How Much Do You Pull?

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:29
ThreadID: 120267 Views:5999 Replies:13 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Someone asked about sound system current draw. Mine as follows: With 4 cabin speakers and sub-woofer playing- Radio only 1.3 - 3.0 A 12 Stack CD 1.5 - 3.2A TV 5.6 - 7.3A DVD & TV 6.2 - 7.7A The lower figure is at a reasonable volume, just discernable from outside the van, the higher figures are at unreasonable volumes where everyone has to leave the van. Hope this is useful Griff love his woofer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:31

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:31
Mate, I hope you went for the commercial vinyl on the floor. All that that dancing you and Ester are doing in the BT ,with that sound system, you must be wearing it out.[flashDanceSmile] I have to say that was nice elevator music while we cooked brekky/dinner at Woodford. Cindy is very wary of me going to buy sound for the BT for the reskin ....you know the story .....I'm just going down to Northfield buy two decent speakers dear !!! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560445

Reply By: Motley - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:32

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:32
On the subject of Sound Systems, I am currently playing round with putting a Juke Box in the BT. I am waiting on delivery of an Apple iPod. Has a 40Gb hard disk. Am currently using free Apple Software (iTunes) to rip my entire CD collection to MP3 Files. If the PC is connected to the Internet, iTunes goes out to a database and retrieves CD Album info - Album name, all track names and music category. This is all stored in a database library on the PC and then downloaded to the iPod, which incidentally, is a little bigger than a pack of cards! On current progress, I will be storing about 500 CDs on the iPod!! Then there is an accessory which plugs on the top of the iPod about the size of a AA battery. It's an FM transmitter so then all I need to do (in theory) is tune the radio in my car or BT to that frequency I set and voila, we have an entire music collection available complete with search facilities, playlists etc etc. It's theory at this stage but so far is looking good. Should be able to report next week. By the way, as I'm ripping each CD, I'm storing them in CD albums. Anyone interested in about 300 Plastic CD cases?
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560446

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:33

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:33
Motley, Some more details on the FM transmitter please - will it work on any device with line-out, or only on iMac? I am looking for something that will let me broadcast FM from an MP3 player, then I can listen to all my MP3's in the car or the van without having to buy a whole new sound system. Phil
AnswerID: 560447

Reply By: Motley - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:34

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:34
The one I have ordered is designed to plug on the top of the iPod. iPod provides both lineout and power. A friend of mine does have a transmitter which takes lineout and has separate power source. I will get details and post for you
Motley

AnswerID: 560448

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:35

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:35
Two other little tweaks that I will be doing to the sound system. I have 4 cabin speakers and two outside speakers that hang on the wall when needed. The outside speakers are driven by the rear channels and the inside speakers by the front channels. This allows you to use the fader function on the radio to control relative volumes inside & out (from full inside and zero outside, right through to the the opposite). Fine so far. The issue is that 2 of the inside speakers are over the bed, so if your partner wants to sit up & watch the Rugby & you want to go to bed, she will have to keep the volume way down so as not to disturb you (or get The Babe's IR headphones). The solution is to have a two way speaker switch box installed so you can turn off either pair or have both sets running. Next project. Finally, for those with a subwoofer, to reduce bass boom and unnecessary amp drain and distortion through the main cabin speakers, can I suggest a simple capacitor on the positive line to each of the cabin speakers. This will act as a primative cross-over (high pass filter) and roll off the bass going to the main speakers, turning them into mid/hi speakers, with the bass being carried exclusively by the subwoofer. Your sound guru should be able to advise the electical values required to get the correct roll-off for your system. I think a cleaner sound would result. Should be able to get a half way reasonable switch box for about $40 and similar price for the 4 caps. Solder On Griff
AnswerID: 560449

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:36

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:36
Motley said
"By the way, as I'm ripping each CD, I'm storing them in CD albums. Anyone interested in about 300 Plastic CD cases?"

Be careful.
Some of the album cases have plastic wallets where the chemicals in the plastics react to the coating on the CD.
End result over time is a CD that won't play.
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 560450

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:37

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:37
Because the early F250 came without a CD player, (now have 6 stacker) we had a 6 stacker installed behind the rear seat with an FM modulator and we have a small contoller in the dash and after tuning car radio to 88.3 we listen to CD's the same as if it was all in the radio. That way we were able to retain the original radio. They say that the quality is reduced by using the FM modulator, but we cannot notice anything. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 560451

Reply By: Motley - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:38

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:38
Phil, I spoke to a friend of mine about the FM Transmitter he uses. It's a Micromitter supplied by Javcar Electronic. Have a look here - http://www.jaycar.com.au/ and do a search on Micromitter Pete
Motley

AnswerID: 560452

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:39

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:39
re the FM Audio transmitter. I have hunted these down from Harris Technology - cost is only $49. Basically, just plug it into the headphone or line-out of any audio device (such as MP3 player, PC, Walkman, iPod) and the audio is broadcast on FM (choice of 3 frequencies) for playback through your stereo radio system. The device is very compact, literally not much bigger than it's battery case (2 x AAA) and works upto 30 feet. This is exactly what I was after, 'cause I can play my MP3's back either in the car or the van, using the existing (high quality) stereo systems that I have installed. The only negative that I can see is that the high frequency audio response is limited to 15kHz which may mean that some music could lose a little of its "brightness", but is adequate for most popular music. Details are : Belkin TuneCast FM Mobile Transmitter, Harris Part No. K8560. Picture is attached. Phil
AnswerID: 560453

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:40

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:40
Recent DVD installs by Sound in Motion can play MP3, so would not need the Micromitter solution, but for earlier installs, sounds like a great idea. One final thing for the sound buffs, is a problem with the Jaton unit. This X media box is the transfer case between TV, DVD, Satelite, PC and your TV monitor & sound system. Its a good unit but has a little CPU with a 25mm fan for cooling. The fan sounds like very loud transformer hum (you can hear it across the other side of the van when there is quiet music or dialogue). Very annoying. If the fan runs when the unit is in standby (orange light) the unit is capable of modification so it only runs when on operate (green light). Even with this mod, found it unacceptably loud, so Sound in Motion have suggested removing/disconnecting fan, which I have done. Blessed relief. I have attached a big heat sink to the top of the CPU heat sinking - where the fan used to be - with heat sink compound between. This is a precaution as I would like a bit more heat proofing for Summer. If I need still more, I will mount an outboard computer fan (quiet) & duct it through the case with a heat sensitive variable switch. Should fix that. SiM don't feel it will be necessary (hope not). In the mean time enjoying the quiet bits again. Griff
AnswerID: 560454

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:41

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:41
Griff, In the classic Anthony tradition I could attach a "K" type thermocouple on that processor for a day to check operating temps. Now there's an excuse to finally put that non -alcoholic wine to rest ....unless you poured it over the garden .... or want to keep it for the "laugh" value. Speaking of monitoring temps (were we ?) I spotted a BOG member recently with an infrared temperature gun checking the fridge, tyre and hub temps. The two vans nearby borrowed it to check their fridge temps. It was a great laugh at Cania when Mick asked me to check the roast with the temp gun ..... it was good to see another "mad bugger" using one !! [smile] I'm still trying to decide on Alpine or Pioneer .... do you lean either way for 12v sound ? I was going to use Made in Japan the pick but I think they're both made outside Japan now ? Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560455

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:42

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:42
Hi For those of you buying an iPod for MP3 storage, take a look the following:http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/index.html The iTrip is heads above the Belkins unit and is accordingly more expensive: $92. If you check out the Apple forum site there were many complaints about the Belkins unit and lots of recommendations about the iTrip. It will be in Australia next week. The local dealers are:
Memory Solutions (VIC)
2/200 Turner St
Port Melbourne Vic 3207
Tel: (03) 9645 3806
Fax: (03) 9645 3867
Email: info@memorysolutions.com.au
Memory Solutions (NSW)
103 Albion St
Annandale NSW 2038
Tel: (02) 9564 6448
Fax: (02) 9569 9054
Memory Solutions (QLD)
3 Pinnata Court
Everton Hills QLD 4053
Tel: (07) 3355 2588
Fax: (07) 3355 3299
AnswerID: 560456

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:43

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 09:43
Final bit of Audio stuff. As well as removing Jaton Fan & substituting heat sink, removing crumbly chunks af styrofoam from the back of the speaker cones, and adding high-pass capacitors to the spekers, I have finally added the two way speaker switch box to turn the cabin pair and the above-bed pair to be turned on & off seperately. In the process, discovered that Soundin-Motion had reversed the wiring on the cabin pair so Left was Right, usw. This meant that when sitting at the table, looking at the TV, sound was reversed (Violins on the right for those that that means something to). That's easily fixable. (Now tune out all Non-Sound-Buffs). Of more concern is that the interior speakers are wired with so-called "speaker wire". This 2mm twin flex is industry standard, but has all the current capacity & sound quality of wet string. Would suggest 4mm multi strand twin flex would give better sound (especially long term). Finally, AV was still a bit bassy, even with head amp equaliser set at flat. Couldn't figure it out. Went into Audio setup on the Jaton on-screen Menu & their was the culprit. Loudness was 'On' & bass was also up a few notches. Much better now. Griff
AnswerID: 560457

Our Sponsors