Water Level Indicators

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:24
ThreadID: 120355 Views:3168 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone come across a good water level indicator? The oval ones I saw at the last Brisbane Caravan Show were around $65 and looked cheap. I prefer something that looks like an instrument and measures 2 tanks. Rosco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:26

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:26
This message has been deleted by the manager or assistant manager.
AnswerID: 560904

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:27

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:27
Rosco
Check some of the marine gauges. Some will handle 3 tanks with one gauge. Some have solid state tank senders, not float arms.
Try this site www.bla.com

I have some reservations about the sender fittings, whether the hydraulic pressure of water slopping around in rough conditions will cause them to be driven out of the drilled hole.
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560905

Reply By: TripnTaps - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:28

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:28
Hi Turist,
Do you have water level indicators fitted to your water
tanks?
Are you familiar with the type BTi install and are they the
type with which you have reservations.

We have asked BTi to quote us to install a water guage on the
potable tank only. Still waiting for them to get back to us but they
didn't seem to keen about fitting them either!

Your advice appreciated.

Regards,
Helen
AnswerID: 560906

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:29

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:29
Helen we did not fit gauges for the reasons discussed.
On a trip over the Tanami we managed to dislodge the tank breather that is on top of the tank secured with a Sikaflex plug.
I put that down to hydraulic pressure from water slopping around.
Just pick up a small drum or ice box and half fill it with water, then rock it from side to side. You will get the picture.
Not sure what gauges BT are fitting, if any.
You will find with experience that you can judge reasonably well how long a tank will last.
With a "tiny" shower each day plus dishwashing, cooking etc we find a tank lasts around 3 days.
The drinking water tank is just that, so, ....how may glasses of water and cuppu's in an 80lt tank? Quite a few.
Good water management means that you top up the drinking water at every opportunity. Never run dry yet.

If you really want a gauge consider a sight gauge, A length of clear plastic tube over the tank drain and held vertical beside the tank attached to the frame with a zip tie.
Open the drain tap and you can see the water level.
Means getting down under but fail safe. (Just remember to close the drain tap)
Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560907

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:30

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:30
Re sight tube TUR15T mentioned. We have one on our water tank but its not very good as it gets covered in dirt and the water level cant be seen. This can be cleaned but its a pain. Re water management this is critical in remote areas. We have an external shower which is plumbed to source water from the van and from an external source such as a bucket. This allows water to be used from rivers, bores etc for showers thus conserving drinking water. If this system is used a second water pump has to be used to prevent contamination of the drinking water. Vidas
AnswerID: 560908

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:31

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:31
Turist, I have installed sight gauges on all four tanks. The drain taps have been relocated to a Tee. From the other outlet on the Tee I have connected two elbows to go across the bottom of the chassis, then a clear plastic tube to another elbow attached to the underside of the floor. from this elbow I made a loop (similar to the overflow pipe to prevent dust and bugs from getting in. The loop sits inside the chassis. To view water level you just bend over to look at the clear tubes. Two are behind the wheels and two in front. Cost? About $25 and a few hours on your back!! I also made galvanized sheeting shields to protect the plumbing. Its all about the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Cheers...............Rob
AnswerID: 560909

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:32

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:32
Rob, Any chance you could post some photos on the pictures site for us non technical people. Macka
AnswerID: 560910

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:33

Saturday, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:33
Macka, I have just aquired a new digital camera and have been unsuccessfully trying to post some photos on this thread....so far! However, I have successfully posted them into my BOG photo album if you'd like to have a look at them there. Cheers.............Rob
AnswerID: 560911

Our Sponsors