Tech Discussion Area - Thoughts ?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:17
ThreadID: 120390 Views:3901 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I'd like to put forward that a new area called Tech Discussion (or similar) be created to separate the techy stuff from the General Messages area. With all the threads on WDH and chargers etc dominating the General area it might give some people the idea that the General area is mainly for heavy debate. The result being that the general area gets a bit "heavy" taking away some of the light-heartedness of general discussion. It is my opinion that it is getting bogged down (no pun intended) with tech discussion affecting its original ethos. This would leave the General area less constrained for much more important things like .... laughter, stocking the BT, a bit of cooking banter, trip stories, rally discussion and really anything that takes ya fancy to discuss. This might encourage more people to post ? Looking at the General area now quite a few posts would shift to tech area and general might suffer for awhile ..... so it would be up to all of us to keep contributing to General. Thoughts everyone !!! ?????? Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ... Tow a Bushtracker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:19

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:19
Sorry Anthony I don't agree as some technical things are about safety and everyone should be made aware of these kind of issues and as well there have been some funny sides to technical as well. No I would rather see all in the general forum. Well thats what I think regards Macka
AnswerID: 561137

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:20

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:20
No need to be sorry Macka [smile] ...everyone gets an opinion and if it turns out ... 1-1 (one all) then it stays at it is .... I assumed people would read both .... but fair comment, they might miss something if separated. Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561138

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:21

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:21
Hi Anthony, I think it's a great idea. Move all the tech bits to their own area and let the techies read them there. I love all youse guys but sometimes you do my head in. Macka most people choose to read all the posts anyway so if they choose not to read the tech ones then they make their own choice about issues that might affect their safety. Just as they make their own choice about reading ones to do with fridges or awnings. Interest areas maybe? They will all still appear in the full board list. Angie
AnswerID: 561139

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:22

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:22
True Angie
AnswerID: 561140

Reply By: Wadefarers - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:23

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:23
Anthony Quite happy with your idea. Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 561141

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:24

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:24
I haven't got a problem one way or the other, but I will just make this comment. A large number of threads start off as a Tech matter then change to comedy or something completely non related, and the reverse also happens. Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561142

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:25

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:25
Anthony, I think that is a great idea. It is sometimes hard in text to see things that are ment to be 'tounge in cheek', and because of this in the past some have taken comments the wrong way. We have seen this excelate into something that should never have been. I love the witty banter between members, but I hate anyone beeing offeneded or take something the wrong way. Your TECH AREA sounds like just the way to overcome the problem. Keep general for the fun stuff, and the tech area for straing the brain. Then I think it will be easer to see where everyone is coming from. One Vote 4 Tech Area ADAM
AnswerID: 561143

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:26

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:26
G'day Adam, There have been a few misunderstandings thats for sure. As you know it is hard to convey emotion in text and the same words can have a very different slant when you have tone and facial espression to go on. As pointed out to me the other day from another member .... I've never met a bad BOG member yet and as such no-one would intentionally set out to upset another. Maybe it is more in the interpretation than in the sent message sometimes ! You allowed to borrow that BT yet ..... ??? [smile] Anthony Explore this Great Land ..Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561144

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:27

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:27
In reading about tech info I agree that maybe there is another way to do this. There is a site called disco2.com that have different areas for discussion. Three of them, General, Tech and General non disco. With this set up you can select the topic you want with out impeding on other discussions and you know what is going to be there. Have a look Just A Thought.Lance.
AnswerID: 561145

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:28

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:28
Anthony, You allowed to borrow that BT yet ..... ??? [smile] HA! Im allowed to work on it, on my back covered in dirt from god knows where.... Im allowed to hook it up..... Im even allowed to sit in it, when im clean of coarse...... He even said I can sleep in the annex, if I put it up........ But until the old boy looses his mind and we stick him in a home (working on it) Im afraid no, Im not allowed to borrow it
AnswerID: 561146

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:29

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:29
Hi Anthony, After having spent between 4 and 5 hours a day for the past 10 days trawling through the "General" messages, I fully endorse your idea of separating all the technical stuff from "General" It should make it faster for those, like us, who are new to this BT experiece, and who are on a steep learning curve whilst the BT is on order. We started reading the early messages from Feb 2003 and have read forward, doing the copy/paste thing to create bulky reference documents on subjects we thought would be important, such as Recovery Gear, Tow Vehicles, Weight Distribution Bars, Tyres, Ball Weight, Batteries, Chargers, Electronic gear, Lay-outs, etc. (At some stage they are going to need distilation so we can recall the vital essence of each subject as there is ofter differing advice and comment.) That's why I'm pleased to have purchased Collyn's book on Solar that really Works, -all the electrical basics are in the one easy to read place. May I suggest, if is possible, there be a series of sub-headings withing the Tech section for the recurring topics, like those mentioned above. This should make the site easier for newbies like us to get up to speed and learn about all the things that are so vital, things that we previously didn't know that we didn't know about when ordering that BT!!! If you get the drift. Cheers Noosa-Nomads
AnswerID: 561147

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:30

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:30
Noosa-Nomads et al, I believe several ideas are being looked at to remedy the situation. The "most" being a searchable database/site and the "least" maybe a series of articles/thoughts from everyone, collated and checked by managers, then posted to the docs folder. Lack of public comment from Bob or Pete leads me to believe that a separate tech area in this forum wont be on the cards. Also ..Brians comment that the tech area could get a bit "general" and the general turn a bit "techy" has been niggling at me .... he's probably right and we might end up with two discussion areas the same !!?? Water finds its own level ..... I suppose !! Regards Anthony Explore this Great Land ...Do it Easy ...Tow a Bushtracker
AnswerID: 561148

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:31

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:31
OK, so the management has been slack in answering but we are working on it.
At this time we do not want to seperate the threads as it may only add to the later work load.
The ultimate answer is to have our own website and divorce ourselves from MSN.
Our own website would be more flexible and we could tailor it to suit our own requirements instead of following the fixed and inflexible regime demanded by the MSN format.
There will be costs involved, possibly a small membership subscription to pay for the website host etc so if you want the best then be prepared.
No moves will be made until we are able to present a full picture to the forum.

Regards
Turist

PS. See Angie, I can be ameanable.
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 561149

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:32

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:32
Turist, "...mean... being the operative word. Nice to see you not arguing about this one. Angie 160 long days to go.
AnswerID: 561150

Reply By: Cracker - Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:33

Saturday, Feb 07, 2004 at 23:33
I think it woulde be invaluable to be able to use a "Search" feature as found on yahoo lists etc. This way it would not matter if there was or wasn't a specific tech area. Just type in the word your after eg: generators. and then every email submitted with the word generatorin it will appear. Make life alot easier Cracker
AnswerID: 561151

Our Sponsors