240V power supply for WAECO fridges

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:27
ThreadID: 120378 Views:7385 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of buying the Mobitronic multivoltage adaptor MPS-50 that connects to 240Volt mains power and is suitable for all Waeco fridges with Danfoss BD35F and BD50F compressors. The reason I am considering it is if there is a problem with your battery charger and you are in conditions not suitable for any or much solar charging, then the fridge which is the main user of battery power could be run on 240 volt and you would save battery power for lighting and pumps etc. The advertised sats in WAECO booklet are Input Voltage: 110 to 240 Volts AC Output Voltage: 27V DC Output Current: 6A Output Power: 150 Watts Dimensions: W 120 x H 70 x D 200 mm Weight: 1 Kg approx Battery Voltage: 12/24 Volts Quality Features: Switch mode, automatic priority for mains operation. Cost $139.00 RRP or if we had of purchased with fridge only $100.00 Has anyone got one or any comments one way or the other about using them. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:29

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:29
Brian, To wire this in might require some sort of isolator on the existing feed for the fridge. Oh duh !!! I just realised, activate fridge circuit breaker ..... to achieve that ... You might want to hard wire a plug to fridge power input that has a matching plug on new power supply. That keeps new power pack away from fridge when on battery power. BTi sparky can confirm/deny here after seeing unit. Collyn ? If this is just for emergency while getting charger fixed or replaced that would be a minimal investment for the safeguard. Especially at a pinch depending on location you could power fridge off 240v on Honda genny. When it is all said and done though I'd put money towards a spare charger carried on board ... then just change charger. If charger has problems you have to fix or replace anyway. Next to the solar the chargers are our lifeblood and it doesnt hurt to carry a spare when far from civilisation. Dont forget with a genny and a spare charger you can charge vehicle without removing/disconnecting BT charger. You can even help someone out with a flat battery by taking genny and charger to them ... food for thought ! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561061

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:30

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:30
Brian MPS-50 is a good unit - supplied also for Coolmatic fridges. As Anthony says I think you will have to disable the 'auto on' feature as i think this ensures the fridge draws mains power as first preference. May need switching - best bet is to ask the BTI sparky. Spare charger is another approach, but your way does provide a belt and braces approach - and I'm never against that! Collyn
AnswerID: 561062

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:31

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:31
Hello Brian, The MPS50 if wired correctly will auto switch between mains power and battery power, with mains taking priority. As Collyn has said these are good units, but if your thinking of running one off a genset……… Waeco Australia has just issued to it's dealers a bulletin stating, "It is not recommend to run a Waeco refrigerator from a generator through an AC adapter, as damage may occur to the adapter or the refrigerator" they go on to mention the MPS50. I suspect they have had some failures due to some of the cheaper not so well voltage regulated gensets on the market. If it was me I would be looking at a backup charger that could be kept portable. Regards, MrVal MOTORHOMES AUSTRALIA Team leader CMCA Q1603 val@fridge-and-solar.net
AnswerID: 561063

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:32

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:32
Thanks for the comments received. I bought the 240volt adapter and fitted it today. The wiring is simple. Connect the 12 volt wires from battery to adapter terminals B+ & B-, then connect the 2 wires from the fridge to terminals C+ & C-, plug the 240 volt lead in and the wiring is complete. When 240 volt supply is on, the unit then automatically switches from 12 volt supply to 240 volt and transforms that power down to 27Volt DC. The (RRP) cost is $139 but if it is bought with the fridge it is only $100. If anyone is thinking of having one of these fitted in a van not yet built, could I recommend that you have BTi fit a 240volt plug in the rear of the fridge cavity with a switch that is on the outside of the cabinet. This plug needs to be wired so that it is only available for 240 mains supply, and not from the inverter. I had to drill a hole to get the power from inside the fridge cabinet to the power point, that has supply from both mains and inverter. Reason for fitting Battery chargers all seem to make a humming noise when they are operating. I found by fixing it on a rubber mount stopped most of the noise, but it is still annoying for someone like myself who is alert to noises that shouldn't be there. If you are connected to mains power and have the battery charger operating, then the charger will keep the batteries at about 14volts, and when it is at 14 volts it goes into float mode and is just ticking over making no noise. I found that as soon as the fridge kicks in during the night, the charger also kicks in to replace the power that the fridge is using and hence the noise starts. With this adapter running the fridge, I will no longer require a battery charger to be turned on, as the solar will easily maintain power for lights and pumps. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561064

Our Sponsors