Water sterilizers

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:09
ThreadID: 120371 Views:3250 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Jeff, I am not going to allow the BTI/Boggers thread to be diverted to either fishing or water sterilizers. You said: "Sure we probably made mistakes, the water sterilizer being one, (lots of red wine in that little baby)" Please tell me more - we have told BTI we will go with their unit because we intend to do a lot of "bush" travel (we are living aboard full time), and I just as soon filter/sterilizer some of the water that is considered potable in some of the places Jackie plans to visit. You imply that two years down the track you would not have put it in if you knew then what you know now. What do you know now? Thanks, tgintl/jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wadefarers - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:15

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:15
Jay After speaking to you yesterday I had a little thought (can't pressure the brain too much you know). I was thinking of trying the unit at home just to see how it works (if I can remember after 2 years). That should give me some idea of system and how long it would take to pump up 20 litres. As discussed though, because we haven't been out far enough or long enough to use the system, doesn't mean it wouldn't be good. For you (and Angieand others) using the BT as your home, it would probably be good to have. Will have a little play next weekend and let you know how it went. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 561009

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:16

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:16
Jay, We don't have a steralisation unit, but have a carbon filter in a clear canister fitted between pump and potable water tank. Should change filter annually apparently. For when we are in places where mains water is available we have another carbon filter in an opaque canister (required for exterior use) that hangs on a couple of hooks under the van and is fitted in the hose line from the tap. This works well and when on mains water we only ever use water from the mains supply, not the potable tank. I believe that the full steralisation filtration system slows down the pumping rate considerably, but for people who have health problems requiring such pure water, that is a small price to pay. You seem to be worried about water supply for periods when you will be camped out in the bush. In reality I don't believe you will have a problem as you will have to regularly go into towns for food supplies. Could I suggest a couple of options for extra potable water. (i) Have 2 tanks that can be filled via the potable water inlet filler. On one of the tanks the suction line could then have a "T" piece in it so that either the Potable or non potable pumps could draw from it depending on your needs. (ii) Carry a water bladder in your vehicle and when you know you are going into bush locations for extended periods fill that for extra potable water. It can also be refilled when you go into town for extra food supplies. Phil, the 8 bar is 8 times atmospheric pressure, which is well above what our pumps are capable of. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561010

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:17

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:17
Boggers, The beauty of this site is demonstrated everyday - thanks for saving me $2500.00! We sat down and carefuly analyzed the amount of potable water we will be carrying and determined that between the tank in the BT (80), the tank in the F-250 (60), and an extra bladder (85) when we went bush for a long period, we had 70 days at 3L per day for drinking and cooking. And, that assumed that we had put nonpotable water into our other tanks. Back to the drawing board to install a top grade non-UV filter from Amway under the sink tapped into the drinking water pipe. Cheer, tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561011

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:18

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:18
Interesting stuff on the Filters. In our case we use a Doulton Supercarb Ceramic Filter which has a two stage function. The first is the "Sterasyl" ceramic which incorporates silver locked into the ceramic -supposedly to reduce fine particulate matter, bacteria, cysts and turbidity. The second stage is an inner core of carbon block which is supposed to remove chlorine and organic compounds. The beauty of the cartridge is that you can take it out, clean it under running water with a stiff brush or scourer, and re-use it. The filter can operate at about 5 litres per minute and we use it in-line in the drinking water hose BEFORE the water goes into the Potable tank. We do this regardless of whether the water is from a town water supply, rainwater tank (which we prefer) or a mountain stream below a waterfall. This way we hopefully won't contaminate the tank and won't need a filter at the pump. We carry a "no-thread tank tap" connector as well as the two sizes of threaded tap connectors. Our home is on tank water even though we have town water connected. It is much better and we use 43% less town water than we did pre rainwater system. We are happy with the van water. Cheers...............Rob.
AnswerID: 561012

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:19

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:19
Rob, Your only weak link now as you know is that the potable tank can be contaminated .... unlikely but possible. Less ramifications for an adult verses child anyway. I have noticed recently that all my clear fill tubes on all tanks have algae built up in them, being clear tube, light gets in and although I empty tanks (and flush before next fill) there is enough moisture in tubes with light source to grow algae. I'll be removing tubes and flushing with sodium hypochlorite to remove algae ... maybe even doing it with tubes still on to flush tanks as well in case algae has broken off and settled in tank. Once again more for the kids than adults. The algae is what has me searching for a filter to place between potable tank and tap (post pump). Filtering for taste is a great bonus though. From new my potable has only been filled by hose at home (Bris water) so is a chlorinated supply. Obviously the chlorine levels in the supply are not enough to stave off algal growth in a still tube with light available. The light denatures the chlorine. The algae in fill tubes did surprise me .... I've been filling potable for two years and only noticed algae on last fill. I was thinking of painting tubes black with bitumen paint after cleaning but algae might still grow over a longer period and then I wouldnt see it. Rock and a hard place. Anyone else have algae in fill tubes ??? Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561013

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:20

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:20
A couple of months ago I noticed some algae in our clear water fill hoses under the van and didn't know what to clean it with, Thanks for the tip Anthony. Maybe new van owners might be well advised to specify a black flexible fill tube to prevent light causing algea in their vans. It may well lead to another BTI modification to their vans as a result of feed back from the BOG site. Brian

AnswerID: 561014

Reply By: Bushtracker42 - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:21

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:21
I believe you will have to go to Victoria
to only use 3 litres a day. Wine/Beer dehydrates you of course and cannot be
substituted so this may be an additional load.

We are still to go seriously bush, but our initial estimate
was 5 litres//day for the two of us, with a usable capacity of 70 litres/tank.
We got 2 potable tanks +3 non potable on the BT, and with soon to be 60 litres
in the car. We expect 35-40 days.

Any experienced boggers can give some actual usage
figures?

PS – We have space for one more tank but need
another tap for the wine.

----------------------

Gary Harding

TriSys Engineering/III

AnswerID: 561015

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:22

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:22
Rob,
Is there any chance you could develop slime in the
tank?
Just wondering
Macka
AnswerID: 561016

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:23

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:23
Hi - From BTI Re: Algae "1) Store the van with tanks dry when not in use. 2) A cup of bleach in each tank filled [to the top of the filler hose] and soaked over night at least once or twice a year, then drained and flushed a couple of times cures all... Algae is not the problem, fungus and anaerobic bacteria is the real problem, and this does it all... stg..."
AnswerID: 561017

Reply By: Luvntravln - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:24

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:24
Perhaps the solution short of a UV system is a filter such as described by Rob when filling the potable tank, and a less expensive filtration material/carbon filter under the sink to refilter and further the plastic taste that might develop as the water sits in the tank. Thoughts? tgintl/jay
AnswerID: 561018

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:25

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:25
Potable water usage. As a rough guide for the 2 of us I believe we use between 2 and 3 litres in cups of tea and coffee plus 4 to 5 litres of water per day. We don't drink the amber fluid so consume more water that a lot of people. When you allow for drinks for visitors or cooking vegetables in, our 80 litre tank lasts about a week. Number of water tanks. I think Robs idea of having 2 potable tanks is a good one, but what I think would work best is if the second potable tank is filled through the potable water inlet, and then when the suction hose comes up into the van it could have a "T" fitting and taps and this would allow it to be drawn from either potable or non-potable pumps, which ever had the greatest need at the time. Most people can survive quite well on 1 potable water tank, but all our non-potable tanks so far (nearly 3 yrs) have always been filled from a town water supply, in reallity we have 5 potable water tanks available. Filling hose. As for filling I think the clear plastic hoses should be painted black or replaced with black plastic to prevent the sunlight causing the algae in the first place. Brian

AnswerID: 561019

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:26

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:26
Thanks tgintl/Jay, some of us is still learning Macka/peter
AnswerID: 561020

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:27

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:27
Yeah Jay, my thoughts exactly.
Macka/peter
AnswerID: 561021

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:28

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:28
Anthony,
There is a type of algae that grows from the side
of the tank and according to Bill Molison (permaculture) is infact
beneficial in that it cleans the water and absorbs the heavy metals. Gypsum
added to your tank in the form of rock is a good way to
go.
Regards
Macka/peter
AnswerID: 561022

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:29

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:29
The stuff of life --- water. When we are away from a good potable water source we clarify the available water with a swimming pool clarifer, and allow to settle over night in a bucket. This is fine for washing and the like. Constant bathing in muddy river or dam water can cause skin problems, ususlly a rash or simple scaling of the epidermis. The occasional wash in clarified water prevents this. The reality of drinking water is that streams etc should not be used. Filters, carbon or otherwise do not effectively remove the taste in some waters. Additionally pathogens can "grow through" a filter. All filters have their limits. If we are forced to use ground or river water we settle it in a bucket then boil it then pass it through a simple Britta jug type filter. Low cost, effective and easily cleaned. Actual potable water usage for drinking and cooking is 5 litres per person per day in 30 - 35 C temperatures and it goes up dramatically with the temperature. The 3 litres you quote is a bit low. We carry 80 litres in the BT tank and up to another 80 litres in 20 litre containers in the Patrol. Have fun John
AnswerID: 561023

Our Sponsors