Paper is heavy; books are worse - 2nd try!

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:03
ThreadID: 120253 Views:3268 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

In reviewing the older posts two publications were recommendede:

"A Guide to Priceless Campsites & Rest Areas" by Jan Holland. There are 2 books...1 for the South and East and 1 for the North and NE "Camps Australia Wide II" Paper is heavy; books are worse!! On our yacht we had a scanner and literally scanned every manual and book into the computer - probably eliminated a meter of paper. Please advise what books you have found indispensible to carry as references keeping in mind that we are going to be living/travelling in our BT full-time. Thanks, tgintl/jay PS: I am purchasing the HP4110 which will run on 12V and faxes (don't need it), and also prints, scans (with a sheet feeder that folds flat when not in use, and copies. Relatively small footprint for what it does.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:05

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:05
Jay, You will find that once you start travelling our back roads and tracks, that electronic items such as scanners, printers, television have to be carefully packed or padded as they don't take kindly to being shaken by corrigations. Our Television when securely fixed in van has been repaired 3 times after bits rattled loose. Our good printer that we kept in a cupboard will no longer work, something must have shaken off in that too. We keep a copy of the large print size Hema Maps "Australia Road Atlas, including 4WD Map section" and the "Camps Australia Wide II", as well as another set of Hema Maps that are the large fold out type that give better detail of remote areas. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560336

Reply By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:06

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:06
Brian Corrigations must be an amazing experience - feeling is believing!! I have been at sea crashing into the waves with my computer on for navigation and never even had a head crash. The computer was firmly secured to a high density 1" foam base. Thanks for he info Jay
AnswerID: 560337

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:07

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:07
From an ex charter skipper with 30+ years of bouncing around on boats I can assure you that there is no comparison to the affects from corrugations to the affects from sea conditions.

There have been some hints as to how to best prevent damage to circuit boards, one of the best tricks is to reinforce all component mounts with a dab of neutral cure silicone.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560338

Reply By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:08

Tuesday, Nov 25, 2003 at 19:08
Turist: It doesn't sound like you are a tourist! Look forward to catching up with you at Copeton and hearing your sea stories. Thanks for the advice. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560339

Our Sponsors