Electrical appliances

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:27
ThreadID: 120239 Views:8788 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi It is actually fun to be a newbie and to start new threads and read all of the responses Also quite interesting to see how an off-shoot having nothing to do with the primary subject develops (even though I am told that you are supposed to stick to the primary subject matter ). So let's try a new one! Would like to hear from those carrying electrical appliances if it is really worth the storage issues, for example, toasters, jugs, rice cooker, frying pan, mixer, blender - those are the ones that pop into my mind that we have that need to be disposed of. The biggy - some are carrying clothes washers. Brand? Size? Are the appliances like bicycles - in that thread more than one Bogger said that he wouldn't carry them again because they don't get used! We will go into the water on the next thread Thanks for the continuing info. Cheers, tgintl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:29

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:29
Jay, A bit quiet on this subject mate. Washing machine. A few people who live in their van all the time like to carry a small washing machine with them as they have had problems with cleanliness at some parks. We don't have one, so can't help much other than to say that I have seen them both in vans and rear of vehicles, and a front loader allows it to be used in a vehicle without removing it. We carry the following electrical items. Jug, Toaster, box type fan, iron, hair dryer, and easy-cook electric oven. Depending where we are going we sometime take a bread maker along. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560207

Reply By: Dusky - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:30

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:30
Jay, Adding to Brians list: Depending on whether we are bush camping or in parks depends on which BBQ we take. The electric Sunbeam BBQ is taken when power is available. The electric Sunbeam BBQ is thermostatically controlled and can easily be washed in the caravan sink before storing under the bed. It is kept in its original cupboard box that is about 35cm*65cm*15cm, weight about 3kgs. 20cm TV with electric aerial booster, occasionally the video and the mobile phone charger. If weather is cold we take an electric heater and the electric blanket. Dusky
AnswerID: 560208

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:31

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:31
We are dead against carrying unnecessary appliances - apart from a small TV, the only electrical appliances that we have are (1) electric jug (to save gas and time when in a van park); and (2) small sandwich maker which we find convenient for quick lunches. We don't use an electric toaster and prefer both the ambience and the taste of making toast using one of those wire thingos on top of the gas (it's also very fast). I know that Lorraine and I will have a bit of a debate when we do a big trip, 'cause she wants to take a Turbo Cooker, whereas I can't see the point given that we already have an oven. Phil PS One of my relatives recently travelled around Australia, and dead-set, they had so much stuff you had to unpack cupboards and/or the rear of the car to get to anything. We travel light, and find there is nothing we have ever missed not having. We also spent about 10 years going on holidays with our 3 kids in a wind-up Jayco camper trailer. Compared to that, the BT has everything we need.
AnswerID: 560209

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:32

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:32
Jay, Bob and Chrissy Eustace have done a review on the Lemair washing machine:http://www.around-oz.com/innovations_mh/lemaire_auto_washer.htm Angie
AnswerID: 560210

Reply By: Toomelah - Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:33

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:33
We carry a Samson juicer which draws 160 watts and can be used through the inverter and a dehydrator which can only be used when we're on a powered site but allows us to buy fruit and vegies when they are abundant (mangoes next month) and then have plenty of fruit and veg when we're away from supplies. The dried stuff is much lighter and takes up less space too. Oh, there's also a hair dryer! Clive
AnswerID: 560211

Our Sponsors