sassy-sams home

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:27
ThreadID: 120295 Views:2842 Replies:13 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Sorry Michael & Melinda that I missed you when you picked up your van on Friday. I spent a very enjoyable hot day with the crew at Bushtrackers on Monday 8th going over my new van. It looks great. Arrived back in Melbourne on the following Sunday safe and sound. The Bushtracker tows magnificently. Just sits solidly on the road behind you and not affected at all by all the semi trailers whizzing by. I certainly had plenty of those passing me by as my tow vehicle (a 3litre Nissan Patrol GU) performed terribly. I averaged about 70 - 80 kmh on the flat all the way home. With lots of hills between Kunda Park and Melbourne that average dropped to 40 kmh and 20kmh on the really steep hills. I did manage to get it up to 100 kmh but only when going down the other side of the hills. Needless to say my plans of coming home down the Newell Hwy were scotched in favour of the dual carriage way of the Pacific and Hume Hwys, which unfortunately meant that I had to navigate through Sydney. My vehicle is now in with Nissan being looked at to see what is wrong with it. Very disappointing and it now means my plans of hitting the road early January have been put on hold until the vehicle is sorted out. But very happy with my Bushtracker and will now have slightly more time to get it properly packed and set up before I head off. On my trip up passed through Armidale in NSW on 7th Dec and saw my first Bushtracker on the road. I waved as they went past and they probably thought who is that crazy woman. Well it was an excited me and if you read this will now understand why that woman was waving. Hopefully my vehicle is fixable and will soon be on the road where I hope to meet up with fellow Boggers. On getting my van home I climbed my ladder to inspect the roof, only to find it higher than I realised. Any ideas or tips on how to carry out maintenance, such as cleaning, from you more experienced Bushtracker owners? From soon to be on the road (my fingers are crossed) Sheryl.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TripnTaps - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:29

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:29
Hi Sheryl, Congrats on your maiden trip Well done!!. Apart from the car issues we all know the only way to fix these things is to throw $'s at it and if you go by the talk on this site mega $'s for an effie for maximum grunt but heck you see the countryside when you go slower - isn't that the idea - tis the journey not the destination Glad you are happy with your van and I would be so rapt to see a waving crazy woman on the road doing her BT best. Go girl... Cheers.... hope we catch up with you one day for a few of these Helen
AnswerID: 560592

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:30

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:30
Sheryl, You can certainly stand back and be proud .... a great effort !!! Ordering, configuring, picking up and driving home a BT to Melb ...well done ! Was this by yourself ? If it was grab two gold stars ...what an effort !! For cleaning the top of the BT I just use an old fashioned squeeze-mop. Works well for the solar panels and you can reach most places without shifting the ladder too much. The A type ladders are a bit wobbly when standing on their top step so grab one of these that folds out to one long flat ladder. Wrap some duct tape around the ladder frame where it rests against the weather strip so it doesnt mark it. I've drilled two holes in the ladder frame that takes two hooks ..... one has the bucket of soapy water the other has the hose with a water gun clicked on the end so the water doesnt run all the time .... just when you press the trigger. This stops going up down, up down as much as possible ..... grab some soapy water from bucket, clean as far as the mop will reach ... grab hose from other hook ....rinse off. Keep the spray pattern as soft as possible and direct it down from above around vents and the aircon cover etc. I find I'm only washing the top every 2-3 months but touch up the solar panels before every trip and if on the road when they get too dusty/dirty. If you need a pic of the type of ladder I can place it in my album ? I thought the Patrol 4cyc was limited to 2500kg tow weight, has it been uprated by Nissan lately ? The GU being 2400kg and only 116kw/350nM it is no powerhouse but I would expect it to only drop to 60-80kph on the hills just south of BTi .....hope they find something ! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560593

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:31

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:31
Hi, Sheryl, I think that was us that you passed. We commented on someone waving at us and couldn't work out who it was. We are now at Bittern, just down the road from you. We will try an get over and say hello. Brian & Margaret
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560594

Reply By: Wadefarers - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:32

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:32
Hi Sheryl Congratulations on the new BT. Aren't they just great. Last time we went to Qld we drove up the Newell from Sydney. Certainly found the towing easier as the Newell is very flat. Matter of fact didn't change gear from top all the way from Narrabri to Dalby and quite a good road. Worth considering if worried about the hills. Hope everything is all right with the Nissan. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 560595

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:33

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:33
Hi Sheryl, Got any photos for Angie yet? Priority you know. LOL. Angie
AnswerID: 560596

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:34

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:34
Sheryl, Many congrats on your BT. I certainly do know the feeling of meeting a fellow BT on the road. I saw one passing through Branxton between Dec 1st and 5th heading south with a tinny on their LC roof. I waved and waved, flashed my headlights. I think I waqs suffering from a very very severe case of BATTS. We are currently preparing for a trip and will be passing through Melbourne in the New Year on the way to Tassie. We may drop by if there is time. In the meantime, enjoy your Xmas pressie, tinkering with a few things like we are now. Cheers, Michael.
AnswerID: 560597

Reply By: TripnTaps - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:35

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:35
Hi Michael, If your passing through Wangaratta on your way south and you'd care to stop our contact details are on the BOGGERS list - however you like - we could meet you in Wang for a cuppa or just big smiley faces with flashing headlights on the LC at Maccas Glenrowan just off the freeway - it would be great. We used to live at Mandalong west of Morisset -miss our corner of the Central Coast - but its great here too. All the best for your New Year trip, Cheers.... Helen
AnswerID: 560598

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:36

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:36
Am I the only one? I find myself having unconsciously & automatically adopted a "rating" system when driving with The Beast in tow. When a camper trailer or A-Van passes, he gets one finger raised off the steering wheel (a Kimberly or Ultimate probably gets two); a small pop-top or campervan gets two; a large pop-top or small van or motorhome gets three; a large van or motorhome gets four; the only thing that gets a full hand wave is another BT or an exemplary motorhome (like a Swagman), or some poor soul waving like a demented windmill. Some even elicit a nod in deference to an Ascended Master. (Lord only knows what I'll do if I ever encounter Conrad's 28' Hilton coming at me on the open road some day.) Of course, points are added or deducted for tow rig, presentation and unusual rig (like large 5th wheeler with Isuzu prime mover). Is this arrogance and a Superiority Complex coming on that needs addressing, or just natural feelings of fraternity and the community of the Band of Brothers (and Babes) on the Wallaby? What do you think, Doctor? Griff
AnswerID: 560599

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:37

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:37
Mate, Griff wrote : > Lord only knows what I'll do if I ever encounter Conrad's 28' Hilton coming at me on the open road some day.) > If Conrad's rig ever passes you or comes towards you pull off the road and just bow .... just bloody bow !!!!! [28ftCheekySmile] And I also want to know your finger system ... ??? Is that with the back of your hand facing them as they pass or the palm ???? Big difference there pal !!!! Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560600

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:38

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:38
Happy New Year to all, Wishing you all a very safe and jolly year ahead. A further update on my problems with my ?trusty? Patrol. Have had Nissan look at the vehicle and had Air Flow Meter replaced on it. Tried it out with my Bushtracker on the back and it certainly tows much better, may make it around Australia yet. However, the intermittent problem that I was having prior to picking up my van (namely, the engine light would come on intermittently), now with this replacement part the engine light stays on all the time I am towing and sometimes when not towing. So it is back to Nissan next week, hopefully. In the meantime all my plans of heading off early January have gone out the window, and I continue to work, waiting on the all clear for my vehicle. Very dissappointing, but it is giving me a chance to set the Bushtracker up the way I want it. So will be based in Cranbourne at least until the end of January at this rate, so any of you mobile (lucky you) BOGGERS I am home if you are in my neck of the woods. Again a fabulous 2004 to all. Sheryl Murphy
AnswerID: 560601

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:39

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:39
Hi Sheryl, Congrats on having your new BT. Perhaps you can camp out in the driveway in it and pretend you're camped at some more exotic location? Any chance you can share what the size and weight of your new toy is, please? Happy New Year, Mike & Shona
AnswerID: 560602

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:40

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:40
G'day Sheryl, Bit of bad luck with the Patrol ... sounds like they are trying to get to the bottom of it. The world of vehicles is never perfect huh !!! Onward and upward ...Take no prisoners at Nissan .... Regards Anthony Explore this Great land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560603

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:41

Thursday, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:41
G'day Michael, That would have to have been us you saw southbound at Branxton on Tuesday 2nd December. We were returning to Nelson Bay after our 52 day "Murray - Source to Sea" adventure. Also, welcome Sheryl and congrats on the shakedown trip. Cheers.........Rob
AnswerID: 560604

Our Sponsors