Flat TVs & Swing Arms

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:17
ThreadID: 120329 Views:5179 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Whilst we await delivery on 15 Jun of our 18'er we are killing the time by looking at the various (& myriad) options available to us in the way of AV gear for the van. Of particular interest to us are the "flat" TVs & swing arms of the type Grifffyn & Motley Pete have installed. We would be grateful to hear opinions on suitability, recommended brand of TV & swing arm etc. So far the Sharp Aquos (sic) is the only one we've laid eyes on here in Perth. 15' seems to be a good size. Thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:19

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:19
We are very happy with the swing arm concept for mounting the TV. It means that there is not the problem of firstly finding a place to place the TV while you are watching it and secondly finding another place to store it while travelling. There are some photos of our setup in Motley's pictures. Have travelled on some VERY rough roads and have not had any problems with this mount. Would recommend that if you go this path, you get BT to position the mount as high as possible. Gives the flexibility to view from either in bed or seated. We had to have ours repositioned. The swing arm we have was supplied by Sound in Motion (as was all the AV gear). Have a look at this site - http://www.atdec.com/spacedec.html Rather than go for a flat screen TV, we actually used a flat screen computer monitor - a Sony. The video signal comes from an AV controller unit which incorporates a TV tuner. It's called a Jaton x-media Dreambox - http://www.jaton.co.th/ The benefit of this approach is that other AV sources can be fed through the Jaton to the Monitor. In our case, we have a DVD Player and an Abrolga Satellite system. You can select from these sources via the Jaton remote without have cables running around the van like spaghetti. Also, the sound is fed through the speakers in the ceiling of the van which gives a much better sound. Have not had any problems with this set-up and would recommend this approach for flexibility rather than the path of the flat screen TV. Incidentally, I don't think there is that much differnece in price between the flat screen TV and a Jaton + good quality (XVGA) monitor
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560800

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:20

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:20
What he said. Griff
AnswerID: 560801

Reply By: Fot18 - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:21

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:21
Motley & Griff, Many thanks for your responses. The thought processes are certainly flowing & despite the dollars adding up we figure, what the hell. If you are getting the best it won't hurt to enhance it even further!
AnswerID: 560802

Reply By: Motley - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:22

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:22
Exactly my sentiments!! After nearly 12 months, the RATE of spend has certainly slowed down but I've abandoned all hope that it will ever hit zero!! Still, we have maintained that "grin" since the day we collected our BT, so it's not all bad news.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560803

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:23

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:23
If you look up "no regrets" in "Anthony's Colloquial Encyclopedic Book About Bushtracker Yore" or A.C.E. B.A.B.Y. !!! ..... it says ..... No Regrets: Colloq. 1. The aim of every impending Bushtracker owner when doing the floorplan, fitout and decor of their dream exploration machine. 2. Empty wallet. 3. Peaceful sleep. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560804

Our Sponsors