Wireless TV Monitors etc

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:18
ThreadID: 120382 Views:6030 Replies:12 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone looked at the Wireless TV Monitors where the DVD, Video, Show etc is sent from a transmitter to a receiver in the Monitor and there are no cables connected etc? Similar to the concept of remote headphones or the bluetooth type of wireless access found in phones and laptops I would assume. I wondered if this system is a viable option for those who would like to watch TV out in the annexe or under a tree without running cables. They seem to have a good distance range indoors and outdoors from what I have been reading and have the ability to receive a signal through walls, ceilings and floors. And since we would be carrying our monitor on the bed or somewhere equally as snug it would not get a lot of knocking around if treated carefully. Seems to me it is just another monitor but with a special gadget to transmit a signal? Anyone? Angie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:20

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:20
Sorry, here is a link to a site if you can't imagine what I am talking about.http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/030418-1.html Angie
AnswerID: 561089

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:21

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:21
Looks good to me angie, but you know you can get a setup where your tv and computer combine. Not sure if this is a good idea as my wife and I like to use the computer when the other is watching a show he or she doesn't like ( so much for togetherness) Regards Macka
AnswerID: 561090

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:22

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:22
We never know what you are going to come up with next Angie. One thing that may be a bit of a problem with it is Power supply 100 V AC, 50/60 Hz (when using accessory AC Power Adapter) I didn't see any mention of our 240Volt power. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561091

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:23

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:23
Thanks Brian, Try to keep you guys on your toes occasionally. Angie does have a fascination for the weird and wonderful LOL. I guess Brian from SIM will hopefully respond to this message. Jay has also sent him an email off forum. Need to find out if there is an Australian equivalent. I only by chance happened to spy a wireless TV in a local electrical store window and thought I would investigate. Could be a good option for the BT. Angie
AnswerID: 561092

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:24

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:24
This could quite easily be achieved using what used to be called a "Rabbit". This is a device you feed from a TV (or a DVD/Video recorder) via RCA connectors and it transmits the audio video on a UHF channel. Usually run of 12 volts and a 12 volt plugpack. More common now are devices that run on 2.4Mhz, so they require a unit at both ends since the TV cannot tune 2.4Mhz. If using one of these you could use the video recorder as the TV tuner to avoid the antennae lead to the tv. You would however need a lead from the 2.4mhz receiver to the TV/moniter but this unit is very small and could probably be attached to the display unit easily. Regards avro
AnswerID: 561093

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:25

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:25
Forgot to mention that the 2.4mhz "Rabbits" also usually have a remote control extender as well, so you can control everything from outside as well. These things usually have a 12volt plug pack powering them, so its easy to connect up to 12 volts as well. I know that Jaycar Electronics sell these things for about $160. Regards Avro
AnswerID: 561094

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:26

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:26
G'day Avro, I have AV in/outs on my sat decoder ...so a rabbit will connect to that .... then I can move 12v tv with 2.4meg tuner bit anywhere inside or out with a 12v socket ? MMMmmm ! Interesting .... Last time in the campground for a few of us to view cricket I moved the sat decoder and tv outside on table. Be nice to leave the decoder in situ in the BT and just move TV out to 12v socket. Only downside would be remote has to be pointed at decoder to change channel. That's ok !! Kids are still at an age where they will do anything for dad !!! [smile] Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561095

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:27

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:27
Anthony Anything with RCA video and audio out can connect to these (even your CD but you usually dont get stereo). As I mentioned, some of these even have a remote control extender so your remote could work outside as well. My son has one where he operates the ground floor satelite receiver, video, dvd from his upstairs bedroom, works perfectly. Understand that Dick Smith and a few other electrical stores sell these as well, just make sure you get the one with the remote control extender. If you are into DIY you can get a kit from Oatley Electronics as well, total cost units, plugpacks and antennae about $85.00 plus p&p (mail order) I have one of those but it does not have the remote control extender. Regards avro
AnswerID: 561096

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:28

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:28
You could also connect your rear view camera (if you have one) into one of these then you dont have to run cables back into the car. Or you can get cameras that have the 2.4mhz transmitter built in. Not sure if they are in the shops, but are available on ebay. Regards avro
AnswerID: 561097

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:29

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:29
Avro, Sounds good but in the case of rearview
cameras don't you run 'the risk of interference?
Best Regards
Macka
AnswerID: 561098

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:30

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:30
Macka Yes interference is a risk with this. The 2.4mhz units that I have seen all have 4 different switchable frequencies. However they can transmit up to 100 metres (or even more in ideal conditions) so interference is adefinite possibility. Could be even worse in a caravan park if lots of people start using this (perhaps I should have kept quiet). May need to be a bit careful about the types of videos you watch (wink wink) as others may be tuned in eh. Regards avro
AnswerID: 561099

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:31

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 20:31
I dont watch them type of videos. I got a grandchild. Macka LOL
AnswerID: 561100

Our Sponsors