Short trips

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:04
ThreadID: 120337 Views:3034 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Here are a few. Willandra National park. This park is located near Hillston in S-W NSW. Willandra was a huge sheep station and the original woolshed and homestead remain. there is bush camping here with pit toilets. there are cold showers at the visitor centre/homestead. U need to be fully self sufficient as Hillston is about 60km away. The park is a flat as the ocean with grasslands stretching to the horizon. At dusk the landscape literaly moves with kangaroos. A great sight. There is good birdwatching along Willandra creek. Because its so flat its excellent for bike riding but you will be repairing punctures.If u want a more adventurous way to reach the park you can drive along the service track which follows the main western railway line. You can reach the track from Condobolin or Euabalong West. Mungo National Park. This park is located between Ivanhoe and Mildura in S-W NSW. the camping here is more organised but again you will need to be self sufficient. there are hot showers at the visitor centre. This was sheep grazing country and an ancient woolshed remains on the property. This is a great place with interesting Aboriginal history. [ Mungo man or Mungo girl were found here] The sand hills and sand formations are facinating. take a piece of stiff cardboard and use it to slid down the dunes.The night sky is simply stunning. Follow the Darling this is a fun drive. You can start from Wentworth near Mildura and follow the river all the way to Bourke taking in Menindee Lakes, Willcania, Tilpa and Louth. There is river front camping along the way. A great detour is to visit White Cliffs. From Bourke you can head for Brewarrina and have a look at the fish traps there. (its all bitumen from Bourke ) From Bre head for Walget and while in the area have a look at the Grawin and Lightning Ridge opal fields. All the trips described involve a fair bit of dirt roads. Have fun. These are great places to take kids. Vidas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:06

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:06
Thanks Vidas, all donations gratefully received. I have added them to my list. Angie
AnswerID: 560846

Reply By: Bushtracker42 - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:07

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:07
I am waiting for the day when I consider those short
trips.

I have been meaning to send some extra sites for the
list. I was trying to get GPS positions but ….

Anyway attached are some of our favorites that are
open to all.

----------------------

Gary Harding

TriSys Engineering/III

AnswerID: 560847

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:08

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:08
Short ? Trips. Re Wilcannia - Menindee Road, Lots of good camps on the banks of the Darling. WARNING! - If it rains, stop, set up camp and wait 'til the road has dried out! Usually 2-3 days after an inch of rain. It's impossible to move on the wet grey or black soil roads. On the red soils it's extremely slippery and not recommended as you will leave horrible tracks for those who follow after the road has dried out. This one's a little shorter. DUNS SWAMP, east of Rylstone, beautiful lake (take your tinnie), good fishing (bass, yellow bellie, trout), spectacular rock formations, great walks. Pit toilets. Take a day trip to Ferntree Gully, near Breakfast Creek, north of Rylstone on the Bylong Road - a wonderfull walk with spectacular scenery. Cheers,...............Rob
AnswerID: 560848

Reply By: Wadefarers - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:09

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:09
Gary Could not find the attachment. Another of those lost in cyber space?? Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 560849

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:10

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:10
Re road closure due to rain or excessive dust along the Darling river. i heard of an unconfirmed report that if a road has an official road closure sign poasted that a fine of $1000 per wheel applies if the sign is ignored. thats $8000 for a 4 wheeled car and duel axle caravan. thats expensive. dont know if its true tho. vidas
AnswerID: 560850

Reply By: Bushtracker42 - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:11

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:11
It is generally true. We did the murray/darling
a few years ago camping (Pre-BT). I am not sure it was $1000 then, or per axle
or per wheel, but more than a significant cost.

----------------------

Gary Harding

TriSys Engineering/III

AnswerID: 560851

Our Sponsors