Feedback from Nissan GU3 Patrol Owners

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:18
ThreadID: 120342 Views:7609 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I know there must be some 3 litre GU3 Patrol owners out there towing BTs. A friend of mine is looking for some realistic impressions of these units as he is considering one - among other options. He tows a 1.5 tonne single axel Supreme 'Getaway' - a genuine heavy duty off-road van. Real off-road, not just off-the-tar for those who may not be familiar with these units. It runs on the "Sugar Glider" independent suspension. Auto for the new vehicle is mandatory. Genuine impressions from current users would be welcomed. He has visited a number of Nissan Patrol forums and is familiar with the general chatter on the problems some have heard of and sometimes experienced, but is keen for the kind of quality and informed feedback I have told him to expect from this group. Hope someone can help. Myles
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:20

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:20
Myles, Just going back through the old messages after our trip and found this one. Last June we went out to Birdsville and then down to the Flinders Ranges with them. They have a manual 3.0 lt Turbo Nissan Patrol, after trading their 4800 petrol because it was Too thirsty. They tow a 16ft BT but because it has outboard motor, and bulldog trailer as well as lots of other goodies packed in, it is reasonably heavy for its size, plus they have a 12ft tinny on the roof. We were maintaining 95-100kph and it handled all conditions well and produced good fuel economy. They intend trading it on another one if they can get a reasonable deal, so they must be pleased with it. If you would like to talk to them, send me an e-mail and I will give you their phone number. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560869

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:21

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:21
VERY competent off-road vehicles, just remember their big towing drawback is the severely limited tow rating on Nissan Patrol autos (Manuals still down at 3200kg from memory) Griff
AnswerID: 560870

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:22

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:22
Brief comment re Nissan generally Some vehicles in the range have bodies fully rubber mounted from the chassis. As the battery negative is earthed to the chassis and the engine block, but not necessarily the body structure, there can be a problem with voltage drop if any negative leads are earthed only to bodywork - particularly around trailer couplings. This can affect all sorts of things including auxillary lights etc. If you have a Nissan (or other vehicle with similar earthing) it's well worth getting out that multimeter and doing a few spot checks. Please note the above is a comment - not a criticism. Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 560871

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:23

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:23
Thanks Brian, Griff and Collyn for your help on this thread. I have passed on the issues/comments/views/facts you raised to my friend who asked me to pass on his thanks for your input. Myles
AnswerID: 560872

Our Sponsors