aussie traveller or sunburst?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:33
ThreadID: 120353 Views:4483 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all! We have just returned from doing final order for 18' BT, delivery date mid-June. Just wondering whether anyone else has opted for the Sunburst awning rather than the Aussie Traveller and have you experienced any problems? As we returned to Darwin we got stranded between Mt Isa and Camoweal at Inca Creek. Spent 2 days waiting for the water to recede to a depth of .8m before we could cross. Our accomodation was an Aussie Traveller roof top tent (which we intend to keep on the LC for REAL off road work (ie Gibb River to Kalumbaru) and all I wanted to know was where was our BT when we needed it most?? Hubby reckons that it was a good thing we didn't have it as everyone else would have been envious and probably not spoken to us. We made the front page of the Brisbane Courier Mail.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cracker - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:46

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:46
Hello Brian, if the "other" awnings were screwed into an aluminium frame as opposed to standard caravan wood, I would think they would have stayed in place also. So I don't know if it's as much an issue as to what type - rather, how its attached. Cracker
AnswerID: 560889

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:47

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:47
I wouldnt hesitate to use an Aussie Traveller on a van. My first one is now over 8 years old and still going strong .....fitted to 4x4(and box trailer) and is 11ft 6" long. They are easy to repair if they blow over the top of van in a gale. I've known of two that have done this from lack of sufficient tie-down. No damage occurred to BT roof and the rubberised joints let go stopping any awning damage/bending. Joints are easily placed back in and the whole awning is easy to work on with normal tools. Aussie Traveller "box" gives a great platform for a sail track to enable a larger tarped area to come out from BT. My tarp comes 5 metres out from BT ...great for an extended stay. Angie, You probably have this in your notes ..... dont forget to order Aussie Traveller in "white" powdercoat. Looks better on BT and doesnt give off "ally black" from ally to ally fretting. From memory was $120 extra without last 2 years of price rises. Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560890

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:48

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:48
Thanks Bob, will give BT a reminder. Anthony, done and dusted. Ordered at my "meeting" with SG when placing the order. Angie
AnswerID: 560891

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:49

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:49
Hope you get the Aussie Traveller type
Angie babe
Regards
Macka
AnswerID: 560892

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:50

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:50
Angie, I spoke to Jan at Aussie Traveler yesterday - you need to call her - 07 3868 3868; fax/07 3868 3869 and start the process. I used Griff's basic layout with the addition of clear windows in the front canvass and sides. Basically the sides will have a 3 x 4 mesh window that is sewn in and covered with clear plastic and canvass; both the clear and the canvass are sewn at the top and zip into place. There is also a mes door on each side that is covered by a rollup canvas. The front long wall is completely Tentex mesh and then there are two pieces that zip at the top and down the sides. Each piece has a 4 x 6 clear sewn in and a canvass rollup cover. See the pic I posted of Griff's awning and you get the idea. My understanding is that once you agree on the design, the bill goes to BT and they arrange for the van to be delivered to Oz Traveller for fitting so that all is ready when you take delivery. Cheers, Jay
AnswerID: 560893

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:51

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:51
Thanks Jay, I need to talk to Ivan about the configuration, and then contact Jan. How did you go about selecting colour? Good one Angie
AnswerID: 560894

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:52

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:52
Jay, I forgot to ask if Jan gave any indication about whether the clear bits will add a fair degree of weight to the whole configuration? Angie
AnswerID: 560895

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:53

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:53
Angie, Aussie Traveller could not supply a weight per sq M .... and would not reveal supplier to find out ....and would not ring manufacturer/supplier to ask them. Strange business practices some of these companies. After some time he did say that the thickness was .5 mm ..... must not be a "State Secret" that info ..... Rang a supplier of plastic sheet and he quoted 625 grams per sq Metre for .5 mm polyester sheet which wont be far off the Acrylic Film that AT probably use. So the weight will be very light really when added to an existing window. I'm thinking I'll put these clears in my annexe walls now also .....great idea in cold areas ....gives a feeling of space with no wind chill !!! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560896

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:54

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:54
Angie, Regarding color, Jan asked me the color of the stripe on the BT and said she would send me some samples that would go with the stripe! Ours is red to match our F-250 Red Beast. tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560897

Reply By: Meg and J - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:55

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:55
Hi everyone Just logged on and found a discussion about the Aussie Traveller's awning. We have been on the road since April last year and will be continuing for quite some time yet. We only have a canvas AT awning. Thought we would wait before ordering the annexe to see if we needed it. Haven't so far, and in fact so many people say that you really don't need them. I think it is a personal choice. The longest we have stayed anywhere is 5 weeks and never thought we needed it once. Did see a great configuration on a van in Broome and the four walls were all mesh and if we were to get one (and probably won't) that would be what we would order. We have experienced a lot of wind coming down the west coast and when everyone else were either rolling their awnings in or adding more ropes, we smugly stayed in bed. Awning never moved once and we have never even had to use the ropes, just always pin the poles down. Once again, a personal choice but you don't need to go to the expense and they are heavy and take up quite a bit of storage room (so we are told by others). We have been travelling in Western Australia for 8 months so far and don't look like leaving for quite a while yet. We are at Augusta at the moment and have quite a bit more to see. Great state. Happy travelling everyone. Meg and J
AnswerID: 560898

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:56

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:56
And Hi to Meg & J
Like you we went for years without roping down the AT awning, even in high wind conditions, just peg it like you do.
Then came the willy willy, out of knowwhere and vicious for about 30 seconds.
Awning over roof, poles bent, small tear in canvas.
Ropes everytime now, even in fine calm weather. (As it was when the ww hit)

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560899

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:57

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:57
I, like TUR15T made the same mistake. At Ayers Rock campground (October,2002) only had the pegs in the bottom of the poles, alas a willy-willy came through and you guessed it, up over the top. Broke the en-suite hatch and pulled the arm rubbers clean out of the awning case. Now have 2 corner ropes each end everytime. TRIAL & ERROR! Rick/Maverick2567
AnswerID: 560900

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:58

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:58
Rick, I too, learnt the hard way .... I was testing a scale drag car at the Brisbane Airport (Circa 1998) and being in the open a wind gust picked up the Aussie Traveller and flung it over the 4x4 ...it was attached to roof rack. I had two 10kg weights holding it down and one hit the door inflicting severe damage. Since then, in sand, I now use 75cm star pickets with a "U" shackle to put rope through ...and on BT I drive in very large tent pegs and run 6mm sail rope rope up to awning outrigger .... So long as doesnt happen twice huh !! [smile] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560901

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:59

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 13:59
I know of another couple who had their legs pegged down using the wire at the bottom of legs, only to have the pole separate at the black plastic tightening screws and blow over the van. When it was repaired at Aussie Traveller they fitted hooks in the top frame area of the awning for guy ropes to be attached to. We are now in the habit of pegging down always. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560902

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 14:00

Friday, Jan 23, 2004 at 14:00
Jay, I sent Aussie Traveller an email just after you said about ringing them, but they never responded. I guess I will just have to wait and go through BTi. Maybe they have been "asked" not to talk to strange women from London who wanna buy a BT? LOL. Angie
AnswerID: 560903

Our Sponsors