F-250 Shock absorbers

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:09
ThreadID: 120248 Views:2755 Replies:14 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi How about some opinions on modifications/changes to the stock shocks that come with the F-250. Any thoughts on the Rhino shocks that you can change from inside the vehicle? Thanks, tgintl/jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andy1 - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:11

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:11
Jay We have airbags fitted front & rear. Stops that "floating" & enables the vehicle to be kept level at all loads. If you have extra cash to burn a system is available that allows the air bag pressure to be adjusted from inside the vehicle. Andy
AnswerID: 560282

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:12

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:12
Hi Andy Thanks for the reply. Never have cash to "burn" - hopefully, only to spend wisely. What brand are you using and would you use the same one again? How often do you change pressures - that might determine if an adjustable system from the interior makes sense for us. Thanks again. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560283

Reply By: Andy1 - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:13

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:13
Jay Ours are Firestone from The Air Bag Man in Brisbane - fitted in Gladstone. Given that we only use about 20psi vs a max of 100psi checking is not onerous - maybe once a month if I remember. Have not towed the BT since the front ones were fitted but the rear units certainly gave us the option to level up. I have been suprised that we seem to be the only F250 owners to have fitted these - the rear of the F250 really sags when you hitch up 250-300kgs. I am working with an Automotive Engineer currently looking at up rating the F250 GVM. Did you see Collyn's comment re weight on the Caravaners Forum? Frightening, but so many are in the same boat. Andy
AnswerID: 560284

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:14

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:14
This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.
AnswerID: 560285

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:15

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:15
AnswerID: 560286

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:16

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:16
AnswerID: 560287

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:17

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:17
Andy, I am leaving today for a week of cycling. When I return (after 8 Dec) I will call you as I am very interested in this issue. Interestingly, we went to a trade show called SEXPO - I will leave it to your imagination - and saw the F-250 for the first time up close. There are almost none available for immediate delivery in Melbourne. It is a big machine! I guess the exhibitors of the Effie believe that persons attending the show would also be interested in other big things! I've driven a truck in a past life; can't believe I am going to drive that beast around for fun on a daily basis. Also, the amount of storage available when you remove the tub and add a custom canopy is beyond anything I expected. Definitely getting the folding bicycles so we can leave the Effie parked most of the time. Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560288

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:18

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:18
Re shock absorbers on the 250. This can only be a generalisation as I have no experience with these vehicles -but when a caravan pitches the resultant energy is to some extent absorbed and converted into heat by the rear shockers of the towing vehicle. It will would thus probably pay to upgrade. Do bear in mind that beefing up the rear of the vehicle so that it sits more level, does not make the slightest difference to the front of the vehicle lifting when than van is hooked on, let alone whilst pitching. That can ONLY be done by an equalising hitch. The argument that such a hitch is not necessary can with equal validity be presented as:. OK- the front wheels are caused to lift, so what? Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 560289

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:19

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:19
Collyn, Ford did extensive testing in the outback to get the shocks right on F-Truck range. The result of that testing was the fitting of four shocks to the rear differential taking the F-truck to its GVM with ease. Ride height with heavy loads aside the rear is really setup very well for towing to its legal limit. The front is ok also but in my opinion needs more rebound dampening with the pitching of the BT ..... this is being picky though .... I intend to fit Rancho RS9000 adjustable dampening shocks to the front and set them to control the front to perfection. When loading the effie to the limit I'll be following Andy's lead with the airbag kit added to the rear springs. My RS5000 steering damper will come from the cupboard and be fitted also .... You really have to give to these vehicles as it is the first 4x4 I've owned that you can honestly take it from the showroom drive to BTi ...hitch up 3000kg (WDH on) and drive away and still have the vehicle dynamics safe. My suspension (shocks and springs), ride height, tyres, after nearly 2 years is 100% stock. Not bad pulling nearly 7 tonne around at 100k's. Just as a side note ... I still wonder why people cant grab the concept that no matter how stiff you make a fulcrum point the leverage (in this case read lift at the front) doesnt alter for a given weight (ballweight) applied. As for the front lifts so what .... as you know camber, castor and toe-in alter (changing the steering dynamics markedly) let alone contact patch reduction affecting steering and braking performance. Sigh ! All this is fine while everything is in your favor whilst plying the roads of our land ...look out when trying to avoid an incident with a big steering shift combined with or without hard braking and OVER she goes !!!! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560290

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:20

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:20
Hi Anthony,
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have
not come across one caravan manufacturer that gives me any reason to believe
that they have real mechanical engineering skills, no matter how fancy or robust
their products may be. The attitude towards WDH's is further evidence of
my observations.
David
AnswerID: 560291

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:21

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:21
Andy, I have decided to follow in your footsteps and fit the Airbag Man bags. Could you please send me the model number etc that you installed and any other pertinent information. I will also install with the in cab adjustment package. Any tips on their use would be appreciated. Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560292

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:22

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:22
Andy and Anthony Sounds like twins - - Reading further Anthony indicated that he was going to fit the RS9000s to the front and the airbags to the rear. Teach me: why not RS9000s to the front and rear to act as they are supposed to act, and bags to all wheels to raise and level back to original levels before we tweaked the system? Thanks, Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560293

Reply By: Andy1 - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:23

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:23
tgintl Our F250 is fitted front & rear with Firestone Ride Ride Double Convoluted Air Springs. Well worth the money. Andy
AnswerID: 560294

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:24

Sunday, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:24
Thanks Andy. Did you change your shocks or keep the stock shock? Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560295

Our Sponsors