Sterilizer unit

Submitted: Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:19
ThreadID: 120246 Views:2830 Replies:13 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Anyone with experience with the units please comment on whether it was a good investment. Does it clog too easily, filter too slowly, any other issues. Thanks, tgintl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:21

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:21
Why do you want it?? (Water sterilisation)
We have camped in the most remote areas and never had water problems.
Retain one tank for clean drinking water (as designed) and this will make about 195 cups of coffee.
If you run short or are in doubt about the quality of water in the other tanks BOIL IT.
You do that to make a cuppa or boil the spuds anyway.
In 5 years of bush travel never had a crook tummy. (from water that is)
The creek water and dam water is only for washing so unless you brush your teeth with it no problems.
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560259

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:22

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:22
Have fitted top quality water filter on the potable tank that takes out all harmfuls (inorganics & organics) down to crypto-sporidium & giardia. About a quarter of the price. Don't see the need for steriliser unless you want to take on supplies from a dried up dam with several bloated carcasses floating around in it. There could be some environs where it would be desirable. Ask Steve where - he may know something that makes it advisable for your situation. Griff
AnswerID: 560260

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:23

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:23
Griff, if you are only taking water from safe sources for your potable tank, why do you need the filter? What brand filter did you fit? What do you do regarding general filtration or better of nonpotable tanks? Thanks, tgintl
AnswerID: 560261

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:24

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:24
Why use a filter on potable, 'safe' supplies? First, what do you regard as 'safe'? Not impressed with the end product of the water supplies nationally in taste or added ingredients. Don't say you need to remove everything a la reverse osmosis systems (these are not efficient anyway - its not a one for one filtration, so not suitable for our type of installation), but certainly happier with a high quality end filter. We use filtration at home. Certainly on the taste front alone, I find it hard to take non-filtered water in tea or coffee, let alone straight. If you think it makes no difference, we had our own little unintended experience after delivery of the van. Although we had a filter fitted, the water tasted a little "off". Put it down to imagination, new taps and cups 'tainting'. When it didn't improve after a week, decided to inspect the interior of the filter. Surprise, surprise. Filter element and washer had been unpacked and placed inside the housing, but not screwed on!!! So we actually had no filtration at all. Fitted the filter element and hey, presto, drinkable water! Any custom install is likely to have little oops's like that. The fact that we could taste an obvious problem on water supply from 'good' sources, like Gold Coast & Sydney only reinforces the benefits when drawing from places like Adelaide. Buy a filter or be one. Prefer to use Carbon than kidneys for the job. Haven't done anything re filtering the non-potable supply at this stage. Hope I won't have to. Griff
AnswerID: 560262

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:25

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:25
Griff, can you provide a website or other information on the filter you choose to use? Thanks, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560263

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:26

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:26
Some food for thought on Water Filters. In the Caravan & Motorhome Magazine Nov 2003 has a buyers guide on this matter. Wehave organised B.E.S.T. filter out of Brisbane and they were recommended to us by BT owners from Vic that we met whilst at Coral Bay WA in July. Their web site is www.silversafe.com which is very comprehensive and informative. BillnChris
AnswerID: 560264

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:27

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:27
Been a while since posted anything but have some depth of experience on this one. During various escapades over the last x years have had cause to take drinking water from extremely muddy dams, suspicous streams, pristine mountain water etc. You get the picture. After getting giardia from the pristine mountain stream and having done a bit of research on the spread and growth of various bugs around the world there is no question on my mind any more. Given the balance required between money available, a risk assessment of possible travel areas, perusal of various used filters from home use etc I will always spend as much money as I have on the best filter system I can find. Ange also says that after seeing the used filter from the very good Hobart water she would not be balking at spending any money. I hope this saves somebody from losing their guts in a cruel and agonising fashion or worse out in the middle of nowhere.
AnswerID: 560265

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:28

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:28
I'm with Ivan here ...I saw in a 4x4 mag some months ago that even the Snowy River has high levels of pesticides and the mag cautioned everyone to try and filter all water. Just because it looks clean doesnt mean it is ...... My wife studying Microbiology as part of her degree certainly didnt baulk at the money I spent on fitting my own filter/UV sterilizer system in the BT. Dead animals upstream of the where you pull water is concern in this country especially in drought. I did make a rod for my own back by having filtered water available at the sink at home since they were born ...so now they wont drink anything else. Imagine a child on a camping trip with Bali belly. We primarily filter for taste but as a side bonus we are protected from viruses/bacteria. Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560266

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:29

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:29
I'm convinced! It this site serves any purpose - other than socializing and jokes and tests - it is education. Now the question becomes: are the filters and UV sterilizer fitted by BT good value for money or is there a better way to accomplish the same goal, to wit: filtered and UV sterilized water? Thanks, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560267

Reply By: Dusky - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:30

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:30
Jay & Griff, You both have undertaken extensive research regarding your BTs. I have been developing my BT specification for the past 12 months and been quite happy to sit back passively gathering the quality information supplied. Although my general BT specification is nearing completion, for example we want the lot, I have not given much consideration to the interior layout apart from island bed and fridge in rear corner (madam’s demand). There have been some terrific responses to van queries supplied by active members of this Forum. Many thanks goes to Brian, Angie, Anthony, Collyn and many others for assistance in clarifying many issues and blowing my budget out the window (BT + F250) (grin). I do not expect to place orders until sometime later next year. My query is whether you put specifications together for your BTs? If this is the case maybe we could trade ideas and I would very much appreciate a copy of your specifications so that I can further refine my BT requirements. Thanks to all, Dusky
AnswerID: 560268

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:31

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:31
Dusky Being the a _ _ l retentive ex-lawyer from the USA that I am, I have lists of my lists! Seriously, I have compiled an extensive list of specs/purchases which I would be happy to post pertaining to the BT, the F-250 front end, and the F-250 rear end (the custom canopy that Bob Lemon turned me on to and increased my budget). The list has been composed of a review of the last 6 months of posts and lots and lots of questions and answers from the helpful Boggers. If no one has an objection I will post the list under the documents section and update it as I make my own changes. It seems that some has posted single documents and others have posted a folder with a single document. Turist/Brain: what is the preferred procedure? Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560269

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:32

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:32
Have played with a next generation compact, integrated carbon block filter with built-in UV sterilizer that only switches on (automatically) when unit detects water flow through the system. Looks & performs sensationally & has great third party test results. Still trying to confirm release date here in Aus, but may be worth the wait. Will probably be a fraction of the price of the current full system used by BT and will certainly be a much simpler install. Will keep you posted. Griff
AnswerID: 560270

Reply By: Dusky - Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:33

Friday, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:33
Jay, Thanks for the response. Any additional info, including relevent BT design info that I may have missed on the forum will be useful for finalising my design. I will post my BT requirements spreadsheet within the next few days. Dusky
AnswerID: 560271

Our Sponsors