Rear Vision Cameras

Submitted: Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:19
ThreadID: 120175 Views:2873 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I recently had Sound In Motion fit rear vision cameras to both our van and the rear of our F250 along with an overhead consule so that a fold down type screen could be used in front of the rear vision mirror. I have a switch on the dash to switch between cameras. I must say that I am impressed with the extra visibility, especially when on a divided road or when overtaking as you can see the entire front of the car being overtaken when you are between 1 and 2 metres in front of them and you know that you can safely change lanes. It is so much easier than trying to judge the distance with the mirrors. The only problem with the camera view is that it is such a wide angle that vehicles behind appear further away than they actually are, and you get a much clearer picture of vehicles any distance behind you, using the external mirrors. I believe that these cameras should only be used as an additional aide and that they should not be relied on to take the place of good external rear vision mirrors. The convex nature of the camera lens gives a false impression of distance, and unless things have changed the law always used to say that on the drivers side the rear vision mirror had to been a plain surface, not convex for the same reason. In the tail gate of the F250 Sound In Motion fitted a key hole camera beside the latch and this gives good visibility behind the vehicle. When I want to back up to the caravan I have put a piece of chain on one side of the tail gate to lower the tail gate to the correct angle so that the rear of the tow coupling is just visible. This now allows me to back exactly up to the caravan coupling, and makes connecting up a breeze. For those people who are prone to having heated moments with your partner when they are directing you back to either hook up the van or into a parking bay, the fitment of 2 cameras may keep your marriage in tact. Sound In Motion have had a problem with the key hole cameras that their supplier has sent as when the camera had been turned on for about 10 to 15 minutes, the heat generated by the camera operating has caused condensation to form in the sealed lens area and hence the picture on the screen is blurred. I had mine replaced last Friday and the replacement is just as bad so now we are waiting for their supplier to obtain a new batch so that a 3rd camera can be fitted. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:21

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:21
I'm working on a camera to hitch up as well. I'm planning a trip or two by myself (if I can get a pass out from the boss) and a hitch camera would get me very close to using jockey for the final alignment if not completely home ready for the pin. I'm making a little pole that sits into the HR hitch and the camera just plugs into where the rear camera does now ...... when hitched just take camera off and plug in camera from BT. For those with a retrofit camera it saves running two coaxes up to the input splitter and saves mounting a camera permanently on the vehicle. A small black and white camera can be had for around $100 mount it on a small piece of RHS and 50cm of coax and a plug ...... Voila !!! A removable hitchcam. Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 559885

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:22

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:22
Brian, can you give me a rough idea of the cost of the rear vision camera as fitted, and have they solved the problem of the foggy lens yet? Angie
AnswerID: 559886

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:23

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:23
The cameras are $500 each, the screen $600 and installation about $200. Sound In Motion are waiting for the importer to get a new batch of cameras in that haven't got moisture in so we are still waiting for a new one to be fitted. Brian

AnswerID: 559887

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:24

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:24
Thanks Brian, did they charge you extra for the console? Need to put it in the budget for next year. Would you let me know if they fix the problem of the fogging to your satisfaction please? Angie
AnswerID: 559888

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:25

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 23:25
The Consul for the F250 was another $260. The camera on the back of van does like rain, all the spray gets on the lens and reduces vision too much to be of any value to you. With the rear view mirrors you get a much better view in wet conditions. We spent the week end at Conrads place and he backed the F250 up to our van using the camera and positioned the tow coupling exactly in line with the coupling hole so all I had to do is put the pin in. They are magic for backing with. Brian

AnswerID: 559889

Our Sponsors