Just Joined

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:13
ThreadID: 120299 Views:3132 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I hope this is OK to be a member, I do not have a Bushtraker, but I like them. I do like caravanning and camping. I do like these sort of people. Others may recognise my nickname PC0002 from the cousin forums.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:16

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:16
Guys, guys, guys. Rule number one of the Bogger forum is reading through the Charter on the left hand side of the page. There you will see that the more the merrier and a very warm welcome will be issued to anyone who has a BT, wants to have a BT, dreams about having a BT, and those who are just in awe of BTs. You are both very welcome and it will be one of the best Christmas pressies you will have given yourself to join in here and be a part of a lovely group of people like this. We do have a lot of fun. Rule number two of course is that Angie loves photos so thou shalt post photos when new BTs are picked up and travelled in. LOL. Angie
AnswerID: 560617

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:17

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:17
Thank you Angie, I knew somehow you would reply. Kindest regards to Londinium, Macka at Shailer Park with the tribe will soon post photos
AnswerID: 560618

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:18

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:18
Thankyou for the welcome, like most people I don't read instructions or charters, I just plough through until I'm stopped, then I reads the instructions and the penny drops. Promise I will read the charter. Angie, Santa has given Jen and Pete a zoom digital camera, kodak easyshare DX4530, 5.0 megapixel. Jen is reading the destructions and when she tells me how to use it, I guarantee you will get picies. We have to wait until xmas of course.
AnswerID: 560619

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:19

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:19
Hi all, I've also just joined on the basis of being a wannabe! If my tow vehicle has a max of 2700kg that it can haul, and I want a separate shower and toilet and a queen sized bed, does it all still fit into a Bushtracker? I've posed the same sort of question at the factory, but maybe they are all still celebrating Xmas? Any thoughts would be gratefully received. Ta, Mike & Shona
AnswerID: 560620

Reply By: TripnTaps - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:20

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:20
Hi Mike & Shona,
Welcome to the BOG group.
Check out the Caravan World October 2003 issue at the Library
perhaps. In it there is one of our BOG group members 16fter with shower
and toilet but twin beds. This units' tare weight was reported at
1880kg.
There are layouts on the Bushtracker website www.bustracker.com. for 16fters with yacht
style bed which pretty close to a queen size. Its all relative to what you
put into the van ie water tanks etc as to the weight it ends up being then what
allowance you put on top for gear water etc.
There has been a lot of discussion about weights of vans and
their inclusions last month I think - its worth surfing through the past couple
of months postings to follow this up.
Happy planning,
Helen (TripnTaps)
AnswerID: 560621

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:21

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:21
Thanks Helen, Went rabbiting back through the previous posts and noted that the average tare for an 18' seems to be about 2400kg. I noted there was little that could be found on Bushtrackers' website about weight. (And what is a yacht style bed???) Ta, Mike & Shona
AnswerID: 560622

Reply By: TripnTaps - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:22

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:22
Hello again Mike & Shona,
Me thinks you will be pushing it to aspire to a 18fter with
tow vehicle limitation of 2700kg.
We have been through the tow vehicle scenario with fellow
Boggers when we first contacted this site and ended up buying a Landcruiser with
the capability to tow 3500kg giving us enough leeway for an 18fter.
From what I have observed and talking to Bushtracker, for a
tow vehicle limitation of 2700kg (what sort of vehicle is it?) you would have to
consider the 16fter.

A yacht berth is the bed across one end of the van. In the
16fter I've seen with shower/toilet & kitchen in the nosecone the
'yacht berth' bed was across the rear. A yacht berth gives you the maximum
living space interior layout.

Bushtracker and this forum will tell you each vans' weight
depends on the variables of inclusions as they are custom built for each
clients' requirements and generally do differ in weight even comparing a van of
the same size.

Cheers,
Helen
AnswerID: 560623

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:23

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:23
Hi, I have to agree with Helen we must think about safety. Your vechicle may be capable of towing that weight but what about when you are knee deep in dodo (mud) and your effective weight is 25 to 30 percent more I'm sorry but I'll need someone to help pick up your gearbox or tranny out of the way and I'm sorry you'll have to put up with the water carrier in my back seat when I have to get you to help. And what about consideration for other road users when climbing big hills. Sure a suzuki can tow a semi but truckies don't do it all the time. They use something appropiate with about 300ks for 20 tonne and a large gear box of 16 gears. Would you tow a caravan with a Mini ? Not trying to be hard on you or nasty but please think about it. I am thinking about you and your safety. Kindest Regards Macka
AnswerID: 560624

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:24

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:24
Well thanks both for your input. It would be soooo nice if Bushtracker put a little more on their Website that highlighted you need a truck to be able to tow one of their units! I don't want a truck, and we both need a bed we can walk around. All we wanted was a van that was built to last and not made of spit and tissue paper. We didn't want to pull it through quagmires, nor do anything THAT adventurous as we would be keeping within the limitations of ourselves and our tow vehicle. As we'll be keeping our diesel X5 for now, it looks like we'll be keeping our spit and tissue paper van too... A dismayed Mike & Shona
AnswerID: 560625

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:25

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:25
G'day Mike and Shona, As stated you might get away with a 16fter if you can go 2700kg but I thought the diesel X5 was limited to 2300 kg ...could be wrong ... is it listed in owners manual ? A 16ft BT is still capable of having an island bed, ensuite etc and would make one fine van. The usual starting point is 18ft though .... It really depends where you want to go as to the size and comfort level you eventually end up with .... a 16fter will go more places than a 21fter....say ! Another consideration is ballweight ....BT's love ballweight ..the eat it up to the tune of 270 -350 kg downforce at the towbar. I'm not sure what the ballweight limit of the Beemer is but 300kg might give it a few suspensions probs if not over the stated limit ? It would be somewhere between 150 -250 maybe ... owners manual again ? The choice would be a 16fter if you have a genuine 2700kg limit or build a light 18fter with a view to upgrading vehicle down the track to increase carrying ability in the 18fter. If you only have 2300kg limit a 16fter is the only choice and even that might have to be kept lightish .... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560626

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:26

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:26
Thanks Anthony, The 2300kg limit was if the diesel fuel standard in Australia had not been improved. New fuel standard since last January, and it's definitely 2700kg/270kg. The ball weight would be a problem if it starts at 270! (We would have hoped for the 10% ball weight on a van that hit the scales around 2300-2400kg max). We aren't after an "armoured bush assault trailer", just a well constructed road tourer, so we would have hazarded a guess that it might have been possible. We'll wait and see if Bushtracker get back to us and see what they have to say..... Regards, Mike & Shona
AnswerID: 560627

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:27

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:27
Mike and Shona, The ballweight I mentioned was for 18's up .... I think you could still be in the ball park (no pun intended) as an example my BT18 was 2400 delivered and I have a 3000kg limit anyway .... Realistically you can run with 8% ballweight and still be fine ...in my opinion. If you could keep a BT18 at 2200 giving you 500kg of payload ...... ???? All in all if I was spending that kind of money (again) I would want at least a 1000kg payload after delivery. Not worrying about weight saving (with a common sense approach) when fitting it out would make a difference to the fitout markedly. As an example ... you would fit the larger ensuite ... 4 solar panels .... both spares ... extended drawbar ... 3 batteries ...200L fridge .... 4-5-6 water tanks and carry them full if you desire ....air -con .... generator etc all the hallmarks of a van free from 240 volt and a tap for a considerable time. Might be time to look at the V10 diesel Toureg and a BT18 built for two/four !!! [smile] See if you can look in a 16fter and imagine vanning in that space ...... just a thought. I know you said you didnt want an armoured bush basher but it nice to know it will hold up even if you never stress the thing .... resale is outstanding especially for a pristine example. Time to pop some corks for midnight !!!! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560628

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:28

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:28
Mike and Shona, Sorry I didn't mean to scare you off the whole idea and I wasn't aware of the weights of a 16' B.T. I am new to this scene. If you can keep your weight down to what Anthony is saying well and good. Have often thought about the new generation of Luxury 4wd but I am coming from 4wd old school where Landcruisers used to rule. Kindest Regards and Happy New Year Macka
AnswerID: 560629

Reply By: Bogged Mick - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:29

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:29
Anthony, Had a look at a VW Touareg in Melbourne over Christmas and picked up the promotional booklet. According to this booklet the towing capacity for a braked trailer is 3500 kg but, and it is a big BUT, the towbar load limit is only 140 kg. These limits apply to the V6, V8 and the V10. By the 10% rule of thumb this limits the practical towing to about 1400 kg - not BT territory by a long shot. And that 750Nm of torque looked so attractive even if the $150 000 on-road price tag for the V10 made it a dream for this little bogger! Mick
AnswerID: 560630

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:30

Sunday, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:30
G'day Mick, I have to say outta my league also .... shame about the ballweight limit sounds like another Landrover saga. Surely they will revise it ...if they dont there goes the towing sales !! Boss says if I buy another vehicle anytime soon she'll cut something off !!! I was thinking body parts and she was thinking wages !!! Whew ! [bobbitGrin] Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560631

Our Sponsors