landrover I think

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:20
ThreadID: 120359 Views:6444 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
To Mylesand Kathy1. Thanks Myles I went to landrover the other day at Maroochydore for a second look of many before we buy and the salesperson was a bit of a ,,,,, he said that the dico doesnt come with a sub tank because of the fuel it uses or doesnt use.From where and where on the disco did you put the sub tank and do you think it is safe to carry fuel in the back of the disco. If I can get away with it I am not fitting a roof rack because of wind resistence.I have read a road test that said the disco's traction control gets in the way when driving through sand as it want to brake all the time when the wheels may need to spin to keep moving what are your thoughts on that one. Can you give me any info on reuseable air filters with a snorkle fitted as the salesperson did not know any thing and he is selling them. Even a test drive he wanted to come with me but I had to book a day with him....Thankyou very much for all so far......Lance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:22

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:22
Hi Lance and welcome to the forum.
A hint to keep the forum postings tidy.
When you start a "Thread", ie, your thread re Landrovers, try to keep the messages within the thread.
Instead of clicking on "New Discussion" when posting about the same or similar subjects click on the "Reply" section on the message board.
Keeps everything in order and makes it easier to research the subject if required.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560933

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:23

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:23
G'day Lance Not much room for a sub tank on a Disco. If you want more fuel capacity, try a replacement tank. They are available from about 120 lt to 150 lt from various suppliers such as TJM, Opposite Lock and ARB. Be careful though as you will not (and should not try to) get the last 5 or so litres out of the tank. I understand that the submerged fuel pump requires fuel for cooling, hence care is needed. Run the tank dry a couple of times and you will be up for a new pump as a few have found out. This is not just a LR thing by the way. Try this site also for long range tanks for LR: www.longrangeautomotive.com.au Carrying fuel in back of car can be dicey I suppose, particularly petrol. Diesel is safer. If I had to, I would carry three jerrys of diesel in back of a cargo barrier, properly restrained, for emergencies. Snorkles? Fit one and go with a Safari. It is a much neater fit than the alternatives and cheaper than the LR one (made by Safari anyway). Stick with standard air filter element - does the job adequately and not overly expensive. With a roof rack, you are limited to a 75 kilo load if my memory serves me correctly. Rhino bits and pieces will make you a good one capable of carrying a tinnie if you want to. Wind resistance? Not worth worrying about - does not effect vehicles performance and adds only a small amount of wind noise with tinnie aboard. Hope this helps a little. And, yes, 4WD sales people can be frustrating in their lack of product knowledge. Not just a LR thing either. Myles
AnswerID: 560934

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:24

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:24
To Tur15t thanks mate new at this....Lance
AnswerID: 560935

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:25

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 00:25
Lance I missed the traction control (TC) issue. If you are buying the current model Disco I understand the issue you refer to has a solution. In the current model LR have reinstated the center differential lock (CDL). In low range, if owner's postings on international LR sites are to be believed, ABS and TC can be turned off. The trick I have read is to start the vehicle initially with CDL engaged and afterwards disengage it. CDL apparently automatically cancels ABS and TC. To reactivate, you simply stop the motor and restart it without the CDL engaged. Try http://forums.disco2.com/ for some informed discussion on this. Run all of this past your friendly sales rep and watch him blanch! Personally I have not had any bad experiences with TC in sand and I've been in a bit of it from time to time. Can still get to the top of Big Red without any problems (with a lot of noise under the truck though!) when others seem to make heavy weather of it. In desparate situations you can simply pull the ABS/TC fuse as some Toyota and Nissan owners have been known to do to imobilise their ABS for particular reasons. Yes, it is done and I've been there when it was... Myles
AnswerID: 560936

Our Sponsors