To snorkel or not to snorkel; that is the question

Submitted: Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:05
ThreadID: 120227 Views:2801 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi BOG Techies! Bob Lemon sent me the following: "No snorkel as I can't find one that the
supplier will guarantee will not restrict the air flow... Ford have an option
now as a standard option, but as they had trouble with the earlier model and
snorkels, no one seems to be prepared to guarantee that there will be no
restricted air flow when you really put the weights on them (many make
statements without being prepared to back them up in writing, and because of
the problems with previous model and snorkels I decided to carry a spare air
filter and clean it more regularly." Yea or nay when it come to a snorkel? Thanks, Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:07

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:07
G'day Jay, The F250 does have a reasonable cold air induction system although it can be prewarmed a little by the LHS battery. Even though I dont "creek cross" in mine I like the snorkels grabbing the cleaner/colder air and diesels last much longer on clean air. Having said that 7.3 litres swept volume running at 3000 rpm sure sucks some air ! When I've fitted snorkels to my vehicles (F250 not fitted yet ... waiting to test) I 've always checked them with a vacuum gauge to check that the airflow is not restricted. I place a vacuum gauge between the filter and the turbo and go for a drive and record readings. Then fit snorkel and redo test on same road and make sure vacuum reading have not increased. Temperature and humidity difference between tests play a part but can be reasonably excluded for this simple test. A mate has just fitted a snorkel to his F250 and we assume it is ok as it uses two 90mm holes in the guard to get enough flow. If I can get a vacuum gauge on it soon I'll know if it is ok and is the one I'll use. He has not felt any power loss and this is the F250/BT that went on the Double Island beach a couple of weeks ago. I remember the debacle of the Landrover Discovery when they first came out and a certain well known snorkel maker fitted about 30 of them before discovering (no pun intended) that the engines lost 1500 rpm because of restriction. 30 new mudguards had to be painted and fitted to these cars (because of the holes in the guard) while they went back to the drawing board. Caveat Emptor ......I suppose. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560116

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:08

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:08
We have the Ford snorkel fitted to ours, it is much larger (and dearer) than those fitted to Toyotas etc, and have not noticed any difference in power when towing or not towing. Only did 400ks with van on so our next big trip to Victoria will tell if there is any change in fuel consumption figures. After travelling on the dusty roads of the Birdsville Track and Flinders Ranges, our air cleaner was putrid without a snorkel. It will be interesting to see how much cleaner it is next time with the snorkel. Ford warned us that it may cause a noise on passenger side when air is being gulped in, but Margaret says she can't hear anything. I fitted the Ford snorkel so as to make sure warranty is kept in tact. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560117

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:09

Friday, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:09
You guys are great! I will snorkel with the Ford version so as to have the warranty too! Thanks, Jay
AnswerID: 560118

Our Sponsors