Smoke alarms

Submitted: Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:21
ThreadID: 120368 Views:3162 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Gary's photo demanded this thread ! Smoke Alarms Anybody have them installed? Results? Brands? tigintl-tgintl-tgintl/jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:23

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:23
That sure is a scary photo ....sigh !!!! Would be hard to hear a detector with BT closed up ???? Might need to trigger an external waterproof siren in my case ...BT closed .... and inside house ???? Sarcasm on : Better check with BTi about circuit boards in detector and corrugations ??? Warranty issues ???? Batteries might have to be glued in ??? Sarcasm off: Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561000

Reply By: Luvntravln - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:24

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:24
Sarcasm Off: How about a suggestion for those of us sleeping in our BTs all year long! Sarcasm On: tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561001

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:25

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:25
Jay you can get smoke detectors that can be hard wired to the van system, no need to remember to replace batteries.
We have been camped near vans with smoke alarms and they seem to be prone to going off with only a suggestion of smoke in the air, possibly due to the confined space in the van.
One alarm sounded continuously in a van that was parked about 30 metres downwind from our small campfire. (The owners were bushwalking)
They will definitely go off if you like well done toast.
A lot of insect repellent sprays will also set them going.
The answer of course is an isolating switch but then....remember to turn it on at the appropriate times.
A "Rate of rise" heat detector may be appropriate for vans, they detect 'quick' changes in temperature above normal atmospheric rises and are used where smoke detectors trigger when not required.
We use them in the engine rooms of boats. Maybe worth looking in to.

Regards
Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561002

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:26

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:26
Please note that the above posting was without a hint of sarcasm.

Turist
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 561003

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:27

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 16:27
We have the standard battery type smoke detector fitted, everytime we make toast (no burning) the alarm starts sounding at the other end of van, so we have become very proficient at removing the battery quickly. They also go off when heat from the oven escapes when you open the door. The only advantage that I see with them is that they will wake you up should the extremely unlikely short circuit happen while you are asleep. I personally wouldn't be putting anything better than the standard battery type in. It just isn't worth the expense. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 561004

Our Sponsors