UHF RADIO CHANNEL 18 or 40/29

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 00:57
ThreadID: 120301 Views:2936 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Channel 40 is the truckies channel for all areas in Australia, except for the Pacific Highway between Sydney and Brisbane where Channel 29 is used. Last year I sent the attached letter to both Caravan Mags. It was published in "Caravan and Motorhome" only. Trucks are bigger than us, they outnumber us by about 20 to 1, and generally travel faster than we do. My experience so far, using the 40/29 as priority channel, is that I have received superb co-operation and understanding from the truckies, they have great admiration for BT's too!! It's the rig they want to have when they retire! The won't go down to 18 for caravanners unless they want to abuse them. What do other BOGGERS think of this? Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 00:59

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 00:59
I knew there was a different channel for the East Coast, but didn't know the channel number, so that is very helpful to know. We have generally found the truckies to be pretty good, only overtaking when safe. They really appreciate a flash of the headlights when it is safe for them to pull back in.
AnswerID: 560645

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:00
Rob, Excellent letter written by you. However, just a couple of questions as I too am mindful of how slow I can be on the road and would like to help truckies go about with their business. As you may or may not be aware, I am deaf and therefore cannot use the UHF radios. What is an acceptable alternative method for indicating truckies behind me to overtake me as I back off? I am sure there are others who don't have a UHF radio in their vehicles and as such rely on other methods of communications. By the way, I noticed you are located in Nelson Bay. I am situated at a place called Lambs Valley, about 15 mins from Maitland. There is another BT that resides down the road from me too. Will interoduce them to the BOG site soon. Cheers, Michael.
AnswerID: 560646

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:01

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:01
Try indicating a left turn and tap the brakes lightly a few times to show the brake lights.
Usually understood by pro drivers.
The high beam flash to indicate safe to pull in front of you is always appreciated.
Look for a rapid left-right-left-right on the trucks turn indicators as the pull in front of you.
Says "Thank You" for the courtesy.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560647

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:02

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:02
Michael, Using indicators, brake lights and flashing headlights also works, but there is variation in practices. I have found that a single flash of your right indicator is a good prompt. Then as soon as the truck has pulled out, show some brake light and brake if necessary. In Spain, I remember, the trucks had a mini set of traffic lights on the off side (opposite to kerb side). They display red when it is not safe to overtake, amber for "it's your choice" and green for all clear. I made suggestions to Federal Dept. of Transport to introduce the concept here, 20 years ago, but nothing happened. There are two other BT's in Nelson Bay- don't think they are BOGgers yet. Cheers.........Rob.
AnswerID: 560648

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:03

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:03
All, Yep, CH29 is the way to go on the Brisbane-Sydney leg of Pacific Hwy. Recently did trip to Brisbane and return, and hardly any truckies are using CH40 on that section. I might have imagined it, but I didn't think that the Fxxx word was heard quite as often on CH29 either? Phil
AnswerID: 560649

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:04

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:04
Phil
Surely you misspelled four x
As you were on your way to Qld and not on the way back that is understandable.
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560650

Reply By: Suncoasters - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:05

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:05
As a newcomer to this group I thought I would add my two cents worth. I have spent the last five years touring Australia in a caravan (not a Bushtracker, I get that next month) and have not had a problem using Ch 18. I scan 18,29 & 40 and had a sign on the back and front advising Ch 18 was in use and I found truckies would change down to 18 if they really wanted to talk to you. When I noticed the trucks coming up behind I would initiate a conversation to indicate I would facilitate their overtaking of my rig. Using method I never had a problem with trucks the whole time I have been travelling. The main use, for me, of Ch 18 to converse with other vans on the road. David
AnswerID: 560651

Our Sponsors