Picking up the BT

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:24
ThreadID: 120184 Views:2709 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, There are quite a few who have had the joy of picking up a new BT whilst I have been a member of the forum and of course the old stalwarts who have had their BT's for some time now. I would be interested in knowing what items everyone thinks you should have with you WHEN PICKING UP THE BT. Not when you get it home necessarily (because it will be our home from Day 1), but on the pickup day. We will be going to a nearby park to unwrap our new pressie to ourselves and want to be operational fairly quickly. Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:26

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:26
Here are a few things that I think people should have when they come to Bushtracker to pick up their new van, especially those coming from interstate or a long way from their home. Perhaps Angie could go through all the suggested items and put a list in the documents section of similar for future reference. Hose suitable for drinking water that is capable of being used to both fill the water tanks and connect to the mains pressure inlet if fitted. Those who are having a mains pressure inlet should ascertain from BT what thread is on their fitting and buy the appropriate adaptor first. To fill tanks, you require a hose without fittings to go into filler. Turist made up a clear plastic tube with garden ball valve in it that has push on fitting on one end to join into hose. The end going into tank can be cut on angle so that hose will fit around bend easier, and ball value can adjust flow as the tanks fill. I made one up soon after seeing what Bob had. It works great. Sullage hose. Check with Bushtracker if supplied, they may be now but weren't when we bought ours. Toilet chemicals, there is one dose of Pink top tank and one green bottom tank supplied. The top tank will last a long time, but the bottom holding tank will have to be emptied after 3 or 4 days depending on use, so a new 5 litre container would be handy to have with you. 15 Amp electrical lead, (must have 15 amp plugs on both ends, not a 10 amp male plug to go into domestic power points.) 2 or 3 step ladder, to be able to reach awning clips and winder. Some blocks of timber, to level van and or put under support legs if fitted. Cutlery set. What ever the cook thinks she needs. Crockery. We use Corelle by Corning plates, they resist brakage and travel well. Glasses. We use plastic, both tumbler and wine glasses. Bottle opener. You will need one to open wine to celebrate picking up your new van. Basic set of pots and pans, including kettle. Bread or other cutting board. Don't want to scratch the new bench tops. Plastic containers, for storage in fridge and cupboards. Matches or gas lighter for stove. Linen and pillows for both bed, showering and dishes. Dish washing detergent as well as wash up and cleaning equipment. Dust pan and broom. Mats, for both outside van and inside use. If awning fitted, have at least 2 but better with 4 ropes fitted with quick release catch on one end (dog clip) to secure awning, and not just rely on the tightness of pole clips to keep awning from lifting in a strong wind. Pegs are supplied. Hammer, to belt awning pegs in. Spirit Level. One about 30 cm long is a good size for checking levels of van when setting up. Camping Chairs, to sit outside and watch everyone else admiring your new van. Fold up camping table, handy but not necessary to have on pick up. Food and Clothing. When you get home you will find that large plastic tub containers are very handy to store things in, inside the hatches. While at Bushtracker or as soon as you reach a nearby caravan park, fill toilet flush and water tanks so that you are set up ready for use. It is just as well you are using a large 4WD to tow the caravan, when you look at all the things you need to take with you for the first night. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559933

Reply By: F Troop - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:27

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:27
Hey Angie, Don't forget the F250 - an essential item Seriously though, apart from the obligatory carton of cigarettes to enable a steady flow of chain smoking, I did take a packed lunch on the day and a magazine - it is a verrrrry long day. Whilst Graham chain smoked, I ate, and when it got to the boring boy's bits, I went off and pretended to read the magazine. Mind you, I never got through more than a paragraph at a time, before being called to look admiringly at something else on Baby. And of course, some celebratory sparkling grape juice and nibblies for the first evening . I don't know where you intend to spend your first few days, but if it's Forest Glen C'van park, I would ask for a spot down the back, behind the cabins and on the grass. Their powered sites look very tight. Jan
AnswerID: 559934

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:28

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:28
Thanks Brian and Jan for the suggestions. I have duly noted them down. Will be happy to put them into a list in the documents section. Will close this one off at the end of November, but make it a list that can be added to. Might actually send others an email so I don't miss out on valuable information. Angie
AnswerID: 559935

Our Sponsors