Landrover I think

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:05
ThreadID: 120345 Views:2813 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi MylesandKathy, My names Lance I notice in the documents that it looks like yous have a Landrover 2.5lt and I am looking at them at the moment. I have been asking about them with people who are as unbiased as possible and most info is good. I have been told they can leak oil in the series one but that the series two BMW have fixed. I would love any info you can give me as I like them alot. Mostly looking at Discovery new if possible. Thanks ...Lance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:07

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:07
G'day Lance We have a TD5 auto with approaching 120,000 km on the clock. It is a '99 model with ACE and SLS. It has not had an easy life but has been reliable. It has a sump pan oil leak at the moment which will be fixed at 120 K service. Rear rotors replaced at 114 K. Front pads at 80 K. It suffered the dreaded oil-in-ECU syndrome at around 100 K but fixed under a warranty arrangement outside of time. This problem, I understand, was confined to a particular '99 batch only. With a new model due towards the end of the year, you should be able to get a good deal on a new one - particularly if you head for an '03 model. The current model has many minor improvements over ours. Longevity of motor doing the towing we do? Don't know - jury is out on that. Do we like it? It does what we want it to effectively and confortably? Check out www.disco2.com for some other thoughs to assist in your decision. Can give you a few other sites if you need them. For the record, we have had a Range Rover, two Landcruisers and this is our second Disco. Don't know that that qualifies us as unbiased..... Myles
AnswerID: 560874

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:08

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:08
Thanks Myles I ask the Landrover dealer just for interest how much their winch was and I nearly fainted wait for it,,,,,$5750 that was what it cost NOT fitted. I went to Every Thing Offroad TJM Maroochydore and had a look at what they had and I like the Ox hydraulic winches at half the price of LR fitted. LR's snorkel was $570 not fitted TJM was close to that fitted so it pays to look around ha. Re the fuel tank opions if I put a larger main tank in it wont fit if I use a Hayman Reese hitch so I would have to look at another style in hitch. I think thats what I might do as I would like to fit the 150lt I can get fitted. I have received the RACQ write up on LR and it was up against Patrol,Pajero, and Jackaroo and the writer has give the LR overall 3star rating but he did with others too. As far as standard features go most in the other 4x4s were options. I think that I can now relax in the knowledge that with aLR I am goiog to be happy when we buy.....Thank you very much ....Lance
AnswerID: 560875

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:09

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:09
Anything with "LR" on it will cost dearly - parts and accessories that is. Fuel filter (the one near the back wheel) is around $125 from the dealer at a service. Same thing from an alternative source I use is $45! Ensure you get a Safari snorkle - and don't take any nonsense from whomsoever you buy it from. The others do not fit as precisely and are said to cause some wind noise as a result. This is from a friend of mine who has another brand. On fooling the ABS.ECT, you don't have to engage low range as I might have written earlier - just the CDL trick. That fix is on the web site I gave and it is a current thread. Myles
AnswerID: 560876

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:10

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:10
Hi Lance, We have an OX hydraulic winch fitted by TJM Everything Off Road, and I have found that it is VERY VERY SLOW in winching mode, I have previously had electric winches and thought that I would try the OX, but if I had my choice again, I would stick with the electric models. We are only at Noosa if you would like to see it operating before deciding. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560877

Our Sponsors