Christmas/New Year

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:21
ThreadID: 120278 Views:3546 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, Just wondering what everyone is doing for Christmas/New Year? Also, what is on the wish list for Santa to bring if oyu have been naughty or nice? Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:29

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:29
Helen, What are the specs on the Apline sound system? Will we hear it in Melbourne? Dueling sound systems at Copeton Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560498

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:30

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:30
Helen et al, I posted this some 9 months ago ....still applicable today !!! Watch for symptoms ... I'm afraid Angie has contracted a common diseaese called Bushtracker Anticipation Trepidation Tremblers Syndrome ... or commonly known as an attack of the BATTS.
It most commonly seen in the BT owner in the period between the deposit and delivery stage .... it is not commonly outside this period so Angie might have the rare form called
Early Onset B.A.T.T.S .... Time will tell !

Symptoms include but are not restricted to .....
Adrenalin rush on sighting a BT (even a picture) causing a lowered skin surface temperature and a butterfly effect in small intestine and stomach.
Trembling is seen in the chronic case ... in the acute case it can be seen by too much exposure over a short period.
Some long term cases can recite BT Specs and Options at will especially near the delivery date.
Alcohol will increase the problem turning the acute into the chronic instantly.

Treatment
Treatment is only palliative at this stage so support from friends and other people that have taken delivery is vital. Valium works in the short term but is contraindicated. Being taken in short trips in friends BT's is in the planning and controlled trial stage.

The prognosis is good .... all symptoms and traces of the syndrome appear to fade in the first 48 hours after delivery. Small recurrences can appear when fitting aftermarket accessories. It may also appear again in the preceding days of a trip .... in the first year.

I'm only getting over it now ..... <grin>
Anthony

Explore this Great Land ...Do it easy ... Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560499

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:31

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:31
Jay, I'm going very boring (read simple) with the Alpine to keep current consumption at a minimum. Just a premium head unit .... quad 6" speakers .... not even an amp ! Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560500

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:32

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:32
Hi everyone, Very Merry and safe Christmas and a Happy New Year. Will be home with family at Shailer Park Seafood etc Regards to Angie in Londinium Peter Mackenzie
AnswerID: 560501

Reply By: TripnTaps - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:33

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:33
Hey Jay,
I'm not planning any yodeling or thunderous hoof noises but
your right I'm definitely working on the sound system specs...duelling BT's at
Copeton.... your on!
I take it you survived the bike venture week OK - it was
quite without you.

Anthony - what a crack up - Yep I really identify with the
B.A.T.T. syndrome - we saw a BT going south on our way north to BTi on the
Hume in October- well that was conversation for about 4 hours. Alcohol
definitely did help at the adding up stage of what the BT may ultimately
cost and we are holding the Valium until we comprehend what it will really
cost.Today we were checking out roof rails for loading our intended
tinny on the LC the mention of BT's and guys at the 4WD Opposite Lock shop
were literally lustful about BT's - powerful stuff.
Thanks for a good laugh - great value.
Regards, Helen & John
AnswerID: 560502

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:34

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:34
Definitely still suffering from B.A.T.T.S.even now at the post deposit stage. Anthony, are you sure there is no easy cure? The symptoms seem worse. I need some chocolate. Angie 233 sleeps (or lack of ) to go.
AnswerID: 560503

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:35

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:35
Thanks Macka, A very Happy and safe Christmas and New Year to you and yours. I see you haven't lost touch of using colour in your postings. Angie
AnswerID: 560504

Reply By: Wadefarers - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:36

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:36
Angie You might have the BATTS, but being in London at least you don't see any on the road. Think of the others that do and have a worse case of the BATTS. Valium and/or alchohol might be the only prescription for them. 233 sleeps - go girl (tired yawn grin) and stock up on the chockie. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 560505

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:37

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:37
Helen & John said "until we comprehend what it will really cost"

Don't let it worry you. Use the amortising system to justify the cost.
Say an avge BT cost of $75K, avge motel costs of $85.00 per night, throw in about 100 overnights per year in a van park at $22.00 per night and work it out.
First night cost $75,000.00
2nd night cost $74,946.00
3rd night cost $73,892.00
etc, etc.
Before you know it you will be sleeping at motel room rates, and after that, wow, think of the money you save everytime that you sleep in the van.
With the savings you will be able to order a new Bushtracker, and then the costs will only be about $125,000.00 for the first night, but they are reducing.

Best regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560506

Reply By: Rockgoc - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:38

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:38
<LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="1466349401"></LABEL> Spending an "orphan's Christmas" here at the big pebble. Lots of liquid lubrication (obligatory at this time of year in the desert!) lots of envious mates asking all the same questions re the "Bushwacker". Lots of ham and turkey and seafood goodies if we are lucky and the freight arrives on time! His wish list...a Sat TV and sound system "like Motley's"....the written out list is getting really frightening! Her wish list...for it to be March already and D Day so the BATTS goes away......nearly wet myself laughing when I read that post...how TRUE IT IS!!! This website has become an addiction with us...gotta log on every day to read up on what's what! Paul is probably ripping his hair out every time we e mail with a new something we want included in the rig. By the way, has anyone been in contact with the man from Abrolga lately? We can't get any reply to email and he's never there to answer the phone...on leave maybe? Can anyone help there? Can't wait to meet with you all at Copeland...A very Happy and safe Christmas to all, Angie hope you can enjoy the snow a little bit...it will be a distant memory this time next year. Cheers from Jan & Ian
AnswerID: 560507

Reply By: Dusky - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:39

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:39
Turist, Yes fully agree with those costs savings. However, there is the interest that could have been earned on the $75k plus the depreciation of the BT. And then there is the F250 and the difference in purchase cost for one of these against a sedan, and the interest that could have been earned on the money plus the depreciation of the F250(LOL). Anyway, who is complaining, apart from the kids with the reduced inheritance (LOL). Dusky
AnswerID: 560508

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:40

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:40
Yeah Dusky, and I forgot about re-registration costs, insurance, diesel for the Webasto, tyres, etc etc.

But then how do you appreciate the $ value into the calculations after spending a pleasant evening watching a desert sunset, bird call alarms in the mornings, priceless encounters with wildlife and of course, sh*! stirring on this forum.
Sure makes the other caravanning forums boring. All the lawn bowler "coastal travellers" talking about who gives a seniors discount etc.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560509

Reply By: Dusky - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:41

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:41
Turist
Ahh ... you have got me there ... "with the pleasant evening watching a desert sunset, bird call alarms in the mornings, priceless encounters with wildlife" and of course the sights not seen before. All this is what makes the BT and F250 well worth it. What gets at me is all you boggers boasting about it and I have about 700 sleeps (Angie speak) to go. (smile) Can't wait until I join you! Dusky
AnswerID: 560510

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:42

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:42
Dusky says: I have about 700 sleeps (Angie speak) to go. (smile) Can't wait until I join you! Angie (with one less sleep than yesterday) says: "Always somebody worse off than you in life isn't there"? Interesting, but when we tell people that we plan to travel for the rest of our life and never work again (if we can help it) and that we are living in a van and 4WD, they have trouble with the concept (think it's jealousy myself). They would rather be up to their eyeballs in debt. So now when people ask us what we are doing when we go back to Australia, we just say that we are going to travel around Australia for 12 months and then see what happens. Seems to sit much better with them. The reality for us is that we don't really care what others think about what we are planning to do but it is an interesting thought pattern they have. Example. One fellow we know is getting married for the second time just after Christmas. He is in the process of buying a couple of units that are not even built yet in Melbourne and won't now get as good a return on them as they originally promised. He is approaching 40 and his wife is12 years younger and they both want kids. They couldn't afford the deposit on their new house here in London so got a loan from her father. So now he is in debt for 3 properties. They want kids and I know that he will insist on sending them to private schools so he will be in debt until Kingdom come. She has no assets either. And he laughs at our new lifestyle. I would rather have ours than his facing us next year. No debt, no worries, NO WORK!! Angie
AnswerID: 560511

Reply By: TripnTaps - Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:43

Sunday, Dec 07, 2003 at 10:43
Thanks Turist,
Love the logic....we feel so much better now.
Hang the Valium were going out to buy some
Champers!!!
Cheers,
Helen & John
AnswerID: 560512

Our Sponsors