Tow hitch

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:20
ThreadID: 120381 Views:6256 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
O.K. here we go again.....can any one suggest a supplier in Brisbane for a tow hitch which suits the Bushtracker coupling? I have no idea what it's called...is it the AT35 or something? Does that mean "All Terrain" model 35? We have an ordinary ball coupling on the Cruiser at the present and will have to change it once we hit Brissie. We will be staying on the west side of town in Kenmore so anywhere close-ish would be great... Cheers from The Rockgocs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:22

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:22
The AT35 was designed and manufactured by a Brisbane based company called Vehicle Components. Telephone no. is (07) 3262 2622 and the best contact is Rob Buchanan. Or have a look here - http://www.vehiclecomponents.com.au/index_msie.html The actual tow hitch which works best is the Hayman Reese and there is a distributor just around the corner from Bushtracker called Surf Coast Towbars. I'm sure that soemone at BT could make sure that they have what you need in stock when you arrive. If your tow bar is a Toyota bar that looks like a Hayman Reece bar, then you will need to make a slight modification to the HR hitch because it has a square section tongue and the receiver on the Toyota bar has rounded corners. Nothing that an angle grinder and 5 minutes can't fix (and I speak from experience) - and I haven't had a problem since. By the way, if you intend to fit HR Weight Distribution gear, you get the best alignment for a Land Cruiser it the AT35 coupling on the Bushtracker is mounted UNDER the plate on the draw bar. This prevents the WD bars snagging on the draw bars.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561084

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:23

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:23
Jan, The AT 35 coupling that is on the van will come with the section that bolts to your tow hitch through the same hole that a normal tow ball does. An additional small hole has to be drilled in the tow hitch to secure this fitting from turning, but I am sure BTI must regularly be asked to drill this hole for their customers on most of the tow vehicles that come to pick up a new van. When do you pick up your van? Hayman Reese dealers just around the corner from BTI are Suncoast Towbars 43 Enterprise Drive Kunda Park 07 5445 5588 Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 561085

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:24

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:24
Jan Brian's right on two counts; BT did do the drilling and installation of the AT35 hitch to our Hayman Reese hitch and we got it from Sun Coast Towbars - not Surf Coast as I said (Surf Coast is where I live) - age is a terrible thing!! Pete
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 561086

Reply By: Rockgoc - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:25

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:25
Aaaahhhh, ONCE AGAIN ! Thank you one and all for your valuable assistance...I knew you could be relied on. What on earth would we all do without this website eh?? Many thanks to all. By the way, our delivery date is still "3rd week in March". Apparently the van is not started yet...but just a pile of frames etc on the floor. We had a very nice e mail from Rod & Domenique Betts from Hobart telling us they had seen our "pile" when they were at BTi the other week. Cheers from Jan
AnswerID: 561087

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:26

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:26
Jan, The friendship, willingness to help, from people in the B.O.G. never ceases to amaze me. I can see why Steven T. has had a few headaches with the group for challenging convention but to still be against the group and holding us in contempt is unfair ..... in my opinion. It is a very exclusive club to join (only around 100 avail each year) especially with the long waiting list for delivery. Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561088

Our Sponsors