Interested

Submitted: Monday, Dec 15, 2003 at 18:47
ThreadID: 120287 Views:2751 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi out there We read your article in Caravan World Nov issue. Our names are Don and Sandy Whittaker and we live on the Sunshine Coast. We have had our Bushtracker since 1998. In July of that year we started out on our first BIG trip intending to be away for about 12 weeks. 62kms west of Katherine heading for the Gibb River Road, 2 roadtrains passed us one after the other going the same way and literally blew us off the road. It was my first time towing the van. Anyway, we brought the van home, stripped it to the trailer and had it rebuilt by Bushtracker. Have done a couple of short trips since then and a couple of beach trips. We would really like to do a proper 4WD trip with a group as we are lacking confidence since the accident. Could you suggest something please? We have heard about your 2004 rally. Is there anything happening before then? Regards Sandy Whittaker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Dec 15, 2003 at 18:49

Monday, Dec 15, 2003 at 18:49
Hi Sandy, welcome to the site.
We saw your van being rebuilt and it was one of the deciding factors that led us to place an order.
We thought that van that could be rebuilt after that must surely be able to sustain some rough roads. Proved to be a correct assesment.

So far as I know there are no group activities planned prior to the rally but keep tuned in for further messages.

Try a few more smaller trips to regain your confidence, gradually extending your distances and time on gravel. I am sure that it will come back.
We make a practice of pulling right over and if not stopping then slowing right down when those road trains approach on the narrow outback roads.

We have found it to be not so much of a problem now that we are towing with an F250 but the R/Trains certainly moved things around when we towed with the Patrol.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560580

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Dec 15, 2003 at 18:50

Monday, Dec 15, 2003 at 18:50
Hi Sandy A 2nd welcome to the site. We are in the process of purchasing an F-250 (delivery Feb 2004) and a 21' BT (delivery May 2004). We are coming your way in Januuary ( meet with BT on 12 & 13 Jan). Some of us are planning to go the the Gympie Muster late August before driving to Copeton for the rally. Our gen'l plan is to spend June - August in Northern Queensland learning to tow and live-in our new permanent home. We also intend to take some professional courses so that both Jackie and I are proficient in driving and towing "the beast". Perhaps we will see you on the road or at one of the events. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560581

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Dec 15, 2003 at 18:51

Monday, Dec 15, 2003 at 18:51
Hi Sandy, We had a crash with ours soon after getting it but after having it repaired we have now travelled 58,000km without any problems. We also live on the Sunshine Coast, Noosa, but we are away until the end of January, so we will have to catch up when we return. Brian.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560582

Our Sponsors