available in Australia. The mirrors pictured siut the F250 range, but they may well be able to supply similar mirrors for the Toyotas and Nissans. There are so many of these vehicles around towing trailers and caravans that it would certainly be worth their while to make some. Brian. Brian, Schefenacker apparently make their mirrors at Lonsdale South of Adelaide. That is probably where they make the ford ones which would look different. They have more of a truck shape mirror that has vertical glass and large rounded arms dont they. EE
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559883

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:35

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:35
Hi Jan & Ian,
I chose the ORA mirrors and included a magnetic
support arm on the drivers side. While not 100% happy with the set up, they are
still pretty good. I have an adversion to using mirrors that clip in behind the
rubber on the side windows, I feel that they will let water into the inside of
the door as they distort the rubber, maybe I'm wrong, just personal
preferance.