Internet: How is everyone connecting?

Submitted: Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:22
ThreadID: 120210 Views:2856 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Are you using the CDMA phones connected to your computer or ?? Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:24

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:24
Jay, I'm attempting to use my CDMA with my laptop but am having problems getting it to work properly . I know that several members do this succesfully. Paul.
AnswerID: 560028

Reply By: Andy1 - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:25

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:25
Jay We use our CDMA (Kyocera 3035) connected to the laptop with Telstra Big Pond as the ISP - works OK but as slow as a wet weekend. I once read somewhere that CDMA technology had high speed capability but we operate at 9,600bps. With Internet banking, which is more & more part of our lives, it really is necessary to use your own laptop so if any one knows a way to speed the system up please post the answer. Andy
AnswerID: 560029

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:26

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:26
We use our laptop and Qualcom CDMA phone while travelling and it works pretty good. While at Conrads at the weekend, he is using a normal digital and Bluetooth infared technology to join phone to laptop and I noticed that his speed was 115kbps, which is a lot faster than my dial up on home computer. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560030

Reply By: Meg and J - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:27

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:27
Hi Jay
We have been using our Kyocera Mobile CDMA with our laptop and although it says the connection is 112 or whatever it is very slow if there are any graphics or photos. I wouldn't even attempt to bank with it as it will cost a fortune. We have asked all friends and family to send graphics or photos to a hotmail address and only text emails to our optus address. This is working really well. When we are in a town we just go to a telecentre and use our own laptop to download or we use a computer in an internet cafe if we cannot connect our laptop. We do all of our business including the banking this way and then go into our hotmail address and of course the BOG site only when we can access a landline. Downloading the text emails is very quick and only takes about a minute or two to download quite a few. We have been on the road for about eight months and this is working well. I would love to have access more often but cost is out of the question. Good luck Meg and J The other reason I go into cafes is to keep up my Nortons Anti-virus which is a must.
AnswerID: 560031

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:28

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:28
Hi everyone, we have been travelling for the past 5 mths throughout Qld in our Phoenix (I know,dirty word) and have been reading a few posts but have not been contributing.We are in one place at the moment and have access to a land line. On the road we have been using ouu Kyocera CDMA with Telstra and Big Pond(enough said about Big "pong") and use a Telstra plan that is called My Hour which give us 1 hr of free time in blocks of 20 mins to any phone mobile or land line.It works well. Has anyone looked into 2 way satellite broadband through their existing satellite dish.I knowyou would have to realign your dish each time but no big deal from what I have seen.All the kids who use Distance education (school of the air) use this system. By the way Meg & J what is a telecentre,we have tried using our laptop at internet cafes with no luck,some caravan parks let you plug in but not many. By the way this is an excellent forum and it is great to have full access to it again. Greg G
AnswerID: 560032

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:29

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:29
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:01:01 -0800, 'greg g' <godden@ircnet.com.au>
wrote:

>Has anyone looked into 2 way satellite broadband through their existing satellite dish.

I've not looked into this for internet connection, I would have thought
it would be on the expensive side??
cya
Graham
AnswerID: 560033

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:30

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:30
Hi again, at bigpond website www etc look under 2-way Satellite plan.. $120 /mth 300 mb download at 64 kbps $145/mth """"""""""""""""""""""" at upto 256kbps Plus hardware charge of $699 incl dish etc on 18mthe contract.. Not cheap,$3 per day but would make Sattelite TV installation a lot cheaper and vice versa.Would like to hear from anyone with such a system. Regards Greg G
AnswerID: 560034

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:31

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:31
This would be no problem provided you had a decoder
box and software for the PC/laptop. You would still point the dish at the C1
satellite just as you do so for pay tv.
I enquired at Telstra some time
ago and was told that they would only
install broadband via satellite to a fixed address. It's not difficult to allow
some lateral thinking to prevail.
David
AnswerID: 560035

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:32

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:32
Satellite tv is relatively cheap, you can purchase
all the hardware for < $1000. No licenses required.
David

AnswerID: 560036

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:33

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:33
We met some people who just bought the equipment (dish etc and the salesman told them how to set it up) and then took the decoda from home, when they were travelling, with their small plastic card in it and just set up with the Dish etc and watched all their favorite programs ... they did have satellite at home.... so just used their exsisting account no extra cost other than the extra out lay for another dish .He said it was very easy. Lorraine
AnswerID: 560037

Reply By: Meg and J - Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:34

Monday, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:34
Hi Greg Telecentres are in the smaller towns of WA. We first found them in the Kimberly at Kununurra, Broome, Derby, Marble Bar etc. They all allow you to connect to a landline. Some are dearer than others. At the moment we are in Carnarvon and we are at an internet cafe and have been able to connect our own laptop so I suppose you just have to ask at everywhere you go. I think that it is certainly going to be called for more and more as us 'babyboomers' all have our own equipment! Happy travelling Meg and J
AnswerID: 560038

Our Sponsors