BTI and the Boggers #2

Submitted: Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:05
ThreadID: 120364 Views:3484 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
This is the first email I received from the Directors in response to my email: "We are going to continue to make all practical modifications possible to satisfy your requirements, and give you the extra service that you need... However, the purpose of this message is to tell you that there are other expenses in installation of things like the 1800 watt inverter that you have not accounted for. Our price is an installed price with safety devices and large cables and automatic switching, and things like a very large triple circuit breaker midline on the 12v supply and such other things that you are not aware of.... You need to realize that the 240volt sub-boards have to be increased in size to get the automatic switching to all the outlets in the van, there are split circuits because the inverter does not charge up all the outlets or you would have some closed loops like in the case of the battery charger.... You may of course continue shopping and purchase the equipment elsewhere, but our Shop Rates of $60 /hour plus materials and GST will apply to the installation. I just don't want you to think that you are getting discounted equipment elsewhere and not take into account the installation and warranty here. Our prices are not just for the equipment. And sometimes the equipment is not compatible with the Outback or other equipment and the Owner second guessing us comes to grief for reasons he could not be expected to know... There is a lot more to the proper installation than you may think and I don't want you to get a shock when you
find out the actual costs... The same goes and is true for the Plasmatronics... First of all you might ask yourself why I don't have the
PL40 in my own van??? It is just not user friendly like out solar reg. Also we have tested and are in production of our own Solar regulator that
will have all the digital readout, and more LED lights for monitoring the system in all phases, plus PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) and all the features of the Plasmatronics and the Morningstar together in a more user friendly setout and in 40 amp configuration... This has been in development for over a year and the first one has been in service in my horse truck in extreme conditions since last year and is faultless and more user friendly with the readouts and constant LED for all charge and battery conditions and faults and safety mechanisms at a glance.... The problems is the same with consultation with people on the BOG site and other so called authorities: No matter how well meaning, they are not the professionals that we are, with hundreds and hundreds of applications and ongoing research and development on a continuing basis... We really are the Experts. The Plasmatronics is a good unit and will do the job, but is not as efficient at Customer ease of operation as the one we currently offer; and is no where near the one coming on line in the next four weeks with all the positive features of both, plus much more, and in a 40 amp format for five panels... You are the second to be offered the unit, now I am sure the cat is out of the bag. Bob Lemon will receive the first... Now, don't take this wrong, personally we do not care whether you purchase it here or somewhere else. We just don't want you to be upset with us, when you get the bill for the installation, and we will not want to know about any Warrantee issues on that equipment. Again, I am just writing this to try and look out for you, in good Customer Relations, don't take it wrong, just letting you know of the full implications with no surprises.. We are going to have to do proper charging for people that outsource equipment, as our costs cover installation features that people do not take into account.. Another example is one person providing their own batteries, without taking into account the bronze marine terminals, proper cables and ends and sealing, battery boxes reinforced with fibreglass with drains and gas venting out the bottom and top- incase of a malfunction, clamshell covers on the outside venting, labour and GST all on board... They might think they are getting cheaper batteries but will lose it all back and more when we do all the installation.. Battery cable can be quite long and costly with installation, to other equipment, and people need to take all of this and more on board... And one more thing, you have our permission to put this one on the BOG site. No matter how well meaning people are, we really are the Experts and do it full time, and have the ongoing research and development. People second guessing us sometimes have limited perspectives not taking into account the broader view and experience that we have doing it full time with a large team onboard, or are not aware of how things suffer on the corrugation or interface with other equipment, or how they react to the inconsistent or low voltage or off-frequency conditions of power supplies in the Outback... In your best interests, and hello to the BOG Site, from the Directors at Bushtracker"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:07

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:07
As the founder and manager of the BOG site I support the comments above.
I would have preffered that they come directly from BTI but I also understand that they have a business to run and full time monitoring and posting replies is not really practible.

I am sure that there are also positive results for BTI from this site, some members have mentioned to me that their decision to purchase was heavily influenced by this site.

And Steve, when you get to read this, there are the profits from the additional items, Webasto Heaters etc, fitted as a direct result of postings on this forum. Think positive mate, we are not here to re-invent your business, just to (hopefully) help improve an already fantastic product.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560981

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:08

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:08
Turist said "they have a business to run" Angie says: "Yes, and I don't want anyone holding them up from finishing all the other BTs ordered for this year so they can get ours started!" (Angiescrackin'the whipgrin) Angie 183 days to go
AnswerID: 560982

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:09

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:09
Like Bob, I would also like to support what Steve has said, and add that most companies try to get out of warranty repairs whereever they can. By supplying parts for BTI to install, if a fault developes then they may try to blame it on the installation when you make a claim direct as BTI are not reponsible. BTI will no doubt say they installed it correctly, and you may need an expensive lawyer to argue the case in court. The only thing that I had installed that BTI did not recommend was the Wingard TV antenna, Steve didn't think it would stand up to the rough roads, so I supplied it and they installed it for me on the understanding that it would not be covered by any warranty from BTI. Fortunately for me 2 1/2 years later it is still operating correctly and has stood up to many a rough road. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 560983

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:10

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:10
Brian, Yeah right !!! If that is the case why did BTi tell me to go to the manufacturer to claim a warranty on the faulty parts on my BT door ???? I didnt supply the door for them to fit ...they did. I went to Camec with broken parts in hand to be replaced and they wanted to see van before they would replace them. So back home ...hitch up BT drive all the way to Camec ...see parts in place ... parts then replaced. What about people that have had problems with their fridges do BTi do any warranty repair for them ??? What about any air-con issues BTi again is it ???? Rightly or wrongly a scare campaign is gathering ...... if you dont use BTi supplied equipment you will have warranty issues and that is not right. Obviously all equipment that BTi use that is outsourced is warranted by the manufacturer not BTi so any probs would be takem up with them anyway. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560984

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:11

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:11
Anthony's comments reflect the other side of "doing business". If BTI wants us to refrain from outsourcing then they must interface with the dealers and manufacturers from whom they buy when we have a problem with products supplied by BTI. Fair is fair - can't collect retail dollar, charge for installaton, and then walk away saying "go talk to the dealer." At least that is what I think Anthony is getting at ........... tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 560985

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:12

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:12
Exactly Jay .... Steve Gibbs wrote: <start> We just don't want you to be upset with us, when you get the bill for the installation, and we will not want to know about any Warrantee issues on that equipment. <end> Here he implicates that if you put any equipment in that they dont recommend they wont warrant it and you have to go travel to the manufacturer of the particular equipment and claim from them. What about my Camec door problems you saw those in the flesh ...and the massive vibration in my aircon unit one month after delivery ???? Both I had to fix by consulting the manufacturers of the components ....with some bother I might add. The aircon especially ...ended up repairing it myself after finding the problem. Both times I was fobbed off by Peter at BTi ...by him saying "A problem with the door" Mmmmmmmm !!! You better take that up with Camec ...same result with aircon ...... In my naivety I should have called Steven Gibbs maybe ??? Everyone claims to have great warranty ease with BTi ...maybe I was singled out for some brick walling ??? I have a great problem with my front two tanks at the moment ....both are leaking at the outlet barb. I've tried to stop them leaking without removing the tanks to no avail. Looks like the jointing compound has let go or broken down over time (2years). I spoke to another owner recently whose tanks all leaked and it was never solved to his satisfaction. Thats ok though !! Some time ...money ...and research I will eventually solve the problem myself after pulling all tanks out ...... not too bad for $70,000 !!! The tanks are outsourced by BTi as are the barbs ..... so I'm off to the tank manufacturer trying to find the composition of the tank plastic. This will enable me to search for a suitable matching compound that adheres to the poly to seal the tank barbs. Maybe I'll try the barb maker ...or the sealing compound maker they can all pass the buck around as usual and this self-appointed expert will fix it himself. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560986

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:13

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 06:13
Anthony, Our van has now travelled over 60,000km in 2 1/2 years over all kinds of roads and has required some minor repairs. All I can say is that when we had a problem with fridge, BTI got the parts in for me and I was able to change of the faulty bits myself with out taking the van to them. When we have had problems with the windows, I have taken van to BTI and they fixed or replaced the damaged parts, When the lock in a water filler cap packed it in, BTI sent a new cap to the nearest Post Office to where we were in WA for me. and when there was a problem in the stove their installer repaired it. ALL UNDER WARRANTY. I am very happy with BTI after sales service. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 560987

Our Sponsors