Video player required

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:07
ThreadID: 120336 Views:2953 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, we are sorting out our Audio Visual needs and have organised most from Sound in Motion who of course do a lot of work with Bushtracker. However we need to source our own Video player/recorder. Anyone got any recommendations? Nothing too big or expensive but with remote and able to use 12volt/240volt would be good. Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:09

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:09
Angie we found that the VCR was very prone to vibration damage when travelling over the dreaded corrugations.
If the VCR is hard mounted in a cupboard or on a shelf the moving bits such as the cassette carrier & drive wheels simply shake to bits.
We tried travelling with cassete inserted to prevent this but it still broke. Couldn't get the cassete out.
Unless you are prepared to carry it on the bed or somewhere else in cotton wool then maybe you should re think.
After destroying 2 VCR's we no longer bother.
The TV has the components supported by silicone and is carried on the bed, no more problems.
The DVD is an automotive model designed to accept vehicle vibrations and has not been a problem.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560836

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:10

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:10
FOR SALE
Video Cassete Recorder.
Some repairs may be required.
Genuine enquiries only accepted from Angie
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 560837

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:11

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:11
Turist, Thanks for that information. We have some videos of particularly Ivans marathon that he did in Morocco that he has never seen. I think he wants the chance to relive the glory days plus I have the Kedron videos (ssssshhh don't tell everyone or they will kick me out of the Bogger group) which I would like to look at so we will still look at video option, but as you say may carry it on the bed. Re the advertisement - thanks, but no thanks. (Some Boggers are right B.gg...s) Angie
AnswerID: 560838

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:12

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:12
Babe! New tech idea for you. Video is a dead end for lots of reasons, but understand some historical stuff is nice to have. Get your special videos transfered to DVD, then forget video as a format. Apart from the space you will save from not having another box of electronics to rattle about, you will save a ton of spce from not having to tote the cassettes themselves. The final goody is that DVD's won't degrade like tapes. I suspect this will be a cheaper, better option for you. Luck Griff
AnswerID: 560839

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:13

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:13
Thanks Griff, We've ....er...actually just bought a VCR to play those historical tapes you were talking about but thanks anyway. We will look to carry it on the bed when travelling so it will be nice and snug. And then when stopped will pop it on the bench under the monitor so it should be fine there. I think in a couple of years when the video idea has worn off with us we will look at the idea of transferring videos onto DVD. Do you know if it can be done linking a laptop with a built in DVD burner to a VCR or would it have to be done by a professional outfit? Angie
AnswerID: 560840

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:14

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:14
Hi Live Angie! No probs on doing your own transfer I am sure (there may be some brand-specific issues, but you'd have to be unlucky). Regards Griff
AnswerID: 560841

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:15

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:15
Angie we have been transferring our old videos to disc, no problem.
Only a matter of connecting VCR to DVD recorder/player with a TV for monitor.
Gives the opportunity to edit at the same time.
Only problem is that I have not yet seen a DVD recorder/player designed for mobile use and I fear the same problems as earlier described.
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 560842

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:16

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:16
Turist, what about a burner in a laptop or a separate DVD burner. They exist and give the right cables might also do the job? Anyway, whatever happens we still needed a VCR to play the things to even be copied didn't we? Angie
AnswerID: 560843

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:17

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:17
Hello Angie Have been reading the messages and remember reading your gear list a while ago, and suggest that you may want to look at using a CD/MP3/DVD changer in your set up. Apperantly these are available I was offered this in the effie but went for a CD/Mp3 changer withe seperate DVD so that the boys can watch the wiggles in the back seat using headphones and mum and dad can still listen to a cd. We are currently sorting out our Audio and Video for the tracker with my Hobart rep who will then give the list to Brian from SIM and I will email this to you when it is finalised so you can see what we will be using. Rod
AnswerID: 560844

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:18

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:18
Hi Rod, we already have the DVD/MP3 player etc in the van and I know that the new Effies come with a CD player. We also have a Jaton dreambox etc. The whole set up is actually like Motley's except that our monitor will sit on the bench. The only thing that was missing from the set up was the video player. We need that to pay our historical videos but maybe later will look at moving them onto DVD. Thanks for the info. You gonna be in Hobart around August or will we first meet at Copeton? Angie
AnswerID: 560845

Our Sponsors