Inner spring mattresses

Submitted: Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:59
ThreadID: 120238 Views:3287 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Its late and Jackie has yelled into our office: "don't forget to ask about inner spring mattresses"! OK, she has decided that since the Hedonistic Land Yacht is going to be our permanent home, she cannot have pleasure for pleasure's sake on a foam mattress! Whatever it takes to keep her on the road full time! Recommendations please - REGARDING INNER SPRING MATTRESSES! Thanks, tgintl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:06

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:06
I had a custom innerspring made up after we both had pins and needles in various body limbs ....the boss was waking during the night ...so out with the foam and in with an innerspring. We had it made by a mattress manufacturer here in a bayside suburb in Bris. Tried plenty at the show room, discussed firmness, cut corners to fit Island bed in BT18 etc. Cost was around $700. Sleep has never been better but it did present a few problems. Because the mattress was 8 " thick it is on the heavy side. The frame the of the underbed storage lid actually started to sag because the strut attachment point was 1/3 rd the way back from the hinge ...leaving 2/3 of the frame length to handle the weight when in the up position. I changed the strut attachment point to 2/3 rds the way back from the hinge point and solved the sag problem in its tracks. This did reduce the overall height that the lid sits at when up but access is still reasonable. The supplied struts from BTi now didnt lift the lid because of the weight. I was going to increase the pressure of the struts to handle the extra weight but this would have had them on their pressure limit. I purchased much stronger struts and had them pressurised to handle the extra weight and both problems have been solved. Innerspring has now been in for over a year with no probs to date ..... no going back to foam for us as we are sleeping much better. Cant blame BTi for not fitting heavy innersprings as the frame of the lid would have to be strengthened by bracing or larger spec SHS ..... the struts would need to be larger and pressurised to suit individual mattresses .... bit out of their paradigm really ! Because we pay a weight penalty for the comfort and some probs to overcome to fit one I'd say try the foam first ..... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ... Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560192

Reply By: TripnTaps - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:07

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:07
Two Factory direct Mattress makers at Lavington suburb of Albury:- Makin Mattresses 02 6040 1193 and Mattress Masters 02 6040 2730 or fax 02 6025 9204 Cheers, Helen
AnswerID: 560193

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:08

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:08
Hi, we got our mattress at a place called 'The Mattress Factory" they are in Rocklea, Queensland. They cut and make all their mattress so we had ours made just slightly smaller than our island bed to allow for hand room at the top end, it is very comfortable as it is 8inches thick. Kerrie
AnswerID: 560194

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:09

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:09
Brian, trying the foam isn't in the cards. I lived on foam for many years before going to an inner spring mattress. Had it custom made in NZ and it was only 6" thick - used 4" springs and slept like a baby for years. Anthony, weight penalty vs pins and needles in various body limbs. Is there really a choice when you also say sleep has never been better! What brand of stronger struts did you go to? I just learned that a friend of our has a queen bed in a Regent pop top and they have a queen inner spring and Jackie can lift it easily with one had. Just two gas struts properly placed. I do not except that it is outside the BTi paradigm. If that is what we want and we are willing to pay for it then they should investigate and provide the alternative. I spoke with a mat mfg down here and they are looking for the 4" springs. Said no problem making two 2 1/2' x 6'8" pieces. To reduce some of the weight you only pad one side (yes, you can't turn it over - wasn't a problem on Skywave). Will keep those interesed informed. Kerri, what is the size and weight, and what was the cost - if you don't mind my asking? Did you modify the base or struts? How hard is it to lift the base? Cheers, tgintl
AnswerID: 560195

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:10

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:10
Having a look at the new hi-spec foam (NASA originated) mattresses now starting to come onto the Australian market. Could be nice compromise. Always worry about foams though, ever since ruining a nice big 1mx2m chunk of bedroom carpet when sleeping on the floor on a foam mattress for a few months after returning from Japan. I had got used to futons and tatami, but apparently not sufficient airing! Imagine my delight when I lifted the foam one day and this big rotted piece af carpet came with it. Was I popular. Griff
AnswerID: 560196

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:11

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:11
Jay, You will find that BTI will supply you with a foam, but if you want an innerspring, then they will deduct the cost of their foam, and you will be required to supply your own innerspring. What Steve will require is the size that you want them to make the bed frame to fit your innerspring. Steve will allow you to put any type of mattress in that you want, it is just that they WILL NOT SUPPLY an innerspring. I can understand their reluctance to supply innersprings, there are just too many types and qualities, and if you supply it and are not happy with it, then it is your responsibility, not BTI. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560197

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:12

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:12
Brain - agree that Steve should stay out of the mattress business; however, if he knows that someone is going to use an inner spring which is heavier, he should have an option for stronger struts. Jay
AnswerID: 560198

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:13

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:13
Jay, We only picked up our 19'BT a few months ago and the bed struts BTI supplied are very strong as we had said we intended to switch to an inerspring at a later date so maybe this is a new improved change. They do seem to be improving things all the time. Lynne & Terry
AnswerID: 560199

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:14

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:14
Hi Jay, I will ring the manufacturer tomorrow to find out how heavy the latex mattress is. It does make lifting the bed up a little hard but can be done and haven't had to modify anything yet. It cost approx. 1600.00. Kerrie
AnswerID: 560200

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:15

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:15
Hi Jay, Sorry this was so long coming, I couldn't access the site this morning. I rang the makers of our latex mattress and they told me that it is around the 45-50 kilos. Kerrie
AnswerID: 560201

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:16

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:16
Kerrie - do you mean 4 - 5 kilos? 40 - 50 is super heavy! Jay
AnswerID: 560202

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:17

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:17
Hi Jay, no I mean forty-five - fifty kilos. Kerrie
AnswerID: 560203

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:18

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:18
We have found our foam mattress very comfortable although I have noticed Geoff's side has an impression of his body - sunk in and he is a very light person. We sleep on a latex at home & can highly recommend them. Would not have anything else. However they are very heavy and weight is always a consideration in a van. If you are towing with a powerful vehicle and not intending to go into any seriously hairy places, since it will be your home it might be worth going for something better than foam. Good luck!
AnswerID: 560204

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:19

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:19
Clark Rubber Stores offer a "Superior" foam mattress.
It is 150mm thick and of higher density than the original BT supplied mattress.
The covers are stitched thinly padded materiel unlike the simple fabric cover on the BT model.
Cost was around $375.00, about $200.00 dearer than the original.
We replaced our original in BT #1 with this model and were pleased with the performance so optioned up the BT #2 to this mattress.
If fitted with a lambswool cover of good quality then not too hot on hot nights.
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560205

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:20

Monday, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:20
Hi Found the old thread and time for an update. After much investigation we found: Beds For You, 14 Collins Place, Kilsyth VIC 3137 ph 03 9723 8677/fx 03 9725 0818. The are making a full size queen firm chiro back support mattress for $450.00. This company makes the mattress for the various caravans at Bayswater Jayco and several other manufacturers in Victoria. Not too heavy either! We were going to keep our current mattress which is heavy after we lifted Anthony's mattress (weighs a ton - no wonder he bent the fram); this mattress is very comfortable to lie on and much lighter. Talk to Laurie Wall the Gen'l Manager or Ian; easy people to deal with too. Cheers,
AnswerID: 560206

Our Sponsors