Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:04
ThreadID: 120177 Views:3046 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi fellow Bushtrackers, My name is Sheryl. I am about looking forward to picking up my 16' van in mid December and then embarking on a life changing move of living and working around Australia in my Bushtracker. Some of you may have recently met my parents, Beryl & Des Steele, on your voyages in Queensland, when they picked your brains and looked into your vans then passed on your recommendations to me. I look forward to meeting you personally either through this group or on the road. In particular they mentioned Alan & wife from Altona, couple from Darwin whom they met at Toowoomba Park and Conrad at the Adventure Park at Airlie Beach, if you are members would love to chat. Bushtracker have recommended either a Tekonsha or Kelsey electronic brake controller, does anyone have comments on either brand or model? From a future Bushtracker to all those lucky enough to already own. SassySam10
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:06

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:06
Hello Sheryl, welcome to our group and congrats on your choice of house on wheels. BOGers had the inaugural rally at Cania Gorge near Monto in Sept with 25 vans all lined up. We all had a great time meeting other BOGers from this forum. Did nothing for the waist line but who cares. Maybe you can make the 2004 rally. The venue will be chosen around March so everyone will get plenty of time to plan ahead. Regarding an electric brake controller the flavour of the month is the Tekonsha PRODIGY. I have a Tekonsha Voyager and will upgrade to a Prodigy later when I get a new vehicle. The RRP is around $350 but I purchased one in BNE the other day for $266 so look around. Let me know if you need help there. I am fitting it to a Ford Explorer belonging to a BIL. When I was looking at prices I made inquiries at importing a couple from the US but found out ADRs require the brake lights to be activated with manual brake application and US version does not do this so there you go . This information came from the Tekonsha people. Cheers from Ernie and Kay.
AnswerID: 559893

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:07

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:07
Welcome to the Group Sheryl, I am sure you will enjoy you Bushtracker like the rest of us do. We have a Techonsha Prodigy brake controller and anyone who has used the Voyager and other lesser models, will tell you that the Prodigy is far superior to the other models. You will have to tell Bushtracker that you have a Prodigy so that when they are wiring up the caravan emergency brake, that they don't put a diode in the line that prevents Prodigy working. They will know what you mean as soon as you tell them that you have a Prodigy. Conrad was at Cania Gorge and gets his new van early next year. If you go down the topic list to Members Profile there is details in there about our Bushtracker owners and those who have placed their Bushtracker order list of names etc. If you would like to be on that list and have a list of other owners please forward the details. I think that if Bushtracker start promoting our group, the same as Trakmaster have just set up an owners group, that Bushtracker will have to again move to larger premises, they will have so many happy Bushtracker owners promoting their product that they can't help but get more business. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559894

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:08

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:08
From: Sassy-Sam10 Thankyou for the info Ernie & Kay (NomadsUsR). I have been contacting a few suppliers down here in "sunny" Melbourne but having trouble locating anything but a Voyager or Sentinel Tekonsha. I have received some rather high quotes for supplying a Prodigy but have been unable, so far, to find anyone with one in stock. Any further information on suppliers or reasonable prices will be gratefully received. Paul has given me an earlier delivery date so I will now need to fit the controller no later than 15th November. Would the Voyager or Sentinel be a suitable alternative if I can't get the Prodigy. Look forward to further input. Sheryl
AnswerID: 559895

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:09

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:09
Sheryl, If you take a drive over to Hastings, as you enter the town along Marine Parade and just before the turnoff to BHP steelworks, there is a caravan sales and repair place on the left side of the road. That is where I bought mine from about March Last year for $325 and then Ford fitted it to our new vehicle before we picked it up. I think the Hastings dealer could probably fit it for you, or otherwise get an auto electrician. Brian

AnswerID: 559896

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:10

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:10
Sheryl, If you are in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, you could try ADP Caravan Services. The owner, Andrew Phillips, is a bit of a "guru"on caravan repairs and maintenance. I was there about a month ago to get some spares and he had Tekonsha Prodigys in stock then. He fitted mine for me some time ago. They are in Canterbury Road Kilsyth. Telephone number is (03) 9761 6383. By the way, the Prodigy is worth every cent in my opinion. Good luck Pete
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 559897

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:11

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:11
sassysam10 Thank you to all those who have given me some follow up contacts for a brake controller. First thing tomorrow I will be on the phone to see if they are able to help. I haven't had much luck with those companies I have contacted in Melbourne. Most of them seem ignorant of anything but the basic Tekonsha products. Happy hunting for me tomorrow. I am thinking positive and will let you know of my success. Thanks heaps, Sheryl
AnswerID: 559898

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:12

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:12
Sheryl The Caravan company that I mentioned in Hastings, I think goes by the name of Supa Centre. Brian

AnswerID: 559899

Our Sponsors