Bunks in an 18 footer

Submitted: Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:35
ThreadID: 120366 Views:5621 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at buying a bushtracker later this year and have been reading the posts to the site for some time and found it very helpful reading the posts of those who already have Bt's. Before this site was started I searched the net in vain for any comment on BTI and the caravan press seem to studiously ignore the brand. I have a 100 series diesel cruiser and do not want to tow much more than an18 foot van to avoid too much weight but need to be able to house myself my better half and 3 children (who are all under 3). I have spoken briefly with BTI and they have suggested variously - that 3 bunks cannot be fitted/that 3 bunks can be fitted across the back of a BT..... Although the children are only small at the moment I am planning to keep the van for the long term and need to be sure that they will fit in the van. I would welcome any input from those with vans configured as family vans (or anyone else with a view). Would getting the van built higher make it easier to fit bunks/ensure that the bunks had some headroom ? I look forward to any comments members may have. Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:37

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:37
G'day Andrew, In view of recent posts I'm not sure we should discuss BT layouts as only BTi would know if it can be done or not !!!! What the hell hey !!! I'm gunna run the gaunlet ..... The following are the thoughts and musings of the author and in no way reflect any policy, design or layout of a Bushtracker Caravan either real or inferred by the management of BTi or their staff. Furthermore the authors comment is not any official policy, reference or implication from the Bushtracker Owners Group or its Managers. It is the authors own ramblings listen to them at your own risk. MMMmmm ! Five in a Bushtracker 18 huh ! Interesting idea ...hard to implement ! You might get away with it (very slim chance) if you forgo the island bed and turn it sideways ..... this will allow everything to go forward somewhat ..... If you then shift the door forward enough to allow the ensuite to be on the door side as you walk in ...you might get the bunks across the back full width .... with the third where the ensuite is normally. I've seen this layout at the rear in bigger vans. The 2 bunks at the rear would be nearly 7ft6" across giving leg for the bunk up the side ..... You might have to sacrifice some settee space to allow the third bunk to run along starboard side ???? You might have problems finding a spot for the hot water system ???? Fridge,Sink,Stove still has to fit between bed and door ???? Another way might involve utilising the settee to make a bunk ???? Pain to move up and down every day ??? Here is a pic of back triple bunk in a big BT ..... Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 560990

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:38

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:38
Hello Andrew I to have three kids a 3 year old boy and twin 18month old boys, We researched a lot of vans before deciding on a BT 21 which we take delivery on the 5th april, this is the same layout as the picture anthony listed, we looked at vans from 18 and up but found that 3 extra foot would not really be a problem weight wise or the extra length would cause problems. You must consider though that 5 people in anumber of years will need to fit in the van to sleep comfotable and all eat inside if the weather is bad. A 21 is about as small as possible in my view to do all this easily. You do need to consider water usage and thinks like that, as this will add more weight than extra 3ft. If you are going to the Melb Show our van will be on display so you can have a good look at it. Feel free to ask me any questions about our van if you need more info Rod Betts
AnswerID: 560991

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:39

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:39
Lots of people think that the Bushtrackers are much heavier than other brands of vans because they just look so much bigger than the same length van of other brands. In reality though, if you compared apples with apples by removing the weight of Solar panels, several batteries, several extra water tanks, battery charger, inverter, six16" 4X4 rims and tyres and replace them with 5 14" car rims and tyres I think that you will find that both vans would be a similar weight. We have a 21ft van for just the 2 of us, and like Rod said things would get very crowded for 5 people in and 18ft van (especially if you want a shower/toilet), then you have to find somewhere to store all your personal belongings etc. The Landcruiser will easily tow caravans up to their maximum towing capacity of 3500kg so long as they are well balanced and have the correct ball weight. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 560992

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:40

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:40
Rob,
just doing research for when I finally do get
the cash to buy would you consider an 18ft BT long enough for 2
people.
Thanks in advance
Macka/peter
AnswerID: 560993