Aussie Traveller maintenance

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:00
ThreadID: 120293 Views:2373 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Pretty happy with our Aussie Traveller awning BUT was really surprised to see that they have used crappy everyday steel in the bolts which secure the rubber swivel joints. Mine is 2 1/2 years old, and kept undercover when not in use, so I am pretty annoyed to see some fairly serious corrosion developing in these bolts. They would be fairly tricky to replace (if I can actually relase the nut) so still thinking about whether I will do that and replace with stainless. Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:02

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:02
G'day Phil, My first Aussie Traveller awning is over 7 years old and still resides in the shed. It has seen Fraser and Bribie Islands quite a few times and the bolts in question have corrosion but would still be able to be undone. The ones on my BT (2 years old) look very slightly oxidised. These bolts are zinc (silver) coated steel and the nyloc nuts are the gold zinc type. They should last a reasonable time although not "really" compatible with aluminium. Stainless is the way ...even though they not as strong, in this case are fine as they are only holding a soft joint for the outriggers. If you want to spend the money replace them with a "316" grade stainless ...if not "304" grade ( more range available) is perfectly acceptable and infinitely more corrosion proof than the originals. If you want to protect the aluminium extruded box where the bolts go through, a bit of Lanolin or any grease on the thread under the bolt head (and nut) will be just fine. Dont overtighten as the nuts are nylocs and the thread is now greased reducing friction ...just firm !!! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560588

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:03

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:03
Woops almost forgot ! You probably know this already ... the end caps have to come off to place a ring spanner on the bolt heads to undo the nuts .... Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560589

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:04

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 06:04
Thansk Anthony for the tips.
AnswerID: 560590

Our Sponsors