Battery chargers

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:48
ThreadID: 120377 Views:3080 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 35 Amp charger installed in our July 2003 caravan with three solar panels and three glass mat batteries. Everything has worked fine so far, but a low, grating sort of a rumbling noise has become evident from the charger recently. We don't recall hearing it when the van was new. Would anyone like to comment whether this is normal or an indication that all is not well? Jan and John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:50

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:50
G'day Jan & John, I spoke to an owner that had theirs replaced because it became noisy. They couldnt get to sleep if the charger was on ..... BTi replaced it for them under warranty. A quick call to BTi would be in order to check with them to make sure all is well. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ..Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561057

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:51

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:51
The noise is probably from vibration in the casing. We put a rubber washer under the transformer bolt and mounted whole charger on mud flap rubber and that removed almost all the noise. The latest model BT chargers have ribs under the casing to stop the vibration noise. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561058

Reply By: Bogger John - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:52

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:52
Thanks for your reply, Anthony. When I was at Bushtracker recently I
raised the matter with Peter who made vague comments about how these chargers do
a lot of work, you know. Now I'll be calling in soon to get some
definitive action. Fortunately we just live up the hill in Maleny,

best wishes,

John and Jan
AnswerID: 561059

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:53

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:53
John, I don't know where Peter got the idea that they do a lot of work. Most battery chargers in Bushtracker vans do very little work, because the solar or tow vehicle takes care of supplying all the power needed 98% of the time. I think if you have a battery charger enquiry you should speak to Alan, the electrician who has the job of finding out what the problems are, and from his experience should have an answer for you. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561060

Our Sponsors