Air Con use for Gibb River Road

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:13
ThreadID: 120192 Views:2611 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all Although I don't own a Bushtracker ,(I currently have a Kedron on order - shame on me I know) I have found this a very informative site as quite a few of you take your vans offroad & have associated good tips etc. My question to those who have traveled the Kimberly is whether an Air con unit is required for comfortable sleeping at night (Mid May to end of August). The reason for the question is to try & work out whether a 2KVA Honda genny is required or not & the other part is that whether it would be socially acceptable as I guess that most of the overnight stopovers would be in campgrounds etc with other campers? Thanks in advance. Cheers Darryl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:15

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:15
Collyn will probably be the best person to answer this as he lives in Broome, but what we use mostly when in hot areas is a box type 240v fan that the front turns so as to give a good movement of air. It only draws 5 - 6amps so it can be run for long periods via the inverter. We have friends on the Sunshine Coast who pick up their new Kedron on 14/11/03, so they are getting a little excited. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559955

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:16

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:16
Hi Darryl, We travelled across the Kimberly end of July and August and just used a fan with a 12 volt inverter which adequately does the job if needed, but we found the weather very pleasant. If you bush camp no one minds a generator, but most people turn them off at about 10 or 11 pm. We saw many Kedrons on our trip and everyone was VERY pleased with their vans. Happy travelling. Margaret.
AnswerID: 559956

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:17

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:17
Thanks for you're feedback. It's also comforting to know that there are happy Kedron owners out there. Cheers Darryl
AnswerID: 559957

Reply By: Meg and J - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:18

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:18
Hi Darryl We travelled across the Gibb River Road late June and did not need the airconditioner at all. In fact we have hardly used it and we have just been into the Pilbara. When bush camping or in Rest Areas we tend to open the windows right up and there always seems to be a breeze at night. Even in caravan parks we have really not needed it and we are now travelling down the west coast. When we were in Karijini NP we used the fan with the inverter and found that was fine. The temp was probably about 43 C. We don't have a generator and still don't know whether we will need one or not. Some people say the 2KVA generators are fine with aircon and others say they are not powerful enough. No doubt others on this website will have that knowledge. Happy travelling . Meg and J
AnswerID: 559958

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:19

Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003 at 22:19
We did the GRR during the months mentioned and did not require the A/C, however we did need some heat sometimes at night, specially up in the hills.
Regarding the Honda 2 kva, no problems, this unit will run the air and the battery charger together and hardly stutters.
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559959

Our Sponsors