Potential Owners

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:39
ThreadID: 120198 Views:9025 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, we are contemplating buying a bushtracker caravan in about two years when we retire. I guess there are two things we would like to know most. The first one is, just how off-road can you go with them and to what extent does it depend on your tow vehicle? The second is, is there much of a second-hand market for bushtrackers? We are not against buying a new one but if we can keep the intial outlay down then we will. Our current outfit is a 1989 LWB Maverick (Nissan) 4.2 Diesel with a roof-top tent. We just love the ability to go just about anywhere with it but we don't see it being suitable for very long-term trekking. Our current plan is to hit the track for about five years so living in a roof-top tent for an extended period like that is not going to work. We want the best of both worlds but we realize that we will have to compromise in some way. Looking forward to hearing from people like you have already given it a go. Regards Brian & Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:41

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:41
Brian & Chris We still have to do the big tour ... but when we go away the flexability to stay in national parks and state forests is fantastic. We have been to Flinders and stayed on properties , travelled river beds to get to a quiet camping spot. When we stay at caravan parks some of the best spots in them are the non-powered sites which we go to. You would have read all the other info from this group re cars so I will leave that to the experts... but with the B/T we have stayed in some very beautiful places. And have people marvel when they come round a corner in some state forest and see us set up... especially in Coolah Tops. Lorraine
AnswerID: 559982

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:42

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:42
Brian & Chris, I agree with Lorraine, that you can take the Bushtracker into some great places. They can be towed anywhere that your tow vehicle is physically able to tow a trailer of the size and weight of the Bushtracker. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 559983

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:43

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:43
Lorraine Thanks for the hints; exactly the sort of thing we were hoping to hear; we'd better buy a lotto ticket to help bring the date forward a bit!
AnswerID: 559984

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:44

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:44
Brian I guess you have told me what I had already half guessed; which is that there will be lots of places we can get into but also quite a few it would be prudent not to attempt. Thanks.
AnswerID: 559985

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:45

Saturday, Nov 01, 2003 at 20:45
Brian the problem is, we have the B/T but still have a daughter who lives at home and is doing HSC here in NSW(next year), so we can't disappear just yet ... much to my husband's frustration... when his scouting mates return from some trip to where ever I can see the leash gradually breaking... but we have roughly another 18months here in Sydney, to go and then we are off. It was the best decicsion we ever made buying the B/T.. and when we see the van we were originally going to buy, boy are we glad we didn't, we would never have stayed in the places we have stayed in.... we just would not have been able to get there. Lorraine
AnswerID: 559986

Our Sponsors