AV equipment

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:07
ThreadID: 120201 Views:2758 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am starting a new discussion focusing on AV equipment. After intensive discussions with Sound in Motion guys regarding LCD screens with teletext capabilities and a DVD player, they came up with 2 quotes. A Sharp 15 inch screen with teletext, swingarm, DVD player, wiring, installation and antennae for $3787 and a 20 inch Sharp LCD screen with telextext with the above inclusions for $5107. This is quite a few hard earned dollars. I have a laptop with a 15.4 inch widescreen screen with DVD R/RW drive. Thought if I could get a PCMCIA TV tuner card with teletext capabilities for $200 and construct a swingarm stand for the laptop then I would be saving myself a few thousand dollars. What about purchasing a 12/240V TV with teletext for $800-$900 as shown by Camec (caravan products/accessories) and hooking the laptop with DVD drive to watch DVDs?? Comments please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:09

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:09
I would go with the laptop I reckon - if nothing else, you can pack it securely and protect it from road vibration. I would be worried spending that much on an AV system if you are doing any rough stuff. I would see if you can get a hi-grade radio/CD installed in the van which you can plug the laptop phones-out so you can get high quality sound. If you connect the laptop to a mobile, you have also covered communications as well for email and internet. Phil
AnswerID: 559989

Reply By: Cracker - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:10

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:10
I have just ordered a 20' BT and am having the same thoughts, I have only recently purchased a 16" screen laptop with TV tuner, burner, DVD, etc etc. I am leaning the same way - laptop hooked into a LCD monitor ( computer type ) Cracker
AnswerID: 559990

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:11

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:11
Hi there, I would agree with the others. The reality is you won't know how much you will be watching the screen anyway, so maybe if needed the heavier outlay should come after you have done the time. Having said that, our van will be our permanent home and we are going for a monitor, dvd player and etc similar to Motley's. We opted to not go with the swing arm as I wanted the ability to move the monitor out to the annexe if I wanted. The rest of the equipment will stay indoors in cupboards but the monitor will come out on a lead from the cargo hold. Hope this helps. Angie
AnswerID: 559991

Reply By: Luvntravln - Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:12

Wednesday, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:12
Hi Having spent many years on a boat crashing and thrashing around at sea, I will be opting for a desktop! Interestingly, many of the cruisers are going away from the desktops and having computers constructed with the "extras" they desire.While I haven't started a specific investigation in Melbourne, there are many companies that construct sturdy desktops. Regarding a screen, because space is so criticial, flat screens are the choice on a detachable swing arm so that it can be used for viewing TV, or moved to act as a computer screen. To use in the annex, simply wire connection ports inside and outside. Most of us used a TV card, had all of the various burners, and relied upon a highend auto stereo. We have taken the next step of purchasing an iPod from Apple and converted all of our cds to MP3 and ACC format. My little iPod has a 40GB hard drive and holds 10,000 songs; each album in its own playlist. The iPod has a lineout and plugs into the stereo line in and viola! all the music you could possible want without storing cds. To minimize wires opt for the wireless mice and keyboards from either MS or Logitech. I have used the Logitech equipment for years and they work great. Regards, Jay
AnswerID: 559992

Our Sponsors