Roof racks for Tinny on a Landcruiser

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:00
ThreadID: 120315 Views:3818 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Would appreciate hearing from Boggers who run a Landcruiser with a Tinny atop. We have the late model independent front suspension type LC and have made several inquiries re Rhino racks & Tradesman Engineering 4WD 'Oval' roof rack systems to suit carrying a boat. The concensus from dealers is we will have to get a 'Boat Loader' type rack - nothing else has been recommended. The gutterless roof has specified mounting points for individual roof racks so you cannot position them as you might choose only where manufacturer has allowed. Thats OK but to fit the back bar with rollers the top half of the rear door will bind on the rollers in that position. We have selected a Sea Jay 3.5m 'Nomad' weight 68kg width at widest point 1.48m Any other suggestions out there. Thanks a bunch, Helen PS .... the 's are sure biting!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TripnTaps - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:10

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:10
Hey Kiwi, Thanks for that suggestion. Will check out the website although if they only have the sports type bars don't think that will work as probably not wide enough for boat. (I'd much prefer the sports bar style for looks but don't think the shaped bars are going to be suitable for application) Good info though, Chow, Helen
AnswerID: 560719

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:11

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:11
Helen, My Italian born grandfather just spun in his grave !!! [smile] From this day forward replace chow with "ciao" ..... and I'll make you a family pasta dish at Copeton ! So long as you like .... Basilico, Pancetta, Pomodoro, Parmigiano Reggiano, Vino Bianco and Barilla No 7 ......... [smile] Woops ! I better translate .... I know ! Over to Motley ..... come on Pete you've done a summer in Italy ??? !!! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560720

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:12

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:12
Anthony, Since you have covered all of the ingredients, count me in and I will bring a large appetite and the TIRAMISU ! tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560721

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:13

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:13
Anthony Do you have stock in Barilla or do you simply like their products? Basilico, Pancetta, Pomodoro, Parmigiano Reggiano, Vino Bianco and Barilla No 7 Basilico = Barilla Basilico! Pancetta = Pronounced pan chet ah. An Italian bacon that while cured with salt and spices, is not smoked. Salsa di Pomodoro = tomatoe sauce. Parmigiano Reggiano = the best! Vino Bianco = the opposite of vino tinto. Barilla No 7 = The pasta base. Si or No? tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560722

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:14

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:14
Jay, Stock in Barilla ..I wish ! [smile] I prefer Barilla when using a commercial pasta. I use so much for family I'm looking at buying by the carton now ! I use canned tomaotes but only La Gina imported as they are perfect San Manzano type for cooking ... others can be bitter .... Basilico = plain old basil on the bush ! I dont use commercial sauces in pasta ... that has Nonna turning in her grave next to Grandad ! [smile] If time doesnt permit I might use a commercial sauce for a pizza base but that is the limit ...any more and it would be bad family karma ! [grin] Kids only eat home made pizza base and only freshly made so have painted myself into a corner with pizzas for some time. That reminds me that bloody Andy & Jude challenged me to a pizza cookoff at Cania and oven problems aside for both of us I scored 8-10 and his was a 91/2-10. I have to say his roasted artichoke slivers were superb ! Watch out for Copeton rematch Andy .... I'm coming armed with roasted garlic tinted eggplant and char grilled capsicum, pal .... real buffalo mozzarella, mate ! Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560723

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:15

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:15
Anthony "I prefer Barilla when using a commercial pasta" What make pasta maker do you use either at home or in your BT? Yum....... tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560724

Reply By: Wadefarers - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:16

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:16
Anthony/Jay Love the rest but prefer Barilla No 13 to No 7. Oh well, I guess that's just being fussy. Looking forward to Copeton, the meals must be unbelievable!!!!!! Tiramasu, bring it on. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 560725

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:17

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:17
Jay, My pasta machine is the same brand that my Auntie/Grandmother carried with them from Italy circa 1928. The brand is "Imperia" made in Torino Italy ... and virtually looks the same as Auntie's. I purchased mine in 1990 so mine is not even run in yet ! [smile] One thing to remember with pasta machines is to never use salt in the dough as it rusts the rollers .... salt the water instead as is the Italian way. Never dunk it in water as the internal parts are not stainless like the outside. I just wipe it over with a damp cloth at the most ...usually just clean the flour away with a paint brush .... place a paper towel on the rollers and wind it over a few times. Life is too short not to eat fresh pasta now and then ... Anthony Explore this Great Land ..Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560726

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:18

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:18
Jeff, Most of my meals from home having a strong Italian influence, therefore being simple flavours and few ingredients, transfer to the BT "kitchen" easily. As most like when BTing a one pot meal is a bonus for the cook/dishwasher !! [smile] You are certainly not being fussy with regards to pasta shape. All the pastas have the same ingredients(identical between the shapes of the same brand) but the shape determines the flavour "load" to a great extent. For an example take a simple Carbonara ... I use Penne Rigate not Penne Lisce ... Rigate has ridges along the length giving a greater surface area for the sauce to stick to .... Lisce is smooth so holds less sauce. Both these pastas are the same in size and shape just the small lines make them differ. Certain shapes go better with certain sauces thats for sure .... if Barilla 15 is working well for that particular dish I wouldnt change it for all the "citrus in the Sunraysia area". [smile] Anthony Explore this Great Land ..Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560727

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:19

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:19
Jeff, Woops ! Meant Barilla 13 not 15 ....... above ! Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560728

Reply By: TripnTaps - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:20

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:20
Antonio,
Forgive me so
I will never again write 'chow'
Only

Ciao,
Heleno

PS I'll bring the Lambrusco
AnswerID: 560729

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:21

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:21
Helen et al, Liz can't eat pasta as she has to eat wheat free. So I will go back to the original Tinnie on roof rack discussion. Firstly, my roof rack is the Toyota Heavy Duty 3 bar model, which is the same profile as the Rhino roof bar. These are much stronger (but uglier) than Sports Bars, and are probably higher off the roof, which is important when it comes to clearance of the open back window. My clearance from the glass is only about 15mm. Yes, you do have to juggle the tinnie's bow cover over the end of the ladder and then slide it back a little. So in the event of a tie-down failure. the tinnie won't fly off the roof as it will be caught by the ladder (Probably accompanied by a loud noise!! The positioning is such the Honda boat fuel tank fits snuggly on top of the ladder, between the transom and the back seat, after the boat is loaded and tied down. I'll try to do a sketch of the set-up and either way, will give a demo at Copeton. Regards, (non-edible)...........Rob & Liz
AnswerID: 560730

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:22

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:22
Sorry Rob I did sorta start a thread diversion ...seems to happen to few threads but that is the Boggers !!! [wink] Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560731

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:23

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:23
Yes Anthony as long as its egg pasta with my
bolognese sauce,Romano cheese, a good red and a good woman. Ah
heaven!
Macka short for macaroni
AnswerID: 560732

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:24

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 05:24
For me yes Antonio,
regards