This Thread has been Archived
Hi Take a look at Wharington International
48-50 Hargreaves St
Huntingdale
3166 Victoria Australia
Telephone: 03 9544 5533
Fax: 03 9543 1907
Email: sales@wharington.com.au
Web: http://www.wharington.com.au They make truck fuel tanks. They have a cylinder tank 400 x 1422 and holds 220 ltrs. Mounted with "J" brackets and steel straps. Comes with pickup and return tubes. Also electrical sender fuel guage. The steel tank is $480 and weighs 47 kg; the aluminum is $660 and weighs 47kg. The four brackets and straps are $150; the electrical is $170; the pickup and return are $40. I am installing the aluminum in the canopy we are building and having the air vent from the main tank vent to the return pipe of the aux tank. The pickup will go from the aux tank through filters etc to the main through a nipple welded into the side of the main filler. Any suggestions for sufficient filtration to remove all problems. Going to go the Anthony route and only fill aux and filter into the main as often as possible. Thanks, tgntl/jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:13

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:13
Jay, This is the type of thing I'm using .... talk to a Racor rep about filtering a bad batch of fuel in the outback, flow rates for filter to size pump and micron size for filter media verses algal clogging (algae grows in diesel) I'm making my tank with flat ends to mount filter and pump on the tank as I want mine portable as I stated before.http://www.parker.com/RACOR/PRODUCTTABLES/TABLE-TURBINE.JPG Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560764

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:14

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:14
Anthony oh great guru, I was planning to use ARB's 195 litre auxillary for my cruiser. Is that a good idea in your opinion? I like your filter idea. Thanks in advance Macka
AnswerID: 560765

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:15

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:15
Macka, The tank is not so important other than to say it has to be mounted well and protected if underneath, wrapped lines (both fuel and power) etc .... ARB would have this sussed for sure. Filtering the fuel is the most important with being able to remove it to clean it out if it gets a gut full of water, algal growth or particulate matter contamination (rust particles etc) being a secondary consideration. Bob, Brian, Andy and many others travel this wide land regularly and I've not heard that bad fuel has been a problem. It is not the problem of old but it pays to be ready I think. Probably more of a problem is people adulterating it with kerosine. As you know the two primary requisites for a diesel engine is ...Clean Fuel and Clean Air. Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ... Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560766

Reply By: Luvntravln - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:16

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:16
Anthony, Regarding fuel additives, on Skywave we used ProMa for many years without a problem. What, if anything are you, or any of the other Boggers, using? Cheers, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560767

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:17

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 21:17
Jay, I've looked at this a fair bit and the additives I'd like to run in the Navistar engine (effie) are not imported (ex USA) because of laws and flammable products now. I think the dieseline we have here is pretty good and not subject to the winter temps of the USA so wax formation is not such a problem. Algae is another matter and after two years when looking in my fuel filter bowl it doesnt seem a problem because of the turnover of fuel in the cities. When I do the tank mod in my effie, to help it fill better, I was going to leave the use of additives discretionary depending on what I find on the tanks inner surface. Of course as you know tanks kept full rather than empty have far less of a problem. Diesel experts of the quality of say Berrima diesel ... Mack, Volvo, Kenworth were my next port of call regarding additives for Aust fuel and climate. Now if Catepillar could supply me with info ............ Marine is another matter altogether because of the enviroment the tank is in .... I'm not 100 % sure but I think algae grows faster if there is water in the tank .... especially if the water is frank and not just in solution. The algae loves the diesel/water interface .... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ... Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560768

Our Sponsors