METRIC USAGE

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 18:41
ThreadID: 120303 Views:2768 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
When we talk weight we use kilograms or tonnes. When we talk distances we use kilometres When we talk fuel we use litres and litres per 100 kilometers When it's 30 degrees celsius, we start the genni and switch on the air-con. When we talk length, - well, our BT is 5.75m (internal wall face to wall face), and, 5.92m (outside length) and, 7.62m LOA (length over all - hitch pin to rear bumper. With my landcruiser being 5.35m (bumper pads to hitch pin), the rig length is 12.97m, say 13m. BTi could start the ball rolling by going metric in length measurements. If you have a tape measure that has feet & inches, chuck it. Even worse, is a tape that has imperial on one edge and metric on the other. Cheers, ........Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 18:43

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 18:43
G'day Rob, Being a high school student in the mid seventies all my tech drawing and math where applicable was metric. It was an era of great conversion though ...for me from metric back to imperial and say, my dad ....from imperial to metric. Can you still buy an imperial tape or a dual system ? I think of BT lengths as models now not so much as their length. After seeing so many I just refer to them as BT18, BT19, BT20,BT21 etc etc. To Steven T. feet and inches is as American as apple pie and why not .... he's the original Capt of the Watch for 1/2 the voyage with Tracy(aka Walk the Plank) the other and probably prefers BT18 to BT5486.4mm or BT548.64cm or BT5.4864m [IsometricGrin] I see the van magazines are quoting both at times then at other times just metric. A few years time and they will all be metric you would think .... That will confuse the grey nomads they'll be converting back to imperial. I could make a killing selling Made in China calculators to them at caravan shows !!!! [PythagoreanGrin] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560652

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 18:44

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 18:44
Anthony, I guess my BT was a BT18, but finished up at 18'10+1/2" inside (returned isometric grin). Perhaps I've got a BT19 for the price of a BT18. (Don't tell Steve). Cheers,..........Rob.
AnswerID: 560653

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 18:45

Wednesday, Dec 24, 2003 at 18:45
To Rob
Measure BT vans from vertical section below bed protusion at front of van to vertical panel above rear cutaway..
Do not include the bit that the bed fits into.
Your van will probably measure 18' at that point.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560654

Our Sponsors