BT Requirements Specification

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:53
ThreadID: 120258 Views:81071 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Attached is a my requirements list for a BT. A lot of info contained within the attachment has been gathered from comments and advice provided by the BT Forum members. I was not able to access the Documents folder to insert the attached file. The Forum executive may wish to copy this file into the Documents folder for use by prospective BT owners. Dusky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:55

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:55
Dusky, that is a fantastic document! What is your background. I am embarrassed to post my poor excuse next to your gem. I will anyway . Cheers, Jay
AnswerID: 560367

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:56

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:56
Dusky, I too was unable to access the Documents folder. When I clicked the add button, all I got was a blue screen and no way to add the documents. I am attaching my current purchase lists which though extensive are still not complete. I will complete them when I return. Cheers, tgintl/jay PS to managers: How do you add a document to the Documents folder? Thanks.
AnswerID: 560368

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:57

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:57
Chris, I noticed in your data reference to Stainless Steel screws/bolts etc being used. When I was buying something a couple of months ago the salesman made reference to some sort of reaction between stainless and other materials, and advised me not to go stainless but to use galvanised. You or other might know better, (I certainly know nothing about it) but I just thought I should mention it. Brian.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560369

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:58

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:58
Electrolysis or galvanism (galvanic action) is caused by dissimilar materials touching together causing a chemical reaction, in the presence of oxygen, with a small electrical current a byproduct accelerating the process. I'm certainly no expert in physics and this is a simple definition. Stainless and aluminium is one of the worst combinations but as the stainless will survive, the theory is that you can still get it apart if the bolt can be undone. The secret to fastening something together to survive this action is to isolate the stainless fastener from the parent material. Over the years I've done this a few ways ...... In the case of a bolt and nut I would drill the hole slightly larger and fit a piece of heat shrink to the shaft of the bolt and depending on the compression needed use plastic washers under the head and nut. I had bolts done this way in my boat for 5 years and had little or no corrosion. If I needed more clamping force or was using stainless rivets into ally I'd use a anti-electrolytic compound (Durolac being the best I've tried). This is also very successful stop electrolysis ...so any stainless fasteners going into a BT should have this compound coated on every fastener. Could I also mention that NEVER I repeat NEVER use a stainless steel fastener in a critical use area because their tensile strength is very low compared to alloy steel. A critical area is anything on a van or vehicle that if it breaks it will cause an accident. So never use them on anything involved with brakes .... like using them for caliper bolts or disc rotor attachment .... never on a steering component ..... NEVER to attach the hitch or towbar .....suspension etc etc. To give an example of strength the average stainless steel fastener has a tensile strength of 56,000psi and an alloy steel fastener is about 170,000 plus. So the stainless only has about 1/4 of the strength of a Grade 12.9 ISO metric alloy steel. Stainless fasteners prime use is only for corrosion resistance with their higher max operating temp, being about 30% higher than alloy steel, being secondary. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560370

Reply By: Dusky - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:59

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:59
Jay, Will review your specs when I have more time later next week particularly the F250. Noticed the info regarding the Lemair XQBM20-C washing machine. I spoke to Lemair last week and they advised that the XQBM20-C can be purchased direct from Lemair in Sydney for $250. Can supply the Ph # if required. Brian and Anthony, Yes, had overlooked the galvanic action problem. Well aware of this problem after working in the aviation industry for may years. Have amended my BT specs. My spec attached to previous post is intended as a check and action list to ensure that everything is covered/addressed at BT contract award and later at BT acceptance. Thankyou, Dusky
AnswerID: 560371

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:00

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:00
Dusky, I would be interested in having the phone number for Lemair in Sydney if you wouldn't mind emailing me with it. It's on our shopping list. Angie
AnswerID: 560372

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:01

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:01
Hi I too would love the Lemair contact details, a family of 5 generates a lot of washing. With 3 boys under 3.5 years, in most cases you can't recycle anything for a second wear! Tassietracker5
AnswerID: 560373

Reply By: Dusky - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:02

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:02
Angie/Tassietracker5, I will provide the phone number tomorrow. Have not got it with me at work. My main concern with the machine is that it is only about a 2.2 kg tub size. I would like to see what the tub size looks like before we make the purchase. Dusky
AnswerID: 560374

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:03

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:03
Being the generous type of guy I am I purchased a washing machine for the girls .... all three of them can use it. It draws very little power from the inverter ....miniscule amounts of water .... and weighs hardly anything at all .... [GuesswhosmumsgotawhirlpoolSmile] Explore this Great Unwashed Land ...Do it Easy ... Tow a Bushtracker Here is a pic ....
AnswerID: 560375

Reply By: Wadefarers - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:04

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:04
Anthony Love the humour Anthony and the model but a good suggestion for her indoors (or is that outdoors??) But I thought Angie (sorry Angie) lived in the Land of the Great Unwashed. Come home soon Angie. (How many days to go??) Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 560376

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:05

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:05
We have got one of those washing machines as well, only I must be doing something wrong, because I get the job of using the plunger but at least they work reasonably good when you are out in the bush. For those still contemplating what solar panels, batteries and water tanks to fit in their vans, I have attached a sheet in the Documents folder saying what other Bushtracker van owners have fitted to theirs. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560377

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:06

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:06
Hello peoples, Love the photo of Nina, Anthony, but you didn't have to get the poor mite out of bed to be a model LOL. And why do I get the feeling that you speak with forked tongue when you say who actually uses the "washing machine"? Hmm?? If I judge Cindy correctly she will have included it in your job description, not hers or the girls. (Angie'sallknowingallwisegrin). I saw the Lemair at the Brissy show earlier in the year. After talking to our friends who were with me, who have friends who have one (phew), they were excited to see them at the show but another couple told them to get them from the Good Guys where it was cheaper (but still not as cheap as Dusky is advertising). I know that it will fit jeans, a doonah cover, sheets etc (not all together) and as we will be on the road a lot I have no intention of washing those things by hand. For some things, even if they just spin out lots of extra water it would be good. We could call into a caravan park or laundromat, but they are few and far between out the back of Bourke etc. The other alternative is to get hold of a twin tub like Ernie Nomad has mounted on his draw bar. One way to save water, but I am not sure of the power consumption. You would need to ask him about that. Angie 239 days to go and some of them are getting mighty chilly at the moment.
AnswerID: 560378

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:07

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:07
New Zealand full time roadies use old fashioned roller wringers to sqeeze water from their washing. They bolt these to their vans or motorhomes. Apparently they are a much sought after item over there. vidas
AnswerID: 560379

Reply By: Dusky - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:08

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:08
The Tecma Lemair P/L contact details are: 246-252 Hoxton Park Rd Liverpool NSW 2170 Ph 02 9608 1266 Fax 02 9608 4827 Fully automatic XQBM20-C Apart from other specifications provided in other posts: Cabinet is plastic 3 wash programs - Heavy, medium and light soil Spin Speed - 1 fast 800 - 850rpm Water Capacity level - Heavy 20lts, medium 15lts, and ow 7lts. Max water consumption 60lts Rated power - wash 225w, spin 260w Angie, How much do you think can be fitted in tub to do one wash, for example say quantity of double sheets or number of bath towels? Dusky
AnswerID: 560380

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:09

Thursday, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:09
Dusky Generally the capacity of the washer is the dry weight of clothing - ie as the Lemair is a 2.2kg - try around 2 kg of dry towels, sheets etc to give you a rough idea of what will fit in. If you have a large van you could look at a NEC 4.5kg top loader, weighs only 10kg more than the Lemair & lighter than the 3kg dometic. Cost is around $395. Cheers Darryl
AnswerID: 560381

Our Sponsors